Yves Saint Laurent Effet Faux Cils Cream Eyeliner

4.1

on 12/28/2015 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to love this. I really did... but I did not. I'm not sure I understand the previous reviews as I found this eyeliner to be terrible when it comes to staying power. Coming from someone with DRY eyelids due to eczema, I almost never struggle when it comes to "priming" or "setting" any makeup that goes near my eyes! The YSL packaging is without a doubt gorgeous, but by the end of the day, I have subtle raccoon eyes. I bought this thinking it would be THE gel eyeliner (IT SHOULD BE FOR THE PRICE!), but it totally failed me. I have had this product for 6 months and it is currently drying out (I'm very good at storing my glass makeup pots, always upside down, away from heat, and close it immediately after use), so I don't believe some of these reviewers have had the liner long enough.Yes, it applied like a dream with the correct brush (I used a tiny angled brush), but when you come home and see $30 liner FADED and smudged everywhere it shouldn't be, it's a bit of a disappointment. Save your money. Look elsewhere!

on 12/13/2015 6:17:00 PM

HG eyeliner. The only liner that actually stays on my waterline and does not smudge. I use it for all lining purposes. It's also great for smokey looks. Just make sure you smudge it as soon as you apply it because once it dries, it does not move. That is of course until you remove it with an oil based make up remover.
I work in a spa so I'm constantly exposed to humidity and steam. By the end of my shift, my eye make up is still intact. It's amazing. Price is steep but so worth it. It also doesn't dry out like other liners do. Fresh application every time. Have yet to find a dupe!

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/21/2014 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

It's like applying colored silk to your eyelids. The staying power is terrific and they do not irritate my sensitive eyes. The lightweight case is easy on the eye and ready to travel with me wherever I go. I now have two colors--Cherry Black was my first, and since it still applies as if new after almost a year, I picked up Jade Black for days I want to up my game face and perhaps add some Mrs. Robinson allure. This makes the ritual of applying eyeliner an almost sensual experience (when I have time!) They got this one right. Highly recommend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is an excellent cream eyeliner that I will continue to purchase.

I've been using this for years, and continue to come back to this. I have tried approximately 6 different high-end cream eyeliner, and this is by far the best. I use this on my waterline/lower lash line, and this DOES not budge. I have used this in Shanghai's incredibly humid, wet summers, and this has not moved or smudged. Unlike other cream eyeliners that I use on my lower lash line, I can connect this to my Stila liquid eyeliner on my upper lash line, and the connecting line does not smudge. (NARS Paint Pot, I am looking at you.) Additionally, I have not experienced any irritation and I do wear contacts.

The pot does not dry over time, and the color payoff is beautiful. I use cherry black, which works well on my green eyes. It's not too harsh for my fair skin and blonde hair, which is sometimes an issue with black-based liners. I do wish, however, that YSL would extend the color range. The price is fairly high for a cream eyeliner, but the longevity of the pot and lack of drying out compensates. This cream eyeliner lasts approximately six months or more with every day use. A tiny amount goes a long way when applied with a small, pointed eyeliner brush!

Keep up the good work, YSL!

on 5/4/2014 7:02:00 AM

I bought this colour in the cherry black, it is a dark black with a hint of purple. When applying the colour from afar after applying it just looks like a regular black gel colour. I really like this product as it stays without smudging, using a decent eye liner brush makes a big difference as build up can make it hard to actually apply the liner.
I would definitely get this again as it's proved to be the best gel liner i've tried so far.
Check out my other reviews on my blog =]
heelsssss.blogspot.com

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

It is a great eyeliner. I bought the cherry black which is a dark black with purple tint and a hint of shimmer. The color goes on rich and lasts really long, like from 8a to 4p (I live in Hawai'i so its impressive in this humidity in addition to my oily lids).
It's important to have a good brush to apply it with and I noticed cleaning the brush after every other use makes it super easy to apply. If you let the brush build up with product, it can get clumpy and that results in some fall out and smudges on the cheeks and eyes. So make sure to clean your brush!
The packaging is very luxe and nice, I dropped it and thankfully it did not crack.
The amount of product will probably last over a few months or more, so that's a plus!
I just started experimenting with gel/cream liners and this has been really great for a beginner like me. I usually use Stila's liquid liner which I hold onto for the days I need a quick cat eye, but the cream liner lasts longer for me and is more versatile in terms of eyeliner thickness and style (especially if I want a little smudge).
Bottom line, its long lasting and rich in color; with a good clean brush it goes on super smooth.

Okay, so I bought the Black color. Honestly, I do not know how "safe" it is to use a cream liner in my waterline but I was fed up okay?! I have spent hundreds of dollars trying out ALL the eyeliners from all the brands and NOTHING works! Absolutely nothing! So when I read some reviews online about people using this on their waterline, I thought I must absolutely try it out. And surprise surprise it works!! I am quite impressed! Thumbs up!!

on 12/27/2013 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I have oily and hooded eyelids; most primers don't work other than Proof 10 (Etude) and to a lesser extent, NARS.
I bought Sea Black, a dark blue with a tiny hint of shimmer-enough to keep it from being flat-in December of 2011. I still have the same pot; I store it upside down in the original box. Some months it's a bit dryer but it is still creamy enough and will not flake.

I use a bent eyeliner brush and have plenty of time to refine a winged eye. It sets well and for me it lasts all day. This year I bought Ashy Black, which is black with a hint of gold shimmer. It is creamier, being newer, and glides on more readily. Both of these liners last me a 14-hour day. I get no lid staining or irritation either.

I use it on upper lid only. For people who tightline this would smudge as it's a cream and hence not water-soluble and won't "adhere" to the lid lining. A gel (BB, MAC) would be preferable.

on 9/21/2013 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

AMAZINGGGGGGGG

on 9/12/2013 7:57:00 PM

No different than any other eyeliner. Smudges and fades within 1 hour.