L'Oreal Owl's Night

Owl's Night

4.3

on 1/26/2012 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

This was a limited edition shade from Project Runway. I had no trouble finding it in my area of the town in a Rite Aid. The color is very forgiving whats why I have rated it a 5, its wears well, soft gold black - not a stark black goth, and since its is shimmery the mistakes are easier to cover. I really love this color. Very different and interesting! I do have to share that it looks almost dark brown in pictures, because the gold mixes too much with the black but I really like it since its a basic boring black.

I honestly don't think the color is all that incredible or special once it's on the nail (looks awfully nice in the bottle though!) but I am writing this review as a response to all the tip wear comments.

YMMV but I get better wear out of this polish than any other I have tried (although my polish experience is admittedly slim). I tend to get MAJOR tip wear and chipping within 24 hours and two thin coats of Owl's Night with NO TOPCOAT (! what!) have held up with minimal tipwear at 48 hours here--so minimal you can only see it if you're closely examining my nails which. hopefully, only I am doing. I don't know if this is just a fluke and if it is I will come back and edit accordingly, but I am so excited about the wear time on this I will wear it even if the color isn't everything I hoped it'd be.

on 10/25/2011 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've always been a fan of L'Oreal polishes. Mostly I've liked them for their price and 2-coat-to-opaque formula. My biggest complaint with L'Oreal was that they generally only have classic (boring) colours like nudes, reds, corals, deep purples. Nothing too edgy or novel.

So I was very excited to find this unique dark olive-y, mossy, golden colour. First things first, the colour is obviously fabulous. If you bought it you were probably attracted to the colour. Price point is fine, I got it for $5 and I am ok with paying that for a drug-store polish (I know there's cheaper, but $5 is still middle-range for drug-store).

Now, the issues.
1) The Finish: I wish that, like my other L'Oreal polishes, this would dry to a glossy shiny finish. But it doesn't. I guess it's the micro-shimmer. It doesnt have that glossy shine I like in my polishes. However, this can be solved with a top coat.
2) Tip Wear: holy major tip wear! I can't even get through one day without tip wear. Admittedly, I hardly ever get through 3 days on other polishes, I am hard on my nails. But it's maddening that i can see tip wear after one day. Fortunately, the shimmer seems to hide some imperfections, so the wear is not too obvious.

I would still buy this again (if I can find it). It's a beautiful colour and none of your friends will have! (unless they get the same polish).

Popular Polishes