Living Proof Restore

No Image

3.2

Water/Eau/Aqua, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Glycol Distearate, Lactamide MEA, Fragrance/Parfum, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Octafluoropentyl Methacrylate (PolyfluoroEster), Creatine, Laureth-23, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-47, Behenyl Alcohol, Laureth-16, Laureth-4, Polyquaternium-52, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glyceride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

on 2/3/2017 3:14:00 AM

I purchased these products (shampoo/conditioner/restore leave-in) about 4 weeks ago and the first three weeks of use were awesome! My dry, damaged hair felt so soft, smooth and looked shiny and healthy. Then, on the fourth week of use, it all changed. My hair started to look dry and dull. It became more difficult to comb my hair without excessive tangles. Since I had already ordered more of the products, I felt sick about the sudden change in the effects and how much money that I've spent on them. I don't understand what happened to the great results that I first experienced and felt completely confused by the whole situation. I went on-line and read that other people had also experienced similar results and wanted to put my story out so that other future interested parties would think twice before investing in this line. I thought that I was going crazy there for a few days, but there is something in these products that mask the appearance of dry hair while simultaneously causing the hair to essentially become more dry and dull overall. I really thought that I found the perfect shampoo and conditioner and was willing to pay the expense for the great results, but now, I am just disappointed and will just have to find an alternative product line to try.

Waste of money. I will be returning this. I used the shampoo, conditioner and treatment mask and I did not see this huge drastic difference that the product boasts. I still had to style my hair as usual and I still had a bit of friZz. My hair was soft but I don't think these products are worth the money. I can get the same result from a cheaper hair mask.

I usually use Dove Color Care shampoo, but I thought I would splurge on this for once. I didn't like it at all!

Like another reviewer said, this made my hair feel rough and straw-like after rinsing it out. Another con was that my hair was falling out a LOT when brushing it out after my shower, and this doesn't happen with my other shampoo.

The price is crazy high, too, so needless to say I won't be re-purchasing.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I'm a Living Proof believer. I never, ever thought I would see the day I finally found a regimen that not only helps my heavily damaged, dry, blonde hair, but works time after time to deliver soft, shiny, and smooth hair.

I picked up the shampoo and conditioner on a whim at Ulta without looking at reviews first and I'm so glad I did. Upon first use, yes the shampoo wasn't "as" moisturizing feeling, then again a shampoo's job is to cleanse, not moisturize. The conditioner felt like a dream, though. All I needed was a small amount of each. After rinsing I could tell immediately something was different about my hair. I used my AG The Oil with Kerastase's Ciment Thermique blow dry cream and blow dry and flat iron my hair.
WOW. WOW. My hair has never looked better. My ends look like they have been sealed, zero frizz, shine, softness, and bounce. Living Proof's website states that the Restore line is supposed to make your hair "act and look like virgin hair" and I can attest to this statement and say it's true! I can't stop touching my hair, I'm incredibly amazed. I even noticed less fall out in the shower and less breakage when I was brushing through it...after two uses. I hope this keeps up its promises for months to come!

Yes, it's an expensive brand. However for someone who has struggled with damaged hair for years, this is worth every single penny. I can see where users say that it can make their scalp a little oily, it has that effect on me but only slightly, nothing more than any other dry/damage line I've used (except Aveda's Dry Remedy...oil city). For you blondes, damaged, dry gals out there do yourself a favor, ditch the keratin and give LP's Restore a try. You'll be amazed!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this shampoo for about seven months now. For the first 6-8 weeks or so, I loved it. In terms of long-term results, this shampoo is really disappointing and not worht the money. Rather quickly, my hair completely stopped responding to this shampoo. Now, when I'm washing it tangles much more easily. When I'm drying it my hair feels drier, coarser, and frizzier. And I follow-up with the restore mask once a week (I absoultey need a heavy condiditoner after using this shampoo). Despite feeling dry from mid-shaft to ends, oddly, my roots starts to look oily soon after washing. I should note that I have very thick, healthy hair that was severely dehydrated recently from from coloring (years of henna/indigo), then two bleach baths, then demi-permanent color to return it to it's natural light brown. My stylist insists my hair is not damaged just dry--not normal for me. So I invested in Livign Proof and honestly, I think Aveda producst worked much better. I ended up on this site as my hair feels coated and I wondered if others had had this lackluster experience. The Living Proof shampoo initially made it feel soft and as if it was truly being healed. Now, it feels (and looks) duller and drier--yet at the same time, it appears shiny in the right light. It's like a mirage. I will return to Aveda prodcucts.

