Ego QV wash

Filtered by skin type : Dry
 Ego QV wash

3.0

Aqua (water), sodium lauryl sulfate, glycerin, lauryl betaine, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, sodium cocoyl isethionate, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, glycol stearate, methylparaben, citric acid, propylparaben.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

It's not bad, bought the big bottle 1kg after trying the mini sample bottle which is adorable. It foams and no it doesn't dry up my skin after the was which is awesome! I thought foaming cleansers dry up the skin? I don't know but this surely doesn't dry up my already dry face which is an extra plus point. I have no idea if it gives me zits but I do get breakouts, not sure if it's the cleanser or my skincare or my makeup but either way my breakouts are not that bad so it's alright ;) till I find a better gentle cleanser, guess I'm sticking to this big ass bottle which never seems to be ending as I only use a pea size amount to wash my face.

on 2/11/2014 10:04:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This product performs reasonably well, I'm a bit disappointed by the QV wash, because despite being soap-free and containing 10% glycerin, the second ingredient is sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) which is a known irritant! It's a positive control used in scientific studies. When they want to see if an ingredient is problematic for skin, they compare its propensity of adverse reactions to that of SLS.

SLS is mentioned in major journals like the European Journal of Dermatology and the American Journal of Contact Dermatitis as causing sensitising reactions in relatively large numbers of people.

So given that Ego Pharmaceuticals created the QV range specifically for the Dermatology department of Queen Victoria Hospital (hence the name) to use for their patients, why on earth would they include SLS, let alone as the second ingredient? Perhaps this is why they also make a QV Gentle Wash which is SLS-free.

Ego has this to say about their Gentle Wash: "Recommended for cleansing drier skin as it contains a higher concentration of moisturiser than QV Wash." Really? AFAIK, all they did is replace the SLS with sodium lauroyl sarcosinate.

This could have been a great product without the SLS. Next time I'll be buying the Gentle Wash instead, which is unfortunately harder to find.