FairyDrops Scandal Queen Mascara

3.9

on 9/16/2016 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

BEST MASCARA EVER!
I use the waterproof version and I promise you it does not move one bit. I can rub my eyes and it will be still be intact. Even gone for a run with it on. Only problem with this is that you have to use a good eye makeup remover to get it off.
It holds a curl pretty well but I have stubbornly straight lashes so they start to fall throughout the day but this still holds them better than any other mascara I've tried.

on 11/9/2014 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I loved this mascara, but I don't know where to buy it now that Sephora no longer carries it. Understand that I am rarely satisfied with a mascara, but Scandel Queen is as close to perfect I've ever experienced. It is jet black, provides crazy curling volume that stays all day, lengthens, and comes off easily with soap and water. I believe the secret is the crazy three bump brush plus the formula that keeps lashes just stiff enough to hold curl. This stuff is amazing!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

i LOVE this mascara. I have pretty thin lashes that are naturally straight but are capable of holding a curl. since i have oily skin, smudging has always been a problem for me when it comes to mascara. i usually just deal with the smudging, though, just because i CAN'T stand waterproof mascara. i don't have enough lashes as it is, and i'm not a fan of having a bunch of them get pulled out when i'm trying to remove my mascara. fairydrops scandal queen comes off really easily with some warm water, but doesn't smudge at all. it also gives a lot of volume without looking clumpy, and it lengthens as well. it's my all time favorite mascara, but i can't call it my HG because of the price. i can't afford to spend $24 every time i need a new mascara, so i probably get a tube of fairydrops every other time i need a new mascara. other than the price though, i LOVE it.

on 3/19/2012 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I love Asian makeup, and I have been avidly anticipating the arrival of this Japanese mascara to Sephora. This mascara has rave reviews on Youtube, and boy does it deliver! It gives an astonishing amount of length to my short pathetic lashes, and it is true that this mascara will stay put until you wash it off. The packaging is absolutely to die for as well. The only complaint is, as you may expect, the hefty price tag.

I'm on my 4th tube of this mascara. I wish I could use other regular non-tubing mascaras for for some reason they all seem to smudge on me. I use this mascara over Clinique lash primer and often another mascara (Buxom, Smashbox Hyperlash, fresh, etc) and I always get long, curly lashes at the end. It seems like a lot of mascara in the end, but I apply the primer and first mascara with a very light hand.

Fairydrops helps me "set" my mascara and prevents smudging. My mascara stays on all day and in hot and humid weather or after swimming, instead of running down my face, the mascara simply flakes or comes off in tubes--way better and easier to clean off than raccoon eyes.

I have no problem with the brush at all. When the tube of mascara hits the 2-3 month mark it gets clumpy/too fibery and doesn't work as well, but that's about the time you're supposed to get a new tube anyway. I think I use the brush incorrectly...instead of applying the mascara by having the brush curve towards my lashes, I do it the other way. It works for me, and seems to be better than the "correct" way.

I have also used this alone and get good results but prefer to use it over primer and another mascara. Yes it adds up, but for my difficult lashes, I'm very happy to have found something that works well for me, even if it means doing a few extra steps and using a couple of extra products.

on 12/7/2018 5:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I really liked this mascara, but it was basically identical to Heroine Kiss's performance (one of my HG's, for the record) for a higher price ($18 USD).

This mascara has a typical Japanese formulation - fiber based, sebum-proof, and holds a curl like no tomorrow. That's my favorite type of mascara as I have normal length, low volume Asian eyelashes that refuse to hold a curl if the formula is not waterproof. It needs an oil based remover to be taken off properly.

I think the packaging is gorgeous. It's metallic pink with white outlines of roses. The wand is a little tricky to navigate but with some care anyone with my kind of eyelashes should be able to achieve curled, prominent lashes. As a caveat I always use an eyelash curler before application. I'm a one-coat kinda gal, and I don't think this is exactly the kind of mascara that would layer very nicely if I was being honest. Fiber mascaras don't work like that.

After three months this mascara will start flaking off. I wouldn't purchase again because I enjoy the hunt for different mascaras, but if someone gifted me this I would definitely use it again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This little Japanese beauty is pretty good at what it does. I mean, it's a mascara. It will lengthen and darken your lashes, but don't ask too much of it - no skyscraper lashes here. You know those nifty little bottom lash mascaras? I use this exclusively for my bottom lashes. It gives a subtle, spaced out effect on the top lashes but really excels in covering my bottom lashes and making me feel like a cute lil' lolita doll. That's probably because of the brush which I LOVE - must be a FairyDrops exclusive because I haven't seen such a unique brush in our Western brands. I think the Scandal Queen is only different to the original in that it gives thicker, blacker lashes? I favour big long LOOK AT ME lashes so while this isn't my favourite mascara overall, it's still worthwhile to have! Got this in an NYC Sephora and while I don't remember the exact price, I don't remember weeping as I handed my dollars over.. Good sign, I think.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I got this mascara when sephora was still carrying it. At first look, the packaging is definitely adorable. The gold with red accents makes it stand out and super easy to find in a makeup bag. The wand is curved with 3 lumps on the end. The lumps make it harder for the stopper to really take off the excess product on the wand when you pull it out. But I don't need to redip my brush in the tube for more product. The mascara itself it very nice. You can see the fibers in the formula; that stuff coats your lashes and gives you length and volume. Its a tubing mascara meaning the formula coats your lashes and creates a tube like structure on your lashes making them look the way they do, darker, longer, and more voluminous. It also means that it doesn't smudge or give you panda bear eyes. I've never had any issues with it smudging or flaking. Sometimes when I do minimal makeup, I forget I have mascara on and I'll rub my eyes and the mascara will still be intact and not smudged. It also means that it comes off easily with warm water in the shower just in case you forget to remove your mascara before you hop in. But do be gentle when you rub the mascara off the eyelashes or else your eyelashes might fall off with it. In the end, I really like the mascara even if its a bit more expensive than what I would like to spend on it. I've seen the other versions of this mascara at a japanese store I'm planning on trying those before I repurchase this. But I will definitely repurchase this if I do not find a better or cheaper mascara that I like. Sucks that sephora doesn't carry it anymore.

on 4/19/2013 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Summary: One of my favorite brands of mascara is Fairy Drops, so it's no surprise that when Fairy Drops released a mascara in the U.S. I would be buying it. The formula of this mascara is so different than the general formula they use on their Japanese mascaras. It's much heavier because it's aimed to appeal to a much different market (catering to those with different styles of lashes. Many East Asian lashes are short, sparse, and naturally angle downwards, so mascaras sold in countries like Japan, South Korea, etc. typically have dryer formulas in comparison to those sold in North America and Western Europe). At first I was disappointed because this difference in formula weighed down my lashes, giving an immediate loss of curl. But I quickly learned that this would simply not be a base mascara, and used it as a layering one instead. As a layering mascara, this gives the best volume I have ever used in any other mascara.

Pros: Amazing Volume

Cons: juvenile design (in my opinion of course), non synthetic brush so it eventually lost its shape

Overall Verdict: I recommend this product to anyone who wants lots and lots of volume. It's able to provide that benefit without clumping which is really great. I will definitely be repurchasing this.

on 11/30/2012 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought this mostly because of all the hype, and the fact that it's Japanese. I'm a sucker for any Asian thing I can get my hands on in Canada. The packaging might have had something to do with it too... Anyway, It's a good product, I suppose. Practically impossible to apply without making a mess, it really takes practice. And I find it clumps my lashes together a bit. And VERY expensive! Otherwise it is a decent product, though I won't repurchase.