J. Crew Beauty Poppy King for J. Crew lipstick

No Image

3.3

Ok this is my HG red. Seriously. This is what started my obsession with red lipsticks and yet, I come back to this over and over again after I become less than enamoured with my Chanels and Guerlains.

Seriously. I know all the people below describes this in less than favorable terms, but I can only tell you why this is my favorite.

This red is a more orangy red than true red, with a hint of pink; warmer and more sheer than Ruby woo, but in that color family. I don't think this will work for everyone, much like any other red lipstick, but for me (NC20ish, a bit lighter and yellow), this brightens my face and somehow blurs uneven-ness, if that's possible.

The formula is waxy but thin, similar to all the balms out there, but much less creamy, less push-ability. If there was one aspect of this that wasn't great, it would probably be the formula. Tends to bleed a bit if not careful. BUT, this is a perfect balance between sheer and color, where it covers well, but still shows your lipcolor a bit, just enough to allow it to balance your natural coloring. Not too glossy, but not matte.

Overall, it gives your lips a "soft and precious" quality that i can't really put words to...its like your lips are naturally rose-bud like and reddened by berries, but better? Less pin-up, more country side youthfullness?

Anyways. I have a back up. Obviously.

on 4/9/2012 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Just get the Revlon colorburst lip butter in candy apple. Same thing, less than half the price.

on 10/18/2011 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

After seeing this lipstick featured in Lucky Magazine a few months ago, I searched for this lipstick high and low and was disappointed when it sold out online. I was recently able to track it down at a nearby J.Crew store and grabbed a tube even though they didn't have a tester (note to J.Crew: You should put out a tube of lipstick to be used as a tester!) I have to say I'm very disappointed in this lipstick. It's supposed to be the same color as the reddish orange shade worn by their models, but it's very sheer, with a slight shimmer, and definitely not orangey red. It's a hard color to describe but it's a corally red that looks almost florescent in some lighting. I was expecting a more pigmented creme, but this is pretty sheer and feels like a gloss stick and not a lipstick. The only good thing is you can layer it for more color intensity, which is probably why J.Crew claims it looks good on everyone. It's not a bad red, it's just not the reddish orange I expected, like NARS Red Square or Heatwave. Comes in a black rubberized tube (feels somewhat cheap) and retails for $18.

on 3/10/2012 10:12:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Well I'm embarrassed to admit I gave in to the hype, esp considering I've never been a fan of Poppy King lipsticks. (Tried & while not bad, they don't even come close to the wonder that is Nars l/s.)

There were plenty left at J.Crew in SF but wtf, there weren't any testers. So I bought it based on staring at Internet pix & peering at the tube.

While it's not terrible on me (pale Asian), it does bring out sallowness. So no, I don't consider this universally flattering. Plus it's not as sheer as I was led to believe, at least not on me. It's not quite orange & not quite red either. & I really like the all out orange of Nars Heatwave (tho Schiap is still a much better bright for me). This one is just... meh.

I guess moral of the story is, try to somehow test it first. If it works for your skin tone, it could be quite pretty. But, Heatwave is still a much better orange-red.

Oh, & this shade doesn't look quite like the catalog. They supposedly use either Heatwave or MAC Lady Danger or a mix of the 2...

on 2/18/2012 2:22:00 PM

This lipstick started out great - I like that I can build the color, going from a subtle sheer red-orange to a brighter, more opaque shade. The color was exactly what I was expecting, and I liked the packaging. However, this lipstick started smelling old very quickly (in about 6 months!). I have much older lipstick that is still just fine. For the price, I would have expected this to last longer!

on 2/6/2012 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

These reviews just go to show that skin type and skin color (and the climate you live in) can make all the difference in the world.

I live in a high desert climate with very dry air - and I have dry, sensitive skin - so on me, this lipstick is quite matte and bold. And dry! Lol! I actually have to layer it over lip balm. But with all that it is long lasting on me - even through light snacking and sipping. It is a bright lipstick - it took awhile for me to get used to it - but the compliments I get whenever I wear it won me over :-). I would encourage anyone to give this lipstick a chance and try wearing it in public a few times. It's a hard shade to get used to in this time of pinky brown lipsticks and gloss but I think it's worth it. And if it's sheer as it is on most people, it won't be that obvious anyway.
EDIT: I'm changing this to won't repurchase because I'm switching to natural lipsticks. Everything I said about this still holds true though!