Urban Decay NAKED2

Urban Decay NAKED2

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

So like you, I wanted to know, how do the Naked and Naked 2 palette compare? How similar are they. Well, fairly similar, but not at all identical. First, both palettes have a nice assortment of neutrals. However, I find the Naked palette tends to have a few more dark shades. Darkhorse, Creep,Gunmetal and even Smog are very intense dark shades. In the Naked 2 palette there are really only two really dark shades Blackout (super black) and Busted (dupe for Hustle).

Where I found this palette really stood apart from the first was in the color tones and finishes. I prefer the matte shades in this palette. The mattes in Naked, I thought, were too orangey and golden. I did not care for Buck or Naked for this reason. The Naked 2 palette gives us Foxy, Bootycall (subtle shimmer, think Sin, less pink) and Tease. Tease has a rosy undertone that Buck lacked and Foxy is the perfect neutral highlight color.

For swatch comparisons I recommend the blog Lipglossing. I found her swatches and comparisons more in line with what I saw in person. Even more so then Temptalia, who is usually the source for the best swatches.

I have no opinion on the brush, it looks fine, it will be good for travel or entry level beauty enthusiasts. But I have my favorite brushes and this will not replace any of them. Plus being dual ended makes it harder to store with my other brushes. I personally would have preferred another dual eyeliner, like launched with the original Naked palette.

So, ultimately what we all ask ourselves is, "Do we need both?" If you have only a passing interest in neutrals, no, you don't need both. Although if you have neither, I think Naked 2 is the stronger palette to buy. If you are a fan of neutrals, if you dream in taupe, then the answer is yes....you need this palette and really, be honest with yourself...you KNOW you are going to buy it anyway.

on 12/3/2011 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: The way everyone else seemed to feel about the original, is the way I feel about this one (sans the insanity, but loaded with satisfaction).

Verve & Pistol are my two new faves, getting a lot of action in this wintery time. But even the so called "dupes" for some of the other shades in Naked 1 have much better undertones for my NW20 complexion than the original. Also, this palette has at least 3 great highlight shades that really work on my complexion, unlike Naked 1 that just had that first shadow in the row (Virgin) I could use as a highlight but it looked wrong on my complexion. I feel like a giddy little school girl every time I open this thing up.

P.S - I actually sold my Naked 1 to my friend who is NC20, which is a perfect fit for her. Naked 2 is perfect for me. She is a makeup artist and we were just starring at the palettes noticing how strongly Naked 1 skewed her direction and how strongly Naked 2 skewed mine.

ORIGINAL POST: I have not delved into all the colors fully, but at first glance/play this is much better suited for my NW20 complexion (Black/brown hair, brown eyes) than the first. Many of the colors on the first seemed to muddy up on me (all the ones from the middle to the right). I really could only use about 3 of the colors successfully in the first. These colors (in Naked 2) seem to fit my style / look better. This palette feels less like the shades muddy together to turn a brown color like the first palette would tend to do on me. Yes, still Urban Decay shadows and all that comes with it (good and bad), but bottom line, if you felt like the first Naked was "off" for you, this may be what you wanted.

As for the packaging, way better! No messy velvet to get all dusty and gross. Naked 2 is a hard palette that snaps shut! This bad boy is ready to travel. The two-headed brush is not the best, but will do the job. I know many have scoffed at this one, but for me, this is a much better fit than the first.

on 3/5/2012 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Wow. I have mixed emotions about this palette. I had been hemming and hawing over the original Naked palette and the couple of times I was actually going to purchase it, Sephora was out of it as well as Ulta. I kind of gave it a shrug because so many of the reviews for the first Naked were that it was geared toward warmer complexions and I'm cooler. Then came Naked 2. I was kind of on the fence about it but really liked the colors of the shadows. Another customer at Ulta raved so much about this collection that I buckled under and purchased it.
I really like it. A lot. However, I'm not in love with it. While the palette is considered neutral--a quality I absolutely love because I'm really not about color on my eyes. I also like the fact that there is a decent selection of mattes, shimmers, and hues of neutrals. At my age, I'm not about the shimmer anymore, but I do like to highlight right under my brow every now and then (especially in the evening) with a slight shimmer. In addition, I like the texture and the quality of the black shadow. It lines very nicely and stays put. The case is also a plus--sturdy for travel. The double-ended brush that comes with the palette is also surprisingly decent. The lipgloss that came with it--well, I threw it out. I didn't get it--if this palette is a "cooler" palette then why place a warmer-toned gloss--way to "orangey" for this pale gal.
What stopped me from giving this a 5-lipstick, HG sort of status? The palette lacked a "to-die-for" shadow. I'll tell you, my Too-Faced Naked palette has the beautiful "Like a Virgin" shadow. That one shadow has become my all-time favorite. I have two palettes with that one shadow contained and I have hit that teeny-weeny pan with both shadows. I only wish the Too-faced guys would produce a single "Like a Virgin" shadow--my eye life would be complete. Anyway, back to UD Naked 2--there is no showstopper shadow that has been incorporated into this palette. Is it worth the $50.00? Considering what you get--yeah--it is. (with the exception of that dopey lip gloss, it is) Am I sorry I purchased it? Absolutely not. Because of the neutrality (is that a word???) of the palette, I'll get good use of it and because it is packaged so it will travel well, I will get good use of it. Would I purchase this item again? In all honesty--no. If there was one shadow that I would use constantly, I would have to vote yes--but it lacks that one item.
Overall, I do recommend this palette, but in a 4-lipstick way--not a HG way. Thank you for reading this review. Hope I helped just a little bit.

