LUSH Buche de Noel

LUSH Buche de Noel

4.3

Ground Almonds, Kaolin, Glycerine, Fresh Satsumas , Dried Cranberries, Cocoa Butter, Brandy, Almond Essential Oil, Vetivert Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Linalool, Cinnamal, Perfume, Nori Seaweed, Candy Pine Tree

on 2/15/2017 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I bought this in December as I had run out of my old cleanser and wanted to try a Lush product again (I tried Angels on Bare Skin a few years ago and found it okay, but not something I would buy again). This cost me about 11 euros and comes in a lovely little black pot that is recyclable and can be exchanged at the store (along with other empty pots) for a free mask. Buche de Noel means "Yule Log cake" in French and the display at the store had the cleanser shaped as a log (which might be more portable), but the pots are the only option to buy. As per the Lush tradition, the cleanser is made out of ingredients you can name, such as cranberries and almond meal, and weirdly enough has gold flakes in it (I'm not sure what that's for, does gold have any magical healing properties?). It smells more like Play-Doh than a Yule log cake.

Now, on to application. At first, I tried putting a pinch of it in my hand and then mixing it with drops of water, but that made the paste too liquidy and it was hard to get on my face. Instead, what I did was pour some water and unclench my hand in a way that the excess water would drain from your fingers. This made for a paste that was much easier to handle and wouldn't immediately go down the sink drain. I massaged it in circles for about 30 seconds on my already damp face and then rinsed the paste off. It was gently exfoliating.

When I touch my face after using the cleanser, it feels softer with a more improved tone. The product doesn't interfere with the natural oils you produce in your skin so that it is not handled roughly. However, when I tone with tea tree oil afterwards, there is always some residue left over from the cleanser, as well as any dirt it hasn't picked up on.

I would conclude that this cleanser is good for someone who wants to treat their skin gently rather than strip it of its natural oils, but also not perfect because of the aforementioned residue it leaves. I give this 4 stars out of 5.

on 11/4/2016 2:35:00 PM

This cleanser is great! The only reason I gave it a 4/5 is because it's hard to use. I can only use it in the shower because I have to put some in the middle of my hand, and scrub it with water to turn it into a texture I can use. It gets really messy and usually falls out of my hands during this process.

HOWEVER, it is extremely exfoliating and moisturizing, and your skin feels so soft afterwards! I love that it is all natural, and I can use it every day without drying out. I'm not breaking out, and I think it's helping with my blackheads.

on 1/4/2016 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my go to face wash! I buy enough at Christmas time to last me year round because it's fabulous! I find it very moisturizing and lovely! You get a great amount of exfoliation but so much moisture I use this as a cuticle scrub as well when my hands get rough and dry!

on 11/29/2015 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love love love Angels On Bare Skin and I've heard that Buche De Noel is comparable to Angels, so I was very keen to give this a try! Many reviews online on this cleanser is a bit mixed as well, with some stating that it's super moisturising and others saying it's drying.. that kind of scared me a bit to buy it, so I got a sample of it from the nearby Lush instead of buying.

I've used it only thrice so far, but often I find with Lush's stuff is that my first impressions on the product don't really change in the long run. If they're amazing, I just fall in love with them more. If they're meh, it will be meh from the first usage and onwards. And it saddens me to say that I haven't fallen for Buche De Noel (yet?) as I have with Angels.

I think Buche De Noel does everything Angels does. It brightens, it soothes angry skin, it alleviates redness to some level, it moisturises. But not to the same level Angels does it, in my opinion. Especially the moisturising part. While I've found that Angels was able to help get rid of the dry patches on my cheeks after just using it for a few days to a week. I've yet to find similar results from Buche De Noel. What I do like about it is that it doesn't leave soo much of a film on your face afterwards like Angels did. I also like the smell better - Buche De Noel smells like some sort of organic fruit cake. Angels has this lavender herbal smell that's a bit too potent for me.

I really hope that once I finish my Buche De Noel sample, I can re-edit this review. I wanted so badly to fall in love with this cleanser as I have with Angels because of all the positive things people have said about it. Perhaps Buche De Noel is better for those with combination skin leaning towards oily (attributed to the higher kaolin content) and Angels is better for those with combination skin leaning towards dry.

on 11/27/2015 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I picked this up on a whim last month and l'm so pleased l did. Gorgeous smell and very scrubby, but not in an extremely harsh way. I use it as my second cleanse in a double cleansing routine at night. It doesn't irritate my acne or cause it. My skin feels smoother after using it daily, and is drier. The small tub only lasted me 6 weeks. I used to think Lush cleansers were rubbish, but now l've realised they're not makeup removers (except Ultrabland and 9 to 5) l will give them another go as second/morning cleansers.

on 1/16/2014 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my favorite cleanser that LUSH makes!

I usually don't like scrubs for everyday cleansing. The irritate my skin very easily. However, these granules are so small and smooth that I've been using this everyday for two months and I'm had no problems with irritation.

This smells heavenly. To me, it smells like orange, cranberry and brandy. Yummy!

You only need a small, pea sized amount for your face. When I feel like doing a more intense scrub, I'll use a little more. I use this only in the morning and use a separate cleanser to take off my makeup at night. And for using this for two months, very little is gone. This is going to last a long time!

I really wish that this wasn't limited to the holiday time! I liked this a lot more than Angels on Bare Skin, but I'll use that one again when this one runs out.

You should really check this out when it comes out again. I really hope LUSH brings it back! I'd be very upset if they didn't.

on 1/4/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

First of all, i live the smell and other than that it is a good exfoliater. I always thought I need harsh exfoliation but that just makes my skin break out. I got this in the Christmas 50% sale for 5€ but it is really overpriced!

on 1/4/2014 11:10:00 AM

I have oily tzone, dry cheeks and whiteheads all over my face. After using this cleanser, my skin is smoother and it feels so soft. There's not much whiteheads left and the ground almonds is really gentle for everyday use. The only setback about the cleanser is the smell but other than that, it's THE one for me ! I wish they have it all year round though

on 1/2/2014 4:01:00 PM

Maybe I got a bad batch? The scent of mine was terrible!! The Nori (seaweed) was completely overwhelming and actually made me gag. Mind you, I am not sensitive to smells, and like Nori as food quite a lot. The combination of semi-sweet with seaweed was just bad. Smell before you buy…what a shame, I like Lush products.

on 12/9/2013 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my HG cleanser. Love the scent, love how my skin feels - before I got this I was using angels on bare skin and this is similar in texture but more moisturizing. Only way it could be better is skipping the cranberries, they're annoying to rub in and don't really add anything to the product.
Price - fairly expensive to buy but I find the smaller pots of lush cleanser lasts 2-3months so probably cheap in the long run.
Packaging is fairly bland but if you save up your empty pots and return 5 you get a free lush face mask which is awesome.

I plan on buying 2 big tubs and freezing them to use for the rest of the year!