Argo Corn Starch

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/15/2016 12:13:00 AM

I came across this while browsing the site and while I've never tried this because I have dry skin, I thought some might be interested to know that they actually use cornstarch in makeup primers. Two off the top of my head are the Skindinavia Primer Spray and the NYX Primer Spray. I'm sure there are more but these are two that I've just lately come across. (I read ingredients on everything.) Just a little fyi :)

on 12/30/2015 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Amazing, although I think the poster should change the title to just "corn starch" because I almost didn't click cause I thought it was a specialty brand or something! Lol. I've used both corn starch and my Marcelle translucent powder and they work just as well for oil control and staying power. Not to mention if you buff it in it blurs your pores a bit! I was using Nivea men's post shave balm as a primer and it's incredible as a primer but I'm scared the ingredients are going to make me break out.

on 2/16/2015 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I read the two cornstarch reviews and was very skeptical. My face is extremely oily and the thought of cornstarch versus my oil slick was laughable--that is until I tried it. I did a patch test: I used my typical bareMinerals Prime Time on half of my face and cornstarch on the other half and then did my makeup routine as usual. I just used a powder brush and buffed some on. After 11 hours of wear the cornstarch held up better with no oil seeping through and no touch-ups needed during the day! It held up better than the Prime Time. It even works well as a finishing powder. Since it's white, I add a little bronzer to it which enhances the white-ness and adds a bit of color. Again, I didn't need to touch up my makeup when I used cornstarch as a finishing powder. Let's do the math: (based on Ulta prices as of 2/16/15) bareMinerals Prime Time-$24.00 plus bareMinerals Mineral Veil-$21.00 (look at the first ingredient, CORNSTARCH) equals $45.00. Box of Cornstarch 16 oz.-$1.50 (based on Amazon price as of 2/16/15). Savings equals $43.50! Think of the markup for what you're actually getting! Thank you ladies for opening my eyes to cornstarch!

I can't say I've tried 1,000 different primers, because I just started wearing foundation regularly a couple of months ago. However, I did try MAC's Prep + Prime with high hopes, and was *sorely* disappointed. I don't even have oily skin, but that stuff made my nose and chin a veritable grease pit after a matter of only an hour or two.

While looking at reviews for different primers to try, I stubled upon the previous review for corn starch. I thought, "WTH, I have it sitting in my pantry, why not give it a trial run before shelling out more $ for another primer?"

Unless something drastically changes, I can't see myself shelling out money for another foundation primer again. After trying it out for three days, I am nothing less than thoroughly impressed. After twelve hours of wear today, my makeup still looked perfect at the end of the day. Just a very light dusting after moisturizer and before foundation. That's it. No need for me to blot or touch anything up in the middle of the day.

I only hope that as the winter sets in and my skin gets drier this isn't too drying, but I don't anticipate that it will be. I don't really do much in the way of DIY kitchen beauty stuff except for using coconut oil as eye makeup remover and using cocounut oil + corn starch + tea tree oil for deoderant, but this makes expensive primer absolutely, unequiviocally obsolete.

on 9/24/2011 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been battling super oily skin through almost eight presidential administrations. Nothing has ever worked to control my skin or keep my foundation from a meltdown, regardless of the formula. The upside of this is now that I am on the brink of 50 my skin is relatively line free. The downside has always been the blocked pores, the running makeup, the constant blotting and powdering. After spending countless hard earned dollars on different primers, spray fixers, etc., I recently decided to go old school and figure out what the best oil absorbing natural powders are. It didn't take long at all to learn about the wonder of corn starch. Just the tiniest amount buffed into my skin with a fiber optic brush after my sunscreen (Clinque City Block) and before my foundation (Joe Blasco Ultra) has done what nothing else has been able to do. Even after an hour and half walk today, all I needed to do was a light blotting and my makeup looked perfect. This is, without a doubt, the best solution to my problem. I recommend going to the kitchen, dumping a bit into a powder jar, and have at it. Remember you only need a small, small amount. Buff in completely to avoid any ghost like after effect. Apply foundation and powder as usual. Your makeup will last ages longer and your pores will look smaller as a bonus. As an important note, some people do experience an itchy reaction to corn starch, so go slow and don't decide to try it the first time before a big event. This also works great as an eye primer, dusted on the lid before your shadow. There are organic corn starches available as well, for those of who hold that in esteem. Finally about 1/4 of a teaspoon added to your normal face wash will greatly increase it's oil cutting/absorbing properties. I wish I had known about this years ago, but and very happy to have figured out at last. Good luck, and I would love to know how it works for you.