Maybelline Volum' Express Colossal Cat Eyes

Maybelline Volum' Express Colossal Cat Eyes

3.1

This mascara is weird. There seems to be very little product on the brush. With other mascaras I usually wipe some of the product off when it comes out with too much but this already comes out cleaned up....but maybe too much. I have to apply a million times to build up to where it is noticeable. I am fine with the curved brush but I feel like it requires more work. All in all this product isn't bad but I wouldn't repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

packaging is cute otherwise it sucks. dry and flakes, I had a ring of black flakes under my eyes. Big NO

To Read all 224 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

My opinion: This is my favourite mascara - I wear it every day! As someone with quite short eyelashes, I love how this mascara makes my eyelashes seem longer, curlier, and fuller.

Application/Brush:
- When applying, 2 or more coats is necessary (WITHOUT drying time in between coats) for the best effect.
- Like with any mascara, too many coats will result in a clumpy look.
- It is interesting to note that the curved brush must be used correctly for best results. My mum doesn't like this mascara because without taking advantage of the brush shape, it doesn't perform to its full potential.

Price: In Australia, this mascara is about $20, which is well above the amount of money I am willing to spend on mascara. Thus, I have to wait until it goes on sale (usually 1/2 price) to stock up.

Overall: This is the only mascara I use and buy, and I would definitely recommend to/buy for a friend.

on 3/5/2016 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is one of the worst mascaras I've ever tried. The formula is dry and it does nothing to the lashes unless you build them up with 3 or 4 coats. Then you get darkness but zero length or volume so I don't get the appeal. It has a hyacinth scent. The wand is thin and ultra curved, which is supposed to create the cat eye effect, but it does not. I am very puzzled by this product. Maybe it works if you have naturally long lashes, but it does not work on short skimpy lashes. I bought this strictly because it was marked down so I only lost $5, but it's still disappointing when you're expecting some kind of results and you get nothing.

Update: after 2 months there is nothing in the tube. I only used it a few times and consider it a total failure. For me this is the worst mascara that Maybelline ever put out. The wand is thin and no product at all sticks to it. The tube is practically empty. Maybelline has a lot of excellent mascaras so I am still surprised at how bad this is. It does absolutely nothing for the lashes. In its favour, it didn't do any harm.

on 2/8/2016 9:55:00 PM

This is a review for the non-waterproof version.

What I look for in mascaras (in order of preference):
1. Curling
2. Doesn't flake/smudge
3. Volumizing
4. Lengthening

I was expecting more wow and oomph from this product based on its name (colossal, cat eyes) but it failed my expectations. First off, I found that not a lot of product went on the brush. I had to pump (I know, a big no-no) or wiggle the brush just to get more product on it. When applied on my eyelashes, it didn't add any volume or length. It also didn't hold a curl. It looked like I only had a little bit of mascara even if I already put on several coats. Normally I would consider this a win because i don't like heavy looking makeup but like I said with a mascara name like this I was expecting more than your everyday mascara look.

The one thing I liked about this mascara was it didn't flake or smear. Maybe it helped that I had on UD eyeshadow primer so my eyelids weren't oily. I also wore the mascara on my upper eyelash only.

If you are looking for a minimal everyday look then this mascara is for you. Otherwise, skip it.

on 11/3/2015 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I think this mascara is good and bad at the same time. It evenly separates my sparse and short lashes but it doesn't give me volume. It lengthens and lifts. I love the packaging, but it didn't give me that cat eye affect. It made my lashes really stiff which I don't like. It works best with other mascaras that have volume to layer on top of it. My favorite combination is the Maybelline Rocket mascara layered on top. Maybe a person with fuller lashes might like it more than I did? Overall I would not repurchase.

on 10/6/2015 8:24:00 AM

my absolute favorite mascara, I've tried high end and this is still my holy grail ! I always buy two at a time

ive bought several of these mascaras. the curved wand really helps to separate and coat every lash. A+

on 8/27/2015 6:51:00 PM

I've really enjoyed this mascara.
The curve on the wand is helpful capturing all my lashes. The bristles have a good depth and i feel like they get right down to the root of the lashes. Also the brush is thin enough to reach right in to the inner corner lashes.
I've found the formula is great for lengthening and adding a moderate amount of volume. Overall I've been really happy with it, however I am a mascara hussie and can't stay faithful - always looking for something slightly better.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I actually use two mascara's in the morning and I apply this one second, it helps to bring more depth into my lashes and covers more lashes at a time.