Burberry sheer luminous compact foundation (powder)

Burberry sheer luminous compact foundation (powder)
sheer luminous compact foundation (powder)

4.6

on 6/21/2016 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

After picking up a Trench 203 on eBay hoping to cut costs... I've decided I'm not a fan of compact foundation in general, so your mileage may vary. For me, with oily light olive skin, when I brushed a little on over Burberry Glow 01, it was just fine. When I tried it after wetting a brush or a sponge with the Glow... it looks cake-y to me. I haven't tried it yet as a setting powder, but suspect it'll be relegated to this role from now on. Then again, at age 50 I like a dewy look. If you're young and oily it could be just the trick.

on 12/26/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a beautiful foundation; from the way it looks on my skin to the way it photographs, I cannot fault it (and I am very picky). I have been testing and narrowing down to my top 6 liquid and top 6 high end powder foundations and this is easily in my top 2!

I'd call the finish satin matte (it certainly isn't flat). I have slightly combination skin and I find it wears consistently all day long and I have not had to touch up at all (I don't wear a primer).

I use a Real Technique buffing brush to get the best result. At first I had a hell of a time trying to apply this (tried different brushes, the sponge that it came with and even a beauty blender) but everything looked terrible! I nearly took this back until I tried the RT brush. Thank God I pursued!

To Read all 9 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/11/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

The thought of putting powder foundation on my normal to dry skin would normally make me cringe. But wow... this is seriously one of the most gorgeous foundations I've ever worn, period. That includes liquid foundations. I don't know what made me want to try this other than that most Burberry products work so well for me and I love the formula and texture of all their powder products. So I bought this on a whim while repurchasing the Fresh Glow Fluid Base (which is also amazing--love it!) and was kind of blown away but how great this is.

Here's a rundown on my skin: very pale (N10), mostly normal with occasional dry areas due to allergies/weather, extremely sensitive, and intolerant of heavy products. I don't like a lot of coverage for my skin, preferring minimal and sheer base makeup. Surprisingly, I was matched to this in Trench 04, which is strange since usually I'm always the lightest shade in any foundation brand. If you're pale and struggle to find a good match, this is a good line to check out.

Turns out Trench 04 is a perfect match. Here's a few of my current foundations (as well as a couple of my previous powder foundations that I used a couple years ago when my skin was more combination):
Current:
YSL Touch Eclat B10
Cle de Peau Radiant Fluid Foundation in I10 (Ivory)
Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet 10 Beige
Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in No.2
Previous:
MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation in 200
Chanel Double Perfection Lumiere in 10 Beige
Dolce & Gabbana Perfect Matte Powder Foundation in 70 Natural

This feels as buttery, dense, creamy, and pigmented as I'd hoped, and buffs into skin so beautifully. I use a MUFE synthetic kabuki brush to apply, and it goes on so smoothly and evenly without kicking up a ton of powder or sitting on top of my skin in the weird way powders sometimes do. I'm not a fan of facial powders at all really, since my skin feels like all moisture just gets sucked out of it immediately, but I never experience that with this. My skin doesn't feel or look dry or tight, and it doesn't sit on top of dry areas. It has a satin finish that looks very natural and doesn't mask my own skin. I love that it isn't the typical matte finish. I wear it dry, which gives a sheer coverage, but it's so easy to build up where needed.

The compact is lovely too. It's sturdy with a magnetic closure and a separate space below for the sponge, which is aerated to keep the sponge more sanitary. I never use the included sponges but it's nice to have it just in case.

