2.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

7 years ago

What I like about this product is that I don't have to apply primer and the eyeliner stays put. I have monolids so even gel liners smudge on my eyes. It makes my life a whole lot easier if it doesn't smudge. On me the color doesn't flake nor does it smear. Secondly I do love the color with my brown eyes. However this color gives a natural look...a black gel liner gives my eyes more of an illusion of thicker lashes and bolder bigger eyes whereas this eggplant color does change my eye shape a bit but it's more natural. However, the color doesn't apply as smoothly as other colors (like the blackest black) in the same line. It's like spreading butter on bread that hasn't become quite as soft yet so you're working for the butter to spread evenly on your bread (lol best analogy I can think of). I enjoy it enough to use it all, but after I'm done I'll probably be in search for another purple gel liner at the drugstore.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Other

EyesBlack

7 years ago

Not as good as the black, which was disappointing as it could have been such a lovely colour on the skin... Too sheer when applied and not as smooth or buttery as the black. It's ok but wouldn't repurchase.

About reviewer (283 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesBrown

7 years ago

A lot of the other commenters are saying that the product is too sheer and flaky; I have to say that I don't agree. I wear this eyeliner literally every day and it does not flake off at all. In my opinion, the brush they give you really isn't a great choice and I opt to use a concealer brush on its side due to the need for the dense, concealer brush style, bristles and a finer line than what the original brush provides. I saw that a lot of the commenters have blue eyes; this probably explains the dissatisfaction with the color, the deep purple is a complementary color for green/hazel eyes and may look decent on some brown eyed women but would probably not look particularly flattering on blued eyed users. I enjoy the versatility of the product as I can easily choose to blend the eyeliner upwards and into the shadow if I want or apply it strictly as a liner. I find that it dries rather quickly and is not prone to smudging. Definitely a flattering color on me.

About reviewer (15 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

EyesGreen

2.0

8 years ago

Disappointed. Too sheer, too dry, application is not smooth. No luck no matter what applicator I used. I have tried several drugs store and high end gel/cream liners and love Joe Fresh (Superstore brand) gel liner the most. The color Raisin (dark purple) is definitely way way better than this Maybelline's one. Strong pigmentation, creamy, and it's inexpensive. I got mine at $6 per pot but regular price is $8. Except Raisin I also got Caviar (dark olive) and a slate color (forgot the name). They are all great. I will stick to these from now on. Why would I spend more when I can get high quality products at low prices.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesOther

2.0

8 years ago

Ugh. This product. I'm so in love with the black version of this gel liner, so I was expecting the same greatness from Eggplant. Nope. It's very sheer, not buildable, dry, and flaky. I've used this as a dark base and it worked okay, but I already have a bright purple cream shadow and a black one. So why would I need a muddy lovechild of those two? Times like these make me glad I discovered swapping.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

8 years ago

The color in the jar is beautiful, but the application is so sheer, it's almost not even worth it. I've been using it as a base for more dramatic purple shadows, otherwise it would never be touched.

About reviewer (41 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

8 years ago

This product goes on easy,It last a full day and is a beautiful color.

About reviewer (130 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesHazel

1.0

8 years ago

This is the worst gel liner from their collection. It takes 4-5 applications to achieve the color. Gave up on it even though the color from the jar was perfect. Tossed out! On to finding my next eggplant color gel liner.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

EyesBrown

8 years ago

Hmm, I am not sure quite how I feel about this one. I love the colour, and it does last long but it is a bit of a pain to get on. I have two other of the Maybelline gel liners (Sapphire and Forest), and this is definitely the most difficult to work with.It is still worth it though. Not sure if I'd buy it again.

About reviewer (175 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

8 years ago

I have green/hazel eyes, and personally love the Eggplant color. It's lighter than I would have expected, but the shade I find makes it more versatile (with black, there's a narrow application margin before eyeliner looks too "evening"). I've seen complaints about the price, but for a drugstore gel liner with brush (even though I use my own angled brush) it's reasonable - plus a little goes a long way so it's actually economical. Eventually I'll shell out the $$$ for MAC, but I've been overall pleased with Maybelline's version. For those experiencing it drying out: mix with a few eye drops and then pat it down, good as new.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age25-29