[Mini Fore-Rant: I'm not sure why the reviews don't seem to match the quality of this product line. I won't lie, it took me ages to try LP because the ratings just weren't eye-catching. I tend to purchase based off reviews, but now that's going to change! It's ridiculous how many paid reviews there are, while the products that actually DELIVER just become buried treasures under the rest of the information overload that is the Internet.]

Actual review:
If your hair needs restored, like mine did, then don't try anything else. Because I already have, and nothing else has given me anything noticeably "restorational."

My hair has stubborn texture. I have HUGE, poofy waves that need no beach spray, because they are "fresh off the sand" and most of the time refuse to be tamed. If the waves on my head ever do get tricked into being tamed, they are quick to realize, and exhibit their revenge by making sure everyone can see the product on top of them weighing them down. They practically wear a "Wash-Me" sign if I apply a leave-in product even if they KNOW, I just spent an hour prepping, washing, detangling, and drying. (Probably more than an hour...)

Another thing, is that my naturally medium brown (natural level 6/7) hair has had all of its pigment lifted out of it. That's probably a nice way of saying it. Truth be told, my hair has been bleached to smitherines! It isn't blonde, it's platinum-white. It is professionally lightened and Olaplex has prevented it from breaking, but as one can imagine, it is -all but- fried. The ends are dry and damaged (hanging in there) but unmanageable and I don't even try to manage them in attempt to avoid even more damage.

Can I just say that I order hair products on a weekly basis? I don't have a budget when it comes to my hair because I am hell bent on finding the right product for my hair type. I am not hopeless! I have ordered the best products from America, Europe, and Asia and while I have found some products that don't make my hair worse, nothing has actually made a difference in ONE USE.

I enjoy some salon professional shampoos and conditioners that are sulfate free, so I will re-stock at Ulta where I know they are authentic. During one of these hair runs, I stopped at the LP display, picked up the Restore travel kit, and didn't bother to scroll through reviews on my phone (for once) to validate the purchase. Best decision I have ever made!

One wash with the shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask, and I am pretty sure I am never going to need my (beloved and cherished) Pureology and Moroccanoil products ever again. That's seriously saying A LOT, for me. I have been using Moroccanoil religiously since 2009. And Pureology is a more recent staple, repurchasing since 2013. So maybe that's a stretch, because those brands have absolutely amazing products, but Living Proof Restore did what I didn't think any product would ever do, and that is make my hair almost back to its full health without me being scared to touch it, in one use. I have manageable white hair. Am I really saying that? Because LP Restore has literally given my hair life!

I had to leave this review, because within a week of using this, I actually had to ask myself: "Why didn't I use this before?!" I didn't even really consider this brand, or think to try it. So when I looked up the reviews, I realize it is a severely under-rated product; like I said, a "buried treasure." And for someone like me, who is looking to change their hair, but doesn't think that there is anything out there that can actually deliver their claims, well THIS does! I have tried practically everything, so you don't have to. For dry/damaged/over-processed hair that is a millimeter from breaking off like a crisp of a French fry, this is what you NEED. Needless to say, but this is a I-Can-Never-Be-Without repurchase for me!

