Butter London Hardwear PD Quick Topcoat

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Love this! Drys my nails underneath. Hardens slightly, stops chipping and prevents ripples if you use thin coats of nail polish, if the polish is streaky it with blend out with the Topcoat.

This is a good serviceable quick dry top coat. Gives a nice shiny finish without shrinkage. My only concern is that it didn't give me a whole heap of manicures (about 25) and I believe that for the same price or less I can get comparable performing top coats that have more manicures in the bottle. I found it comparable to the Sally Hansen Insta Dri Top Coat in finish and dry time but the Sally Hansen is better value for money. Nice packaging and I've been happy with the product.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my Holy Grail topcoat, and I've tried a lot of them. It covers all bases - shiny, quick drying, no shrinkage, nice brush, gives me good wear. It does thicken up, like any quick dry topcoat, and I thin it every now and then with Seche Restore. I buy a few bottles at a time when I can find it on sale online, because as much as I love it, at full price it's just too much for a topcoat. A bottle lasts a while though, especially considering I paint my nails about twice a week on average.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

At $19.00/bottle it's a bit of an expensive splurge. I use 1-2 bottles a year and will absolutely ALWAYS repurchase the product. When applying 1 coat I normally have a chip within 2 days and begin to lose the shine. I apply 2 coats and it keeps my nails shiny for nearly 2 weeks and I don't see a chip for a week.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I got this in a set with the Butter London nail foundation base coat. I applied them both together (1 coat of base and 1 of topcoat) for a natural look. Although this topcoat dries rapidly, has a nice shine and made my nails feel harder & less fragile, the tips still chipped within a few days.

I also tried applying it over color (not BL) and it seems to wear a bit better, but I have also cut my nails back so that could be why.

I like that this doesn't have harmful ingredients and also like the thin consistency (many topcoats seem gloppy from the start) but I wouldn't buy it again for this price - it does not do a better job than others I've used.

I had high hopes for this and I can say this is the worst nailpolish I have ever used. I bought this and a sheer color and ended up returning all three of them. Very streaky and puddled up which is bad for a sheer color. I even did a manicure twice with this thinking maybe I didn't let it dry well enough. For $55 it should look like I came from the salon. Packaging lid is wasteful. Too bad, they have great marketing but terrible product. Mineral fusion nail polish works much better.

UPDATE:
I seem to have received a poor batch or old product because I exchanged this and it is completely different. No peeling and no chipping (1 minor chip, but I accidentally hit it on a stainless steel pan so, that doesn't count). This has glorious shine (looks like gel), stands up to food service industry battering, is 4 free and dries quickly. I love it!

OLD REVIEW:
This, unfortunately, is the worst top coat I have ever used. I painted it on this last night, took a shower this morning and it started chipping and peeling. I hadn't been doing anything to warrant this kind of poor performance.
I have tried painting it on thin, thick, on clean nails, on their base coat, on their color (Poole), covering the tips, not covering the tips, single coat and two coats. This chips and peels of within 24 hours EVERY TIME.
It's really too bad because it provides a lovely shine and I love the bottle design (where you use the lid cover to loosen the actual applicator...no more teeth marks). I hope it's just that I got a bad batch...because if not I am extremely disappointed.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my all-time favorite topcoat. It dries extremely fast on me - it's almost dry to touch on my first nail once I finish my 10th. It helps my manicures last longer. It's super glossy. However, I got it deeply discounted on sale, and I will not be repurchasing unless I can find it on sale again, because I just can't justify the price (about 10x as expensive as my second favorite topcoat, NYC Grand Central Station!).

I love this top coat. It keeps my nails from chipping for days even with a cheap nail polish.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a very expensive quick dry top coat. Now, if it did wonders for me, I would give it a high rating, but as it is, it isn't worth the expense - you can find quick dry top coats at a drugstore that are as good if not better than this one, for far less money. I used this topcoat exclusively for a couple of months to give it a real test drive. The butter london variety has a thin, watery consistency, rather than being more gel-like. I am pretty hard on my nails - I type a lot and also refile books, microfilm, etc., so I am always using them and get tipwear within two days no matter what. This topcoat didn't perform any better than what I had been using before, which was Revlon's quick dry top coat; in fact I got tipwear a little faster with the butter london than with Revlon or Seche Vite. It did dry quickly but not any quicker than Revlon. I got a decent amount of shine from it. Nothing out of the ordinary, though, on any count. Given how expensive it is, it is not worth the price to me. Buy one of butter london's nail polishes instead if you must, and leave the top coats to Seche Vite, Poshe, essie, Revlon, Sally Hansen, or virtually any other company.