Burt's Bees Sensitive Facial Cleanser with Cotton Extract

3.4

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

aqua (water, eau), helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), sucrose stearate, cetearyl alcohol, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, gossypium herbaceum (cotton) flower extract, oryza sativa (rice) extract, beta vulgaris (beet, extrait de racine de betterave) root extract, quillaja saponaria bark extract, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, yucca schidigera leaf/root/stem extract, artemisia umbelliformis extract, euphrasia officinalis extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, saccharum officinarum (sugar cane, extrait de canne à sucre) extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, silica, sucrose, fructose, glucose, coco-glucoside, inositol, maltodextrin, citric acid, benzoic acid, trehalose, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, CI 77947 (zinc oxide), alcohol denat., phenoxyethanol.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REMOVE A FULL FACE OF MAKEUP! pros: -simple and non irritating -most of the ingredients are natural(that doesn't always mean it won't be irritating) -softens skin -doesnt break me out cons- you have to cut open the bottle to get all the product out (there is still about a week's worth of wash in there) I am tired of people hating on this product because "it barley removed makeup" its not a makeup remover stop treating it as such.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I had been looking for a gentle cleanser that would remove make-up and not have terrible ingredients.
It took me an age to find something (and I have tried many other cheap and top brands). I came across this in a Boots store (UK) and found it on offer, so I thought I'd give it a go!

You must apply this to a wet face. This is great for me, as I use this before I go to bed when I remove my make up. I always use a hot/damp wash cloth to remove my make up along with my cleanser. I don't wear a huge amount of make up anyway, but it does remove everything.

It is very gentle on the skin, and it leaves it feeling soft and smooth. I even like the aroma. It is not strong, but it smells very natural!

It is a little pricey, but I would buy this again. It does not break me out and I have oily/ sensitive skin. Love it. x

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This cleanser is really low grade and a waste of money. It's a gunky mess. All Burt's Bees products are junk, save for the lip balms (beeswax over abreva is magic for fever blisters, as beeswax has antiviral & antimicrobial properties). I think the reason is karma. Burt Shavitz, whose pic is on the products, was screwed over by his ex-girlfriend Roxanne Quimby.

Quimby took Burt's beeswax magic and made millions for herself while Burt was left in the cold. Read about it here: http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/the-back-story-behind-burts-bees-it-sold-out-years-ago.html

If it matters to you how regular people are treated by others who steal their ideas & cash in on them, boycott Burt's Bees. I think it's disgusting how Mr. Shavitz died living in a coop while Ms. Quimby is still living the high life b/c she's a thief. 'Nuff said.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this cleanser after reading several good reviews. I have dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin that is showing signs of rosacea (flushing mans redness on cheeks). The cleanser is very creamy, a little bit goes a long way. After washing, I noticed a film was left behind. At first, I was pleased with the wash as my face looked much less red, and the skin looked more hydrated. After about a week, the redness came back and there are several bumps on my cheeks. I'll be returning this, and trying Cerave.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Im in the minority of those who like this wash. I bought it on a whim while grocery shopping. I have very sensitive skin that can be both oily and dry (if that makes sense) and break out easily. This cleanser is very gentle and creamy in consistency. I always remove my makeup with a makeup removing cleansing cloth (Ponds) before I wash with this. I don't think it would be suitable for removing make up. Its a little thick and would probably leave a film on your skin. A little goes a long way, a pea size amount is fine for me in the shower. I've been using it over 6 months and I haven't had any issues with breakouts or clogged pores (I do rotate with my Lush fresh pharmacy soap though). Gentle for winter skin but not too heavy for summer. I will say the smell can be a little off putting - not necessary a "bad" smell but kinda like clay IMO. The price isnt too steep (around $12 USD). I will probably repurchase, its a great simple cleanser to keep in the shower.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using a lush cleanser for a long time. It seemed to not be working anymore. My skin felt dry so I decided to try this out.

Now, I was nervous to try this. I tried their acne face wash when I was younger and it made my skin much, much worse. So the past five years or so I've stayed away from face products from this brand.

The creaminess of this has actually helped calmed down my skin. My skin is less red and my pimples are clearing up. It leaves my skin clean and soft. I prefer to use it on dry skin and then rinse it off because I feel like it gets all the gunk out that way. I also use an exfoliating pad with it every few days. I really like that is how no smell and a tiny bit goes a long way.

**EDIT: I thought I edited this ages ago. I used this product until the tube was almost empty, at which point I had to throw it out because I started reacting to it.

