Quo Quo by Orly Nail Polish - Chestnuts Roasting

No Image

on 6/18/2012 10:32:00 AM

I chose this when I needed a neutral shade to wear with a royal blue bridesmaids dress. I've never been a fan of anything very taupe/brown on my own nails. But this shade is just gorgeous. It does dry a bit darker than in the bottle, however its beautiful. I get compliments on it literally every single time I wear it.

The brush itself is very comfortable to use and to hold. Not too small and you can grip it nicely as it isnt slippery and doesnt roll around in your fingers.

The first coat goes on beautifully - no streaks. It really covers very nicely without needing more than 2 coats (3 if you're going for utter perfection!) and it dries nicely and quickly. Definitely not a sticky/goopy drying process with this nailpolish. I can't use anything that takes much time to dry so this is great.

Price range seems about average compared to other decent brands at shoppers etc. I find if you go too cheap the nailpolish tends to suck anyway.

I definitely recommend this nail polish! Can't wait to try some more of their colours.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

What it Claims:
"A fast drying, long lasting, high gloss nail polish."

Claims: True or False?
1) Fast drying: True
2) Long lasting: True.
3) High gloss: True

Packaging:
The polish has a long black rubberized handle, which feels very comfortable in one's hands and makes opening a breeze. A large Q is stamped on the top of the lid. The bottle itself is a clear glass that is slightly rounded on all four sides, and the brush is on the slimmer side; wider than Essie but definitely slimmer than OPI. I've never used Orly polishes, so I cannot compare the brushes. One nit-picky thing to note with the brushes (does not affect my application/use) is that not all of the brushes are cut evenly. Check the bottles beforehand if this will bother you.

Consistency:
This is the 3rd Quo by Orly polish I've tried, 2nd cream formula, and it's definitely a winner. Runnier than the other cream, it still offers wonderful coverage. No streaking (even on the first coat), no flooding, just a smooth and super glossy finish. On its own, it dries quickly, and with my top coat I had my nails on both hands done and hard within 10 minutes altogether! The colour is not one I'd normally go for. It's a light to medium warm brown with red undertones, almost like a light milk chocolate. It does look much prettier on the nails than in the bottle, but I think that if the formula had been thicker or gloopier, it would have ruined the appeal entirely. It dries down maybe half a shade to a full shade darker than the bottle, and also pulls warmer on my skin than in the bottle. It may be worth trying on cool skin tones, as the colour in the bottle does look like it'd suit multiple skin tones.

Wear time:
Seems to have a good lasting time, at least 4-5 days before tip wear gets a bit noticeable. But it could still be worn for a good week without wear being obvious. No chips that I could tell, overall wears really well!

Bang for your Buck:
14ml or 0.48 oz for $10.00CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart; purchased on sale for $7.00CAD. This is definitely a pricier offering, although most who shop at Shoppers will know that Shopper's brands are often on the pricier side compared to other drug stores. Seems to be similar in price and product amount as brands such as OPI, so it's definitely not a big splurge.

Final Consensus:
I'm glad I picked this one up instead of putting it back, as I really quite love it. I normally choose taupes, greys, or super light pastels as neutrals, but this is definitely a nice warm addition to my growing collection, and I feel as though it's a shade that can work well year-round. The colour isn't too intense and it goes on thin enough to be worth looking into if browns aren't quite your thing but you'd like to experiment a bit.
- Pros: great packaging/handle, very fast-drying, nice brush, pretty colour, only takes 2 coats for opaque coverage, goes on completely smooth.
- Cons: Pricey for a drug-store brand, only available through Shoppers Drug Mart, brush may not be cut even depending on the bottle.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 5/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

Popular Polishes