3.8

price range

Reviews

from

4 years ago

I do think it's overpriced! I think that it was probably the prototypes that we got here in Australia, on the carousel - or perhaps the product heating within a case didn't meet Aus standards (would have been sooo handy for travel dangnabbit!) I have shortish shoulder length hair in a midi haircut, because I do 40's pincurls and victory rolls every day. I actually wanted this to refresh my curls mid-week. I do a wet set weekly, and my hair is healthier for drying under the hard hood with a slow heat. It's like a steam treatment, as well as a set. My hair has a scraggy wave, and is rough, so it holds a curl really well from the wet set. So about the fourth night, I wake up and it's lost some foof! Technical term that; foof! So I thought this would be really good, as I can refresh the curl quickly, while my hands are free to do things like washing up, doing make-up, nails, etc. I also figured it would be good for those days, where you plan not to style your hair because you'll be home and then have to go out, grrr- arrgh! Anyone with a midi hairstyle knows that it is NOT a wash and wear thing! Especially if you have crazy, frizzy, rough hair, like me! So at least I could get some shiny waves and put in some hair slides in a hurry. Well, it is perfect for all those things! It was probably a lot easier for me than for some because I roll my hair in pincurls nearly every day. I could probably do it in my sleep, so it was really easy for me to clip a shell on as the last step, instead of chucking in a bobby pin or three. Well, it does exactly what I wanted. It returned shine and bounce to my hair with no damage, no need to re-set, and hands free to do other things. I have three times as much hair as most people, and was surprised to get all of my hair into just 15 clips, when I use about 30 plus rollers in my hair for a wet set. I think I would need extra shells if I had long hair, but as it is a little bit longer than chin length, and not quite shoulder length, this is ideal. Totally did what I expected, as I had a slightly different angle on what I wanted to achieve than most people would have had. I can't say enough about how good this is for me, thanks to Guy Tang on you tube for showing me they existed, and extra thanks to my lovely husband and mum, who bought them for me for my birthday! Love them truly! And PS. I was a little hesitant as hot rollers NEVER EVER held a curl in my hair because my hair is coarse. But these little babies held really well. A+ Linda Flowers, who thought of these!

About reviewer (10 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinAcne-prone, Olive

HairBrunette

3.0

5 years ago

This is an edited review, revisited after I got my hair cut into textured layers and I tried the product again with the shorter layers. I have thick, slightly wavy hair. When I got this product, my hair was mostly one length and about a handspan below my shoulders. This was WAY too long for this to realy work well, especially for thick hair. I really have to say that if you have long hair, especially if you have long, thick hair, this product is probably not really going to work for you very well, just because of the limited size of the clips and the method you have to use to curl the hair. For me, the curls would be there, would turn out okay, but they wouldn't stay in for more than a couple of hours at most. Putting in a mousse while my hair was still damp and using a heat protecting plus curl holding hair spray on each curl before I wrapped and clipped it helped, but not that much. There was still just too much hair, and while the clips get hot, they don't get anywhere near as hot as a curling iron or even hot rollers, and the curls just didn't stay. The styling set I have came with sixteen clamps, eight large and eight small. I find that I need to use all sixteen clamps to do my whole head (thick hair, as I said), but the heating element only holds eight at a time, which is kind of annoying. What I've started doing is putting a cold clamp on when I take a hot one off, and by the time I get around again, it's ready to use. The clamps do heat up quite quickly, and there's a heat indicator light so you know when they're ready to use. Doing my hair with this device isn't really fast, nor that easy, to be honest. It has taken some practice to learn how to form the curls and how to properly place the shells over them (if bits of the curl are hanging out of the shell, I found you get an incomplete curl, and it tends to go frizzy, at least with my hair). Once I worked with the pin curl technique a few times, though, it became surprisingly straightforward. I'm still no expert, and I often have to re-wrap the curls a few times until they're formed the way I want, but that, I suspect, is a matter of practice. (Word of advice: If you're unfamiliar with how to make finger-formed pin curls, there are loads of great videos on YouTube and tutorials on the web. The "instructions" that come with the TopStyler are super simplified and not that useful, IMHO.) I also found that I can make a pin curl and then actually pin it in place, and then put the clip over that curl. That can make it easier to keep the curl shape, and I haven't seen any issues with the pin making a mark in the curl or anything like that. Maybe if I just wanted to do some general, big, beachy waves rather than curls, it would be quicker, but doing it properly with two-finger curls does take some time (I'd estimate about half an hour or a little more, but that might get quicker as I get more and more practice, and, because my hair is thick, I have to do a lot more curls than someone with thinner hair might have to do), and then there's the cooling time (I definitely need 20 minutes to cool because of the thickness of my hair), and then there's the final styling, which is actually pretty quick. So all up, I could get a head full of nice, bouncy curls in about 45 minutes or an hour, maybe less if I did bigger curls or was a little better at the wrapping. So for me, this is in no way a "time saver". Since I don't do curls in my hair every day, it's not a huge deal, but the time investment to get a good set is considerable. Since I got my hair cut into layers, this works a little better for me, because the shorter layers mean smaller amounts of hair going into the clips, and there's less weight in my hair to pull the curls out, but I still need to use mousse and hairspray if I want the curls to last more than a couple of hours (and even then it can be iffy unless I use rather a lot of hairspray once the hair is styled). I will say that this is an innovative product, and does work. However, there IS a learning curve, and for some people, it may take a fair bit of practice if you're not used to doing finger-wrapped pin curls. But once you master that, and have spent some time experimenting with the techniques to get the look you want, I think this is a worthwhile styling product if you want to get natural looking curls or waves. If you can get this on sale or at a good discount, it would be a lot better value for money, though; the "usual price" is pretty high for what you get. (This was the first time in my life I've ever bought a product from an infomercial -- only because it was not available in stores at the time I bought it -- and it will probably be the last. I knew what I was paying when I ordered it, and I did get a bonus round heated brush which is a decent tool and which I use surprisingly often, but still, the kit was pretty expensive for what I got. I won't be doing that again.)