I liked it for the first 2/3 or so of the tube, but one day, out of the blue, I washed my face with it and felt like I'd doused myself in hot oil. The way this product sticks around even after rinsing thoroughly made it worse because I just couldn't get it all off my skin without making the pain worse. I ended up using a gentle scrub on my face, and a washcloth to get it off my eyes, which worked, but the result was skin that looked and felt like it had a severe sunburn and puffy, red eyes for about a day. The soreness didn't fully subside for about 2.5-3 days, and I was left with a lot of tiny dry patches all over my face.

I had recently started using a few other new products, so I didn't immediately associate the pain with this (I thought it was possible it was this product possibly reacting WITH another product), but after trying it two more times, and only reacting when this was the only common product, convinced me.

It's a shame, really, because I liked this stuff. I knocked it down one lippie because the leftover residue started to really annoy me. I still kind of recommend it, just keep in mind that you CAN develop a sensitivity or allergy to any product at any time.**

I like this stuff a lot, but I'm not in love with it. I tend to use it kind of like cold cream.

Here's how I use it:
I put it on my damp face and rub it in all over. Then I rinse it off. If I had a lot of makeup on (foundation, concealer, etc.) I follow with either my acne wash or scrub on my problem areas, and then toner all over. Then I moisturize. If I didn't have a lot of face makeup on (just BB cream, or spot concealer), or if it's morning, I do the same as above, but skip the acne wash and just use toner and then moisturizer.

I've found that it does a great job at removing eye makeup without irritating my eyes like cold cream, makeup remover, and some oils do. It even got waterproof mascara off, so big thumbs up for that.

But, it doesn't do a great job of removing foundation. When I used this and just followed up with a toner, after wearing foundation, I found that there was still makeup on my face.

I haven't tried washing twice with this, like I have with cold creams, but I suspect that might help. It just seems a bit wasteful, so I tend to avoid products like that (especially pricier things like this)

After washing it off, it also feels like it's left a bit of residue behind. I don't mind that very much, but I can see how it would be annoying.

Pros:
-Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin
-Doesn't cause me to breakout (huge thumbs up because I'm very prone to breakouts)
-Removes eye makeup really well and gently
-Leaves my skin feeling super soft
-If I didn't use toner, I wouldn't have to use moisturizer after this
-Seems to clean my face well as long as it didn't have much/any makeup on it
-My tube is pretty large, so I think it will last about twice as long as most of my face washes

Cons:
-Leaves a residue behind (like I said, I'm ok with that, but I'm still making it a con)
-Doesn't remove face makeup very well
-A little pricey for drugstore (but that's Burt's Bees in general)

Overall, I recommend it if you have sensitive skin, and I will most likely buy it again.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Did not work for my oily skin.
Did not cleanse well especially when wearing makeup.
My skin never felt clean and felt heavy or suffocating.

For my son who has very dry skin and red cheeks this did help calm the redness.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I got this over the winter due to dryness, plus who doesn't mind less harsh cleansers?

PROS: Well, it's gentle alright. Sometimes simply cleansing makes my face a little redder, which dies down after, but this doesn't even do that that much.

CONS: It sucks at removing dirt/residue/etc on it's own. It's practically a lotion, and it doesn't easily rinse off with water... you will need a washcloth or a Clarisonic, something. It leaves my face feeling like rubbery, squeaky clean-ish, or that there is still stuff on it. It has an oil right near the top of the list and that is the reason why, I've tried a couple other cleansers that had high oil concentration and they did the same thing. I tested it multiple times 2x, and on the second cleaning with my Clarisonic, there was tons more removed. I don't really trust it to really clean my face, but I haven't had any breakouts or anything.

OVERALL: My skin has actually been looking pretty clear since I started using this, but I don't really like the non-easily removed texture.

UPDATE July 23, 2015: I'm downgrading this to a 1. It does not cleanse the skin at all. It doesn't matter if you use a lot, really work it in, use a washcloth, it's just is poor at cleansing. Every single time I have used it, like a makeshift makeup removal wipe, I go then over with my Clarisonic, and the Clarisonic gets so much extra off that it's like nothing was removed in the first place at all!

Although it is a thick formula, I think the cleanser is indeed great for sensitive and normal/convo skin types. It is moisturising and cleans the skin very well. After thoroughly rinsing the cleanser off, it may feel as I there is a bit of residue, however it doesn't clog your pores, instead it creates a moisturising effect. Using a toner over the top will balance your skin'a Ph levels. Burts bees sensitive cleanser is also frangrance free and has no skin irritating ingredients.
Overall, I am pleased and will repurchase.