I'll wrap up my Sonnet to this foundation but just had to rave about how awesome this is. On days when my skin is a little reactive from allergies and I don't want to wear much more than my usual sunscreen, this is a lifesaver. Just a quick swipe here and there and my skin looks polished, still feels moisturized, and has a little natural glow.

on 9/16/2014 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love this powder,after Chanel changed Double Perdections color line it was time to venture elsewhere I stumbled upon this foundation,and I love it,long wear beautiful finish,and exact shade match,I wear Trench in the shade 10,I find myself reaching for this more than the sheer fluid,I don't use this to sry foundation,I only use as foundation it last all say into the night.Love it

on 5/9/2014 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Disclaimer: I THINK I broke out from this powder, but I won't lower the rating just for that. I'm not sure which ingredient in this caused me to break out, but I'll retest this powder when my skin calms down.

I got this as a gift from a friend so I can't comment on the price (I think it is quite pricey though). First, the packaging feels as high-end as it is - it's heavy, durable, and has a mirror-like finish on the outside with classic Burberry plaid. It is a bit bulkier than I expected for a powder foundation though, so I'm taking away a lippie because I don't find it the most travel-friendly product in my stash.

The powder itself comes in a square pan and is very finely-milled, so this product works great as a settling powder as well. On its own, the coverage is light-medium and probably not any more than that. It will even out discoloration but you may still need concealer underneath for acne scars and other sorts of redness. I really love the finish though - it looks incredibly smooth and natural, like I have doll skin.

Since this was a powder, I expected to see the usual issues with emphasizing flakes and settling into fine lines, but I barely noticed any of that. I'm not sure if I would recommend this product for dry skin, but it certainly looks good on oily skin! I do have to blot at my usual time so I don't think this powder has any oil control, but I usually don't expect powder foundations to have any anyawys.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my holy grail powder. I wear Trench 1 and am an NC15 in MAC. I use this to set my liquid foundation and it just finishes it beautifully without looking cakey or heavy. The only thing I hate is that it seems Burberry is reformulating or changing packaging and this product is no where to be found and I'm hitting pan on my 4th powder of these that I've boughten. Please Burberry hurry up and release these again!!

on 11/21/2013 9:34:00 AM

I love this product! The packaging is beautiful and classic. The product is super light and covers well. Note: I do use this as a setting powder of sorts over my foundation. It lasts fairly long and is pretty good for those with normal to combination oily skin. I hardly feel it and it is not heavy at all. There are two things that I don't like about this product - is that there is quite a bit of "fallout" whenever you dust your brush over the pan and for the price that you pay for the product (approx. $55 cdn), I expected a better brush applicator in the pan (like Hourglass). This product did not oxidize on my skin, now did it break it out, even though there is a light fragrance that disappears shortly after.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have dry skin so it's difficult to find powder foundations that wont end up looking like a powder foundation on my skin. This one is an exception. It comes in very fair shades and also provides a good amount of coverage. I use this as a setting powder and to add more coverage to my foundation. It helps my makeup last all day and I use the smallest amount ever so I'm sure it's going to last forever. I also use this on my eyes to highlight under the brow and inner corners. Packaging is awesome like all burberry products.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This compact is a mini architectural marvel in itself: colored in black nickle, it shows Burberry's signature plaid on the top exterior. Like all Burberry makeup, the case has a secure magnetic closure, and opens up to three vertical layers: a mirror, the powder foundation, and a sponge. For people who dislike the side-by-side placement of powder and sponge and are looking to conserve space, this is pretty neat. Burberry says this foundation can be applied wet (in fact, the bottom of the case is cut through to allow the sponge to dry), but I am too satisfied with the effect of using a dry brush to attempt anything else. I think that on dry skin, powder foundation still looks more obvious than liquid foundation, but this works wonderfully with a light hand. I like to use this on top of tinted moisturizer or as a touch-up. The coverage is buildable, the finish is natural, and the oil control is excellent. The high quality of the powder really shows itself when applied on the nose--looks even less noticeable than translucent powder. $55 will get you 8g of product. My color is Trench 04 and it is a tad darker than what I am used to (I'm Asian and use "porcelain" in Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer), but close enough. (01 is extremely light, 02 is pink-toned, 03 is yellow-toned but somehow looks darker than 04, 05 is also yellow-toned.)