I'm one of those super cool-skinned palies that a lot of browns turn orange on. As such I had just given up and stuck to a diet of light purples and silvers with black for my eye m/u. Predictably, this got boring. I would feel like mixing it up a little every once in a while but would give up long before finding three coordinating shades of brown. I got the first Naked after the hype wore me down but I could only wear about two of the darker colors in it, and didn't love them enough to justify the price so I sold my palette.

Enter Naked2. I ordered mine as soon as I got the email and received it Monday. By then I'd seen some bad reviews, mostly in comparison to its predecessor. I didn't even open the box until many hours later, but when I did I was very cautiously excited. The whole right side of the palette is made up of wonderfully pigmented rich COOL BROWNS that have enough shimmer to be pretty and workable but no glitter. First time ever that I've been able to do a subtly smokey brown eye look on myself. A+ on the packaging as well.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

so i got caught up in all the hype and purchased this badboy i have recieved it and now own both palettes. the packaging is more managable as it is like tin, reminds me of an old tin pencil case i used to own.. therefore its much more convinient to travel with me.
i look at this palette as the shy older sister of the first palette as there is more matte and light colors which great for truely everyday use and better for older people as the fist has more shimmer colors which on an older person can make them looked more aged. urban decay completed the void with the extra matte colors as because that was what the first one was missing..
now i have divided my palettes, the first one for my going out on the town look and the second for day to day look
if you have neither palettes and are debating between the 2 it depends who you are to find out which is best suited for you. if youre young and have a flashy style or always go out to clubs or fancy places the first one is for you .
if youre older and need a true day to day fresh faced look the 2nd is for you

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have and love the original Naked palette. When that came out, there were a lot of reviews crying "hype, hype, hype", which, to be honest, seems awfully insulting to people who researched and purchased it and then used and loved it because it is an EXCELLENT palette. If there was a lot of "hype" or talk about it, it's because it was deserved - a great assortment of neutral shadows at a great price and in excellent, streamlined packaging. If there hadn't been the quality to back up the "hype", the reviews here would have shown it over time. We women are not stupid! The same applies to the new Naked2 palette - if there is a lot of "hype" (meaning reviews, praise, interest), it's for a reason.

Several people told me I didn't really "need" Naked2 since I have a LOT of neutral shadows and since I had Naked1 and "they're really not very different". Well, I just got Naked2 the other day (it was released later here in Canada) and I can tell you that, as good as 1 is, 2 is even better, especially for cool-toned women like me. Some of the photos at the top of this page are a bit misleading (I'm sure because of the vagaries of lighting) but the colours in 1 and 2 are not as alike as some of the photos would indicate. I got this palette because I absolutely LOVE Suspect (which isn't available on its own) and loved the look of Snakebite and Pistol and these 3 shadows DO NOT DISAPPOINT. I am surprised by how much I like Booty Call and Busted and so many of the other shadows. While black eyeshadow isn't really "my thing" (and I've got Mac's Typographic, which is about as dark as I like to go), I am sure I can use Blackout to darken an outer V or smudged on top of black pencil liner. All the shades in this palette are just wonderfully wearable and all work together really well to create a wide range of eye looks. I've never had a UD lipgloss before but I really like the one that comes with this palette and the double ended brush is much better than brushes that usually come with eyeshadows, even high end shadows. So all in all, this is a great value and a great product and will be perfect for me for travelling. Even for a long trip, you really don't need anything else by way of shadows unless you really go for brights. Just toss in a liner or 2, some mascara and you've everything you need to do your eyes for a month without getting bored! This palette is worthy of its high rating and deserves whatever "hype" it has been getting.

on 5/13/2012 10:34:00 PM

I'm keeping my review short and color-centric. Here are the colors in this beautiful palette.

FOXY: This is a matte off-white/beige shade. Good for highlighting the browbone and inner corner. It's pigmented, but pale girls might not notice (I've actually used it as a powder once!)

HALF BAKED: Neutral light tawny champagne shade. Shimmery, very pigmented. I'm aware that this is in the original Naked palette.

BOOTYCALL: Light pinky beige shimmery color. Great for highlighting.

