Yves Saint Laurent Effet Faux Cils Cream Eyeliner

No Image

4.1

on 9/27/2011 11:46:00 AM

I have recently tried the new mascara from YSL, Faux Cils Shocking (see my review for that!), and I really liked it. Whilst I was at the counter waiting for my mascara, I looked at the most gorgeous looking cream eyer liners Ė there are 6 of these in the set. I bought Sea Black Ė a dark midnight blue with shimmer and a Cherry Black Ė a dark cherry red with shimmer. Both look very pretty and seductive in the potsÖ.

Application: I applied my normal Too Faced Shadow Primer, as I do with all of my eye make-up. First, I tried the Black Sea one. Whilst it did go on quite smoothly, the shade of the liner was no where near intense as I hoped it would be, and how it appears in the pot. It went on quite sheer and I had to keep going over it to get the colour I wanted (I wanted it to be like in the pot, lovely and opaque). I did achieve this eventually but it took time and patience, and if you have a wonky hand like me its hard to keep the patience to do this (esp when getting ready for work in the morning). Once it was nice and opaque I was still disappointed to see that the beautiful shimmer that you see in the pot doesnít quite transfer to the eyes as much as I wanted. Donít get me wrong, the liner doesnít show up matte or flat, but the intense gorgeousness that you see in the pot just doesnít translate to the eye, and thatís a big issue for me! Thumbs down in that respect, and not to mention I had to keep building it up!

Good points are that it didnít tug on my eye lid or anything thing like that. I have tried this liner with my Sonia Kaskuk bent eyeliner brush, the ELF bent eyeliner brush and my MAC angled eyeliner brush (canít remember the name of it at the moment!). I think a bent eyeliner brush is easier to use for this type of liner but you may disagree.

Once the liner was applied, it took time to dry and set. This can be a good and a bad thing Ė itís a good thing because if you make a mistake you can try and wipe it off or fix it quickly, but if you want to just crack on with the rest of your eye make up itís a pain to wait. I didnít wait long enough when I first applied and when I used my eye lash curlers it made a terrible mess and I had to start again!! Arghhh. If you have used the MAC Fluidlines, Bobbi Brown gel liners, Sephora, ELF or Wet n Wild NONE of them take as long as this one to dry!! This is the hardest one to work with for that reason.

Wear and Quality: Now, onto the wearÖ.I had really high hopes for this and I was let down once again! Donít forget this claims to be smudge proof, but is it? After one hour or so of wear I did what I always do with new liners and do the ďsmudge testĒ. By this, I mean that I take my finger and run it across my lash line and try and smudge the liner. For me a good liner is one that doesnít budge in this test. Well, I cant really say that YSL liner passed this test, it didnít Ė it did smudge Ė not very very badly but I donít think it should have smudged at all. To compare, my MAC, Bobbi Brown and Sephora liners donít smudge at all when I have done the best on them! And to think they cost less, some significantly less than this! Arghhh!

I also applied the liner to my waterline (bottom lash line) and the wear was not good at all. Within 2 hours it had completely disappeared. Now I have to admit, I never find that gel or cream liners last that long on me on the waterline, but I have had much better wear than a measly 2 hours from some of them! MAC and Sephora in particular can stay on the waterline for around 4-6 hours before they begin fade away, although I find some shades of MAC fluidlines are different from each other regarding wear on the bottom lashes but never the top lashes. Wear is ALWAYS good on the top lashes. This liner claims to be waterproof, and although I didnít do any specific tests on this claim, the fact that it was gone from my waterline in under 2 hours doesnít make me confident that it is in fact waterproof!!

Is it 24 hours, as it claims to be? One night I went to bed with my liner still on (and my other make-up, naughty naughty) in an attempt to see what it would be like by the morning, and test the claim that its 24 hour wear. Again, comparing to the other brands I had tried I was hopeful of good results. Well, not so Ė I woke up to find eye shadow and mascara in place (eye shadow was MAC and mascara was YSL Faux Cils Shocking) but the liner had pretty much completely disappeared!! There was about 10% left of it and this came as a shock, so in my opinion it isnít 24 hour wear, but then when would we really want to wear make up for 24 hours???!! Lol!