***EDIT***
I have since changed my rating to 4 stars. I felt it helped my hair initially but as other reviewers stated, it didn't work long term. I could never tell if the shampoo cleaned my hair/scalp enough, or overly stripped my ends. My hair started getting unbalanced, feeling dirty quickly, but also simultaneously felt dry, and worse, as if there were a film left on my hair. It looked dull and felt bad, so I stopped using it. It seemed like I had to clarify my hair a TON afterwards. I would only use it again if my scalp felt very dry and my hair had no problems with buildup. I feel as if this product masked the problem at first and that's why I thought it was such a miracle. :( A little disappointed, but I do have some amazing hair products that give me UNREAL results so it isn't too much of a loss.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This shampoo just sucks. I'm not really sure how to put it otherwise, it does absolutely nothing for my hair. When I rinse it out, my hair feels stripped and rough. I can't imagine how very damaged hair would feel after using this. My hair isn't too damaged, as I do baby it, but it takes a lot of TLC to make my hair healthy (I have thick, wavy, naturally blonde hair that is colored and highlighted for reference). My hair been through a LOT over the years lol, and I like a shampoo that feels gentle on my hair, that cleanses without stripping. I like for when I rinse my shampoo out that my hair feels soft and smooth, and not tangled. This stuff I feel definitely contributes to tangles. It just leaves my hair feeling rough for lack of a better word. After using this shampoo it feels like I need 10 pounds of conditioner to rehydrate my hair and to work out the tangles. For the price this stuff is basically garbage in my opinion. Save your money on this one.

on 2/13/2016 8:52:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

My hair is very fine, thin and dry, and super prone to frizzing. I live in a desert, which doesn't help much with the dryness, but if I go somewhere humid, it frizzes up like crazy.I bought PHD 5 in 1 and the Restore line to try and help me through a summer in NYC and Montreal, which are much more humid than home.

This shampoo is sulfate free, which I'd been looking for. Plus, I was interested in the "research results" on Sephora.com, which claim:
- After 5 uses of Restore Shampoo and Conditioner, hair's porosity is reduced 100%.
- After 5 uses of Restore Shampoo and Mask Treatment, hair is 9 times more resistant to breakage.
My hair is famously terrible, so this sounded pretty great!

I purchased a trial size box with the entire Restore line, and although I hated the smell, it was definitely effective. I bought everything in full size. My hair did feel more dense, and you absolutely can go longer between washes. There are videos online about how the product fills hair and repels dirt and water. It's impressive but I don't know if it allows any oil or protein to penetrate the hair shaft. It doesn't build up and get ropey like cones, but there's definitely has a cumulative effect.

When I use the LP line, I can style my hair, sleep on it, and still look pretty decent in the morning, even after taking a red-eye. I've even gone to the gym for a light workout and come out with halfway tolerable bangs. This is VERY UNUSUAL for me, because I sweat like crazy. This product just seems to repel humidity and maintain shape.

A note for anyone trying to decide between the PHD line or Restore, Restore is supposed to provide more help for damaged hair, and I think it does this through a higher concentration of OFPMA, LP's proprietary molecule. It doesn't seem any more moisturizing than PHD though, which is what I missed with LP. I think their entire philosophy is to prevent moisture from getting into the hair.

I noticed after a month or two of use that my hair was starting to snag again, and I'd have to reapply the 5 in 1 several times a day to smooth it. I went in for a trim and my stylist commented how damaged my hair was. I was not in the best health while it was growing out, so that probably has a lot to do with it, but I just felt I wanted to go back to using something more natural, so I went back to Phyto products. Maybe after I go through a cycle with them, I'll try and finish the bottles of all my LP products. For now, I'm loving the Phyto line.

I bought a travel size package from Ulta for the Restore shampoo, conditioner, and mask. Let's just say I love it so much, I bought the bigger bottles!

I have balayage ombre hair. My hair is dry, thick and somewhat coarse. Since I started using Living Proof, huge changes! My hair is softer, shinier, and overall healthier. Styling my hair has become easier. I can also longer in between wash days. Prior to Living Proof, I had been co-washing, but was suffering from fall out. I switched to another line that was sulfate free as well, but still had the fall out. I have very little hair come out in the shower with Living Proof. I am a convert.

on 12/1/2015 3:44:00 PM

Good, but not $28 good. And it's only an 8oz bottle too.

This shampoo is very heavily scented with that perfume-y Living Proof scent, but it doesn't linger. Very rich and thick texture, lathers up and cleans my hair thoroughly.

I find it makes my hair a little bit more tangly before conditioning, and it isn't really moisturizing at all. Definitely not worth it for the price.

When I bought this from Ulta I had a generous coupon and I redeemed some of my rewards points, so in the end I ended up paying about half price. I'm glad I got such a great deal because while this is a decent product, it's an overpriced one.

Have to say I wouldn't buy it again.

Popular Shampoos