CHOPPER: Tawny shimmer color that leans warm. Be warned, this does have glitter.

TEASE: Matte neutral taupe color. Great for everyday looks.

SNAKEBITE: Shimmery cool medium brown.

SUSPECT: Greyish gold shimmer color, lighter than Snakebite.

PISTOL: Neutral gunmetal grey shimmer.

VERVE: Weird taupey-greige color with shimmer. It's about as light as Suspect, maybe a bit lighter.

YDK: Warmer shimmer/glitter copper with a hint of grey. This is a great color to use allover.

BUSTED: Dark brown shimmer. Great for lining and crease-cutting.

BLACKOUT: Pure matte black.

I love this palette. I would NOT buy this palette if:

-You don't like neutrals.
-You don't like shimmer; there's lots here.
-You're not willing to spend $50 on an eye palette (it's actually cheaper than individual UD pans though.)
-You already own the original Naked and you're not an effing makeup fanatic like I am. In that case, what are you doing here? :)

Phenomenal color selection, great payoff, and nice little brush and lipgloss included to boot. I highly recommend it to any neutral junkies out there.

on 12/31/2011 8:40:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

First off I have not tried every color in this palette yet so my opinion is subject to change. The quality of e/s is excellent with wonderful color payoff for each color. I prefer this metal tin over the velvet case of n1. I would like to say that from swatching this and the naked 1 palette side by side i have found six almost identical shades that make me question if i want to keep both palettes. In my opinion here are the close matches/dupes:
Half Baked in 1= Half Baked in 2
Smog in 1=Snakebite in 2
Hustle in 1=Busted in 2
Virgin in 1=Booty Call in 2
Toasted in 1=YDK in 2
Suspect in 1=Sidecar in 2
Those are just my observations, folks, Im not saying they are identical just that to me they are close enough that I dont feel that I need both.
I am not too fond of the brush or lipgloss, and would really have prefered an eden or other primer potion and a 24/7 waterproof liquid liner instead.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's funny...I read the reviews on here and cool-toned girls hate it because it's "too warm," while at the same time warm-toned girls hate it because it's "too cool." Ladies, you have to know what works for your coloring. Naked 1 is good if you like predominantly warm tones, Naked 2 is good if you're more a fan of cool tones. #1 has a few cool tones, just as #2 has a few warm tones, but overall 1 is warmer and 2 is cooler. And just because you're warm doesn't mean you can't wear cool shadows, and vice versa. Know yourself so that you don't waste time and money on products that won't work for you. Keep that in mind.

Now that being said...I am a huge fan of both (I have a separate review for Naked 1), but Naked 2 has some of my favorite colors of all time. I have light/medium olive skin that I won't categorize as either warm or cool because it can truly be either. I love the cool-toned shades in this palette and I think they're amazing "Winter" type of colors. Busted, Verve, Pistol and Suspect are all gorgeous and my personal favorites. Snakebite and Blackout are beautiful, as well, especially to smoke out the lashline. Foxy and Bootycall are your typical highlight shades, but still very nice. YDK, Chopper and Half Baked are great in terms of texture and pigment, but I do not like them on my skintone and thus rarely wear them. Tease is a unique color in swatches, but I find that it doesn't transfer well on my eyes. It's the only shade in the palette that I was truly disappointed with.

The majority of what I said in my original Naked review still applies here--including the gripe about price. Overall you're getting the same quality from both palettes, it's just a personal preference in regards to color. The eyeshadows are all very smooth and easy to work with, but keep in mind that they will always look and wear better if you apply a base (any kind..even concealer will do) underneath.

I will say, though, that Naked 2 is much more travel-friendly with the solid metal case and snap-close lid. Definitely better packaging than Naked 1. In terms of product quality, though, I think they're equal. It's just a matter of which color palette, warm or cool, works best for you.

on 3/14/2012 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Add this to my list of overrated products, alongside Nars Orgasm. What is it with people and shimmer?

I didn't expect to like ALL the shadows, but I was hoping I would find more than just two of them useful. I have hooded eyes, so my main objective in shadows are finding the right shades for the crease. I only use matte shades in my crease, and Tease is nothing more than a blending shade for me. Too light to be the actual crease color. Foxy & Bootycall are highlighters, Blackout is obviously the multi-use black, and the rest are simply lid colors for me. I don't need that many lid colors.

The problem with palettes is that I always feel like I need to use all of them just to make it worth it. So every other day, I use a different color on my lid. That's nice, now what about my crease area? As nice as it was to have all those different lid shades, I don't want to pay $50 for all of them.

As for lasting power, I didn't notice that these lasted any long than a cheap shadow on my lid (less than 6 hours). I did not use primer, but my philosophy is, if I'm going to pay that much for shadow I shouldn't need it.

This palette is ideal for you if you're into shimmer and you look experimenting with different shades of shiny neutrals. Not ideal if you like matte or if you only like one or two of these shades.