Even on a normal day, when I took it off in the evening, I found it had faded a little bit, but I have to admit it didnít flake or crease (I donít know how much of this was due to my primer being excellent), I didnít have enough confidence in it to see how it would hold up without my primer, I was imagining it to be a messÖ..

The packaging is quite nice, its in a small glass pot (helpful in preventing it go dry) and it has a sleek and classy gold lid with your typical YSL branding on it.

Conclusion: So, overall, yes its lovely and creamy and smooth to apply but the problems with it taking time to dry, smudging and not being vibrant and lovely for all that long are all issues for me and it means I will not be buying this again. If you see shades that you love at the counter, get the Sales Assistant to apply it on you so you can see the colour on your eyes and see how it wears, as you may find its not worth your £20. For the record my experience with both shades were pretty much the same. I will be sticking to my MAC, Bobbi Brown and Sephora liners and giving these a wide berth, despite how pretty they in the pot.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

I don't know how to put it other than: These liners are AMAZING!!! I purchased my first one in Cherry Black and within a week I had gone back to get 3 more colors. I have a love hate relationship with eyeliner...I love the way it looks and defines my eyes, but I have super sensitive and watery eyes that will almost always win the fight with eyeliner leaving me looking like a badly made-made up crying raccoon! However, these gems from YSL are as tenacious as it gets but they don't irritate my eyes at all. My eyes tend to be watery anyway, and these puppies withstand my faucet eyes, workout sweats, humidity, everything!! They are super easy to apply, great for tightlining, and aesthetically gorgeous. I use the Sephora pro gel liner brush or Laura Mercier's flat top push liner brush and they glide on like a dream (and I suck at applying potted liner!). My mom has commented on my eye makeup every time she sees me and I happen to be wearing one if these liners (and she's my toughest critic so that's pretty huge!). They dont flake, budge, feather, migrate, transfer or run. The texture is smooth and creamy, and just a dip in the pot gets me an adequate amount for once across the lid. They can also be built up easily without the color sliding all around (to fill in mistakes, thicken the line etc... these babies are opaque and pigmented!) Once they've set, they're bulletproof, so a seperate eye makeup remover is necessary, or if you use a cleansing oil like me, it does a great job at removal as well. The price may seem steep but they're worth the money, trust me!! The opacity and quality of this liner makes the amount in the pot enough to last forever and ever...I haven't had problems with drying out yet, so hopefully it stays that way. Just remover to screw the lid on super right every time and store them as recommended. These are truly splurge-worthy and are my HG! I have them in Deep black which is exactly what the name implies, Cherry-black which is more of a deep blackened purple, sea black which imo isn't black at all, it's a gorgeous dark blue (but not as deep as navy), jade black which is a beautiful deep green, and bronze black which is actually more of a khaki, but is gorgeous nonetheless!! These liners from YSL reawakened my love for eyeliner!

on 12/27/2013 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I have oily and hooded eyelids; most primers don't work other than Proof 10 (Etude) and to a lesser extent, NARS.
I bought Sea Black, a dark blue with a tiny hint of shimmer-enough to keep it from being flat-in December of 2011. I still have the same pot; I store it upside down in the original box. Some months it's a bit dryer but it is still creamy enough and will not flake.

I use a bent eyeliner brush and have plenty of time to refine a winged eye. It sets well and for me it lasts all day. This year I bought Ashy Black, which is black with a hint of gold shimmer. It is creamier, being newer, and glides on more readily. Both of these liners last me a 14-hour day. I get no lid staining or irritation either.

I use it on upper lid only. For people who tightline this would smudge as it's a cream and hence not water-soluble and won't "adhere" to the lid lining. A gel (BB, MAC) would be preferable.

on 8/21/2014 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

It's like applying colored silk to your eyelids. The staying power is terrific and they do not irritate my sensitive eyes. The lightweight case is easy on the eye and ready to travel with me wherever I go. I now have two colors--Cherry Black was my first, and since it still applies as if new after almost a year, I picked up Jade Black for days I want to up my game face and perhaps add some Mrs. Robinson allure. This makes the ritual of applying eyeliner an almost sensual experience (when I have time!) They got this one right. Highly recommend.