About reviewer (301 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairGrey, Wavy, Other

2.0

6 years ago

It is hard to get good curls that aren't too loose or too tight

About reviewer (5 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

6 years ago

I love this thing. I have super straight, fine, thin hair. I normally have a hard time using hot rollers because my hair is so wispy and anything I do with a curling iron falls out within a couple hours. It took a little while to get the hang of rolling pin curls, but now that I am used to it, I can do my whole head in about 7 or 8 minutes. then I let it cool while I do my makeup and get dressed. The curl lasts longer as any other curling device I have used (not to say the curl is exactly the same after 12 hours but it holds well for my hair). My sister who has long thick hair didn't have luck with this but if you have fine or thin hair, go for it!! I bought this when it first came out off the TV infomercial (it was buy one get one, total of about 90 bucks) so I have a backup just in case the one I have dies.

About reviewer (65 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination

HairRed

6 years ago

So I got these off nomorerack.com for like $29. I love this thing! My hair is semi wavy and holds the curl really well. You have to know how to do pin curls. If you are not used to wrapping your hair around your finger it will not turn out well. Practice! My stepdaughters hair is very straight and with no product, it barely curls her hair at all, but if you put hairspray in before it works for her as well. I love this thing! Very quick too- 10 mins and I'm done!

About reviewer (20 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

6 years ago

This is my GO-TO appliance. and i'm on my third one… not because its broken down on me but because i have given them away or left it at my daughters and never got it back. I was hooked on my InfraShine 1" straightener but this is less damaging, easier and quicker to use and I love the fullness whether you straighten or curl. I have the large one but am treating myself to the smaller sized barrel as we speak

About reviewer (201 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlack, Other, Coarse

6 years ago

I have extremely long, straight, thick and stubborn, slippery hair when it comes to curling. I just purchased this product because I decided to try something different (curling irons/hot & cold rollers/straighteners) in hopes that it would work and be less damaging for my hair - it was also half price, so that helped! It definitely takes some familiarizing. I can see how some people would think this product is a nuisance especially with curlers or rollers and the whole "grab and go" concept. However, my second try was perfect! I have never used pin curls before and yet I easily mastered how to properly use the T.S as best fit for my hair even without burning my fingers. Even the shells stayed put in my slick hair! I have extremely small hands as well so I found keeping to the 3 finger curls generally worked better. I also let it set for about 30 minutes with minimal product just so I could get a good feel for how long my curls would last. I should also mention I live in an extremely humid climate! So curls just don't last long for me at all. So far, it does take a bit of time to figure out (more than hot rollers in my opinion, maybe cause it's still new) but small price to pay for extremely voluminous, shiny, beautiful curls! Best of all, safer for your hair due to the solid ceramic shells. This product is solidly made and I would totally recommend it to anyone who has hair issues such as mine! Now days you can easily get a set for under $100.. and I"m in Canada!

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

3.0
from

6 years ago

I have only used it once, but I CANT get the wrapping part down! They fall off my finger before I get the C shell on and I'm afraid I'll accidentally clamp my finger in and burn it :( Will update after more practice

About reviewer (1 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinOily, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

7 years ago

Love these clips. For a beachy wave I wrap sections around 3 fingers and then clip them. Easy, fast and relatively heat safe due to the ceramic. They heat up quickly and don't add moisture to my hair. These are fantastic, IMO.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBlue

2.0

7 years ago

I watched the dvd that came with the Topstyler, plus a number of videos on Youtube before purchasing and trying it out. It was fairly easy to use, and when I took the clips out, I had beautiful curls, so I was pretty impressed. An hour or two later, not so impressed any more, because the curl had entirely disappeared. I tried using all of the clips, putting less hair in each one, I tried a one finger roll to make a tighter curl, I tried spray, nothing makes the curl stick, alas. The case is neat, the process is much quicker than a curling iron or wand, but it just doesn't work for my hair. Odd, because my hair normally holds a curl well. So disappointed it didn't work for me, and I hope I can return it.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair