Sisley Skinlea

3.5

I was excited when this super-foundation came out as it essentially claims (paraphrasing) that once applied Skinleya foundation will create younger and better looking skin and over time skin will look younger and better even *without* the foundation on. The claim that interested me most was the claim that this foundation would erase the signs of tired skin. Skinleya: The jar didn't impress me much, but Sisley packaging has always been one of their weak points. The short, awkward brush they supply is useless for me, as it's too stiff. So I applied the foundation with fingers, like always with other Sisley foundations and it works for me. I tried it with couple different brushes, but fingers made it look best, since the texture is more gel-like than creamy brushes tend to leave stripes on some parts of face. Didn't try it with beauty blender (it wasn't a thing back when this foundation came out). The color tested was 1 Light Opal, which is the lightest shade they have in their line-up here. It's a tiny bit too deep for my pale skin, so not an exact match, but as it turns out, the coverage is very, very sheer so it didn't look orange. Yes, coverage is sheer, it didn't cover anything completely, so for hiding flaws this foundation doesn't work. It doesn't settle into pores or lines, but doesn't blur them either. It didn't built well, so layering isn't an option. Once it sets it has a dewy finish, Sisley claims it's the silky youthful glow. Oil control is minimal, it does turn shiny at the 3-4 h mark without any powder. It doesn't last on my skin, after 5-6 hours it's mostly gone and my skin is left shiny. It's also not very forgiving on skin's texture, once it starts to get shiny it exaggerates everything, something like pores is also magnified. So I changed my perspective, instead of thinking of it as a foundation, I started treating it as a lightly tinted moisturizer and waited if there would be any skin benefits. After about 2 months of more or less daily use the jar was though and no reason to buy another jar had yet crystalized. It's not drying, maybe slightly moisturizing, it didn't clog a single pore, despite the fragrance there was no irritation. Skin hadn't changed, the claim that it would treat tired skin didn't turn out to be true in my experience, nor did I saw any younger looking skin. And since it offers no visible change with my skin, and it's so sheer and does last only half a day I have to say it just isn't a good product for my needs, neither as make-up, nor as skin care.

Not enough coverage for mature skin. I am fair and was given Vanilla for a match. My husband asked if I was feeling ill as I looked very pale.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

This stuff is really nice but, ouch, the price isn't. I am 50 and it makes my skin look great and goes on smoothly and you don't need much. They only had two colours in at Heathrow Terminal 5 and so the colour I got is a little dark for me (soft rose) but nothing I can't work with (I am NC20, I think, in MAC). I think it was £100 or thereabouts. I will repurchase when it runs out, but in a lighter colour.

Excellent product, well worth the cost.

This foundation gives a beautiful, dewy sheer to medium coverage IF it is applied correctly. I agree with the other reviewers, a wet sponge is the best way to go. A thin layer on top of my favorite winter primer (Ettusais Amino CC cream) was all I needed, and it covered minor imperfections fairly well, but then I don`t ever use too much concealer in the daytime. I think this foundation would be great for someone with really pale skin, as usually I would be the lowest shade in the color range of most foundation brands, but for this I am a 10, the third color in the range. The foundation lasted all day on me with powder on top. It is moisturizing, but it did not turn me into an oil slick. Now for the bad news: It needs serious blending, and it cannot be layered, as it cakes too much and sits on top of pores. For a sheer foundation it`s WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! Obscenely so. I mean, I can get the same results with my Koh Gen Do Aqua at a fraction of the price. And my KGD is far more user friendly (you can apply with brush, sponge, fingers) and has some nice ingredients. I am willing to shell out cash for expensive foundations from Suqqu, because with the Frame Fix N foundations (liquid and creme) I can truly see a major difference in coverage and appearance that justifies that price tag, but I can`t quite say the same for Skinleya.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

What a disappointment!
I never felt the need to write a review on a beauty product, until now.