Okay, so I bought the Black color. Honestly, I do not know how "safe" it is to use a cream liner in my waterline but I was fed up okay?! I have spent hundreds of dollars trying out ALL the eyeliners from all the brands and NOTHING works! Absolutely nothing! So when I read some reviews online about people using this on their waterline, I thought I must absolutely try it out. And surprise surprise it works!! I am quite impressed! Thumbs up!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is an excellent cream eyeliner that I will continue to purchase.

I've been using this for years, and continue to come back to this. I have tried approximately 6 different high-end cream eyeliner, and this is by far the best. I use this on my waterline/lower lash line, and this DOES not budge. I have used this in Shanghai's incredibly humid, wet summers, and this has not moved or smudged. Unlike other cream eyeliners that I use on my lower lash line, I can connect this to my Stila liquid eyeliner on my upper lash line, and the connecting line does not smudge. (NARS Paint Pot, I am looking at you.) Additionally, I have not experienced any irritation and I do wear contacts.

The pot does not dry over time, and the color payoff is beautiful. I use cherry black, which works well on my green eyes. It's not too harsh for my fair skin and blonde hair, which is sometimes an issue with black-based liners. I do wish, however, that YSL would extend the color range. The price is fairly high for a cream eyeliner, but the longevity of the pot and lack of drying out compensates. This cream eyeliner lasts approximately six months or more with every day use. A tiny amount goes a long way when applied with a small, pointed eyeliner brush!

Keep up the good work, YSL!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

It is a great eyeliner. I bought the cherry black which is a dark black with purple tint and a hint of shimmer. The color goes on rich and lasts really long, like from 8a to 4p (I live in Hawai'i so its impressive in this humidity in addition to my oily lids).
It's important to have a good brush to apply it with and I noticed cleaning the brush after every other use makes it super easy to apply. If you let the brush build up with product, it can get clumpy and that results in some fall out and smudges on the cheeks and eyes. So make sure to clean your brush!
The packaging is very luxe and nice, I dropped it and thankfully it did not crack.
The amount of product will probably last over a few months or more, so that's a plus!
I just started experimenting with gel/cream liners and this has been really great for a beginner like me. I usually use Stila's liquid liner which I hold onto for the days I need a quick cat eye, but the cream liner lasts longer for me and is more versatile in terms of eyeliner thickness and style (especially if I want a little smudge).
Bottom line, its long lasting and rich in color; with a good clean brush it goes on super smooth.

on 12/28/2015 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to love this. I really did... but I did not. I'm not sure I understand the previous reviews as I found this eyeliner to be terrible when it comes to staying power. Coming from someone with DRY eyelids due to eczema, I almost never struggle when it comes to "priming" or "setting" any makeup that goes near my eyes! The YSL packaging is without a doubt gorgeous, but by the end of the day, I have subtle raccoon eyes. I bought this thinking it would be THE gel eyeliner (IT SHOULD BE FOR THE PRICE!), but it totally failed me. I have had this product for 6 months and it is currently drying out (I'm very good at storing my glass makeup pots, always upside down, away from heat, and close it immediately after use), so I don't believe some of these reviewers have had the liner long enough.Yes, it applied like a dream with the correct brush (I used a tiny angled brush), but when you come home and see $30 liner FADED and smudged everywhere it shouldn't be, it's a bit of a disappointment. Save your money. Look elsewhere!

on 12/13/2015 6:17:00 PM

HG eyeliner. The only liner that actually stays on my waterline and does not smudge. I use it for all lining purposes. It's also great for smokey looks. Just make sure you smudge it as soon as you apply it because once it dries, it does not move. That is of course until you remove it with an oil based make up remover.
I work in a spa so I'm constantly exposed to humidity and steam. By the end of my shift, my eye make up is still intact. It's amazing. Price is steep but so worth it. It also doesn't dry out like other liners do. Fresh application every time. Have yet to find a dupe!

on 5/4/2014 7:02:00 AM

I bought this colour in the cherry black, it is a dark black with a hint of purple. When applying the colour from afar after applying it just looks like a regular black gel colour. I really like this product as it stays without smudging, using a decent eye liner brush makes a big difference as build up can make it hard to actually apply the liner.
I would definitely get this again as it's proved to be the best gel liner i've tried so far.
Check out my other reviews on my blog =]
heelsssss.blogspot.com