FairyDrops Scandal Queen Mascara

FairyDrops Scandal Queen Mascara

3.5

on 4/18/2012 11:59:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Meh.....this is not a horrible mascara but it comes out a little clumpier than most and given the cost it's not fantastic. The brush is kind of cool and unique but it's nothing amazing.

on 11/9/2011 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this mascara in a sample size in the Sephora favorites mascara sampler. I was really excited given all the hype about how popular it is in Japan, plus I have the type of lashes they describe (long, straight, hard to hold a curl). However I was disappointed. If I didn't wipe the brush I got clumps of mascara and if I did wipe the brush I didn't get enough. I guess it would be a good mascara if you're looking for something that provides a very natural effect, but I was expecting more from this one and you could find drugstore brands that will give the same look. I will say it did a decent job of holding a curl, but that's not enough for me to consider buying the full size.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This is the first Japanese mascara I've ever used and it makes me want to try more. Why? Because it's truly waterproof. I live in an area where it's hot and humid most of the year and this stuff doesn't flake or smear. It's also very easy to remove at the end of the day. I will give it a lot of credit for staying power but it doesn't give my lashes the boost it needs. I have the typical short and thin Asian lashes and this just provides a bit of lengthening. It does nothing at all for volumizing. It helps hold a curl a bit but not much. I won't rebuy this especially not at the high price but I still recommend it for people who may already have long and thick lashes but just want something smear resistant.

on 10/12/2012 4:30:00 PM

I had high hopes for this mascara, due to the claim of being long wearing, smudge-proof, and voluminous. I like fiber mascaras for their lengthening properties. I did not think that this mascara held up to that claim.

The price is around $24 dollars or so, I have purchased at Sephora and also the FairyDrops Platinum version via eBay. The tube itself is fat and metallic. The brush is large and curved, with three "balls" attached to one another. They call it the "teddy bear" brush, although I see no resemblance to a cute teddy bear whatsoever. On first glance, its hard to envision how the strange fluff balls would coat lashes evenly.

It is technique sensitive, as you really have to try out different angles to have it coat individual lashes well. I've found that you are supposed to hold it where the brush looks like a "U" and brush through your lashes. It does thicken up over time, so the brush gets gloopy with product. Wiping it with a tissue is such a waste of product, so I usually had to wipe the side of the tube to salvage what I could.

The coverage itself is decent, and it does lengthen with a few coats, but for me it doesn't hold a curl well. It tends to straighten mine out. Also, I am wearing a mask and goggles all day at work, (your friendly dental hygienist) and this does give me black shadows under my eyes. I also use eye drops frequently and this does make it flake as well. I also had a problem with the fluff balls depositing mascara on my eyelid.

I like the idea that they are trying to be innovative with the brush, but the formula is not up to par with the claims. At least for me anyway. It might work better under "normal" circumstances- like gals who have long eyelashes that are naturally curled, and for those who do not have their faces covered up all day long. Lol.

Just to be sure, I have tried the US version, and the Asia version, and did not have that great of results. For the price, I don't think I will repurchase again.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I wanted to wait until I've used this mascara for at least a month before doing a review simply because I HATE it when the mascara performance goes down after only a few weeks.

Just a short background. Three months ago, I finally got my lash extensions removed after wearing them for a year. Sadly, I was left with short stumpy lashes. For the next four weeks, I babied my lashes, conditioning them, not wearing mascara or curling them at all. Finally, they were at a decent length and volume, though still shorter and thinner than my pre-lash extension days. At that point I decided to get a lash perm because using a lash curler would always pull my lashes. And this is where the Fairydrops mascara comes in...

I got it at Sephora because my sister strongly recommended it especially given my situation. And I'm so glad I got it because it gave me full, long and very dramatic lashes! I was so amazed. I can't really comment on how it holds a curl because of my lashes are permed but this mascara really gave me some serious length and volume.

I didn't get any clumps at all the first two weeks I got it but at the third week, it started to get just a little bit thicker and I do get small clumps. But nothing a lash comb can't handle. It's been five weeks now since I got the mascara and do far it's not drying out yet. My lashes have now gone back to its normal length and volume so when I wear this mascara now, it's even more dramatic. So dramatic that my husband actually asked me if I went back to lash extensions! (YAY!!!) Even my friend asked me the same when I saw her.

I bought this for $24 which is pretty expensive for a mascara. So I'm really hoping it doesn't dry out for quite a while. I apply it simply by doing a careful swipe twice. Sometimes I wiggle the wand if I want more volume. Removal is a little cumbersome. I use makeup remover then my oil cleanser to remove. If this tube doesn't dry out for a while, then I would definitely repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I also have Fairy Drops Scandal Queen mascara. The Sephora salespeople sold it to me as a more dramatic alternative to Blinc, which I've been using to avoid summertime raccoon eye. I am meh on the brush, but the formula gives me the effect I want: dark, dramatic eyelashes that wear all day with no smudge. It does dry very hard, so flakes can be a problem if you're an eye-toucher. Also, the formula is very thick and if you apply with a heavy hand There Will Be Clumps. I assume it's because of the fibers. I guess it's a fine line--too thick and it goes on clumpy, too smooth and it doesn't give enough volume.

on 11/25/2014 7:55:00 AM

I was upset when Sephora stopped carrying this product. I recently ordered from the Fairy Drop website, to my surprise, it came in the mail the next day! So happy to have my beloved mascara again. Seriously best mascara ever! I've tried them all and nothing compares.

I love this mascara. One coat looks just lovely and 3 makes me look sufficiently slutty for a night out. Also, my eyelashes are tiny-ish & this makes them purdy purdy purdy.