I bought this Foundation on sale - I was so happy to find the right tone for my skin AND it was 50% off. When I tried it, I used the flat (very hard) brush it comes with. I had thin lines all over my face and the foundation was sitting on my pores. Then I tried another flat brush... and then a dual fiber brush: no lines anymore, but very little coverage and it was sitting on my pores. Maybe the technique was poor... so I tried with my fingers, and it was a bit better, but still a no go.
Maybe my skin is soooo dehidrated (never thought this before but...you know: Sisley is such a good brand...). So I put a hidrating mask the night before, doubled my daily moisturing cream in the morning, tried the Foundation again and...and again... and then with diferent moisturizers, with or without serums... with or without sunscreen... with dry or damp weather... you name it!
It sat on my pores. Period.
I feel frustrated about the fact that non of the techniques seem to work WELL. The best way to layer it may be with a wet sponge, but still this Foundation does not give me sufficient coverage, sits on my pores, does not wear long and you still can see my sensitive-over-40-fair-with-rosacea skin underneath...
Then I had an idea: I went to a Sisley makeup consultant, who - herselp - tried the Foundation on my face.
Guess what: it sat on my pores etc etc.

It smells good though and I DO hope some good may be doing to my skin, with all the renowned ingredients and high end quality Sisley is supposed to offer for such an ambicious price!... I DO hope...

I was anxious to try this insanely expensive makeup. I got a bit of a deal on ebay but it was still very pricey. After some experimenting I finally got this to work. It comes with a very nice foundation brush but I wasn't crazy about how the makeup looked.even with careful blending. I could see the makeup on my face and didn't like how it settled in pores. I also tried applying it with my fingers. Not happy with that either. Finally I used a damp beauty blender sponge and that worked best. I also used a primer - Clarins instant touch. Those 2 things produced the best result. If I were to buy another Sisley makeup it would be the oil free phyto-teint eclat. It is a far superior makeup and it is perfection which also happens to be about $70 cheaper.

I haven't wrote any reviews in the last years, but this foundation is so wonderfull that I can't understand why all the bad reviews?In the last five or six years I've used La Prairie's Caviar foundation wich is perfect.But Skinleya is more than perfect! It is more than a simple foundation and it's very different than everything I have ever tried! At first it was a little difficult to apply it and I belive that this is the reason for all the negative reviews.But if you'll take time to gently apply it ,with light and short strokes using the provided brush ,you will find that this foundation is amazing! It has a beautifull coverage ,sheer but somehow perfect that I don't need any concealer.The skin looks rested , perfectly natural, flawless and glowy, and you only need a very small amount to cover your entire face.Try it and you will find this foundation amazing!(sorry for my bad English)
Update:I'm at my second jar and I can now understand the bad reviews.IT'S ALL IN THE APPLICATION METHOD!The result can be horrible or wonderfull,it all depends on how you apply it! It can look horrible if you:apply it with the fingers,overapply it(it will settle on top and peel off),blend it in all directions,use to much product(it will look thick and a bit cakey).And it will look wonderfull if you:apply it gently with a brush,use little by little product,apply it in only one direction,apply only one thin layer(maximum two!),use light downwards strokes starting in the middle and blending outwards.This foundation is not buildable,it can't be layered !If you do that and overapply it will settle into pores and look awfull! You need to apply a thin and continous layer of foundation.I know that it sounds hard to do ,but once you get it it's in fact very eassy!You just need to forget the way that you used to apply your foundation and learn a new way,because this great product is not like anything I've tryed before. If you will take your time to apply this carefully you will be amazed by the result!
I hope that my review will be helpful because I find it very unfair that such a great product gets bad reviews from people that just tryed a sample and applyed it in a wrong way!

I agree that the Capture Totale foundation is much much much better than this one. I don't have bad skin, enlarged pores , etc, but this foundation sits in the pores and looks absolutely awful ! I like and use a lot of sisley skincare products and love them, I thought this foundation will be better for people after 40. Unfortunately it does nothing, for me it looks like bad quality tinted moisturiser. It's a waste of money.

When i first put this on, i absolutely hated it. I thought how on earth could this foundation be so expensive when it looks so horrible on my skin? it didn't sink into my skin, i could see it sitting on top of my pores - not a good finish! but after i completed the rest of my makeup routine (except for face powder) the foundation sunk in and i was left with an absolutley beautiful, natural, radiant finish. It wasn't heavy either - much like the fluid foundation in the sisley line. The difference between the two other than the obvious (one is a cream, one is liquid, one comes in a pump, one is in a jar) is that Skinleya has antiaging benifits in it. It's also more moisturizing. it made my skin look fantastic. The coverage is light to medium. NEVER CAKEY - i had a blemish and layerd this on it and it covered it well!

very simular to By Terry VIP expert foundation brush in terms of price and preformance