L'Oreal Owl's Night

Filtered by skin type : Combination
L'Oreal Owl's Night
Owl's Night

I honestly don't think the color is all that incredible or special once it's on the nail (looks awfully nice in the bottle though!) but I am writing this review as a response to all the tip wear comments.

YMMV but I get better wear out of this polish than any other I have tried (although my polish experience is admittedly slim). I tend to get MAJOR tip wear and chipping within 24 hours and two thin coats of Owl's Night with NO TOPCOAT (! what!) have held up with minimal tipwear at 48 hours here--so minimal you can only see it if you're closely examining my nails which. hopefully, only I am doing. I don't know if this is just a fluke and if it is I will come back and edit accordingly, but I am so excited about the wear time on this I will wear it even if the color isn't everything I hoped it'd be.

on 10/24/2011 9:42:00 AM

This was just 'meh' for me. I thought it looked prettier in the bottle than it does on the nails. Chipped in about 3 days.

I was really excited to try this polish. In the bottle, it looked like a grayish purple with gold shimmer. In reality, it's a brownish green with gold glitter. It's not too bad, I suppose. I don't really like the color because it isn't what I expected, and I think the gold bits are too glittery, too obvious. But I'm not compelled to run home and take it off right away either. When I applied the polish, it was a bit streaky, but it was opaque with two coats. I've been wearing it for a day, and already the tips are wearing a bit. It's an okay polish, but I probably wouldn't repurchase.

This a review for Owl's Night. It's a medium-dark olive green with gold microglitter, and it seems to have some micro black particles in there as well. It has that "camo green" look to it. I think it's a nice, edgy fall color, but I'm sure there are plenty of dupes for it (or maybe this is one a dupe?) ... I think it looks nicer in the bottle than on the nails, too; I'll probably use this more for layering with other polishes than alone. I paid about $5 for it, which is not bad. I change polish frequently, so I can't speak to its longevity. The brush is just ok ... I've used better and I've used worse.
EDITED 10/4: Not sure how it happened, but this is now one of my favorite fall colors .. if I had to pick just one color to use all fall and even winter, this could be it. It actually looks amazing on the nail, whereas I'd earlier said it looked better in the bottle. It's a fairly deep olive, but the microshimmer (I won't even use the word "microglitter because it's not like glitter at all) is perfect ... some gold, and I think even a little black or dark brown-ish microshimmer. Very edgy, with almost an industrial feel to it, but very sexy at the same time IMHO. Really, this could be the new black as far as I'm concerned. I can see this paired with just about any color (clothing) except maybe pastels. Never have done this, but I think I will be buying a back-up bottle of this.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This ish is bananas. It's a bit difficult to impress, color-wise, with nail polish these days. It seems like literally every color and has been beaten to death--not to mention in every finish. Shiny, glitter, matte, crackle...I thought I'd seen everything, but I find owl's night pretty freaking fresh. It's one of those weird colors that pictures and descriptions don't do justice, since there are several undertones and very fine particles of glitter. Not black, not brown, hints of moss and bronze, tiny specks of gold glitter (tiny! Not loud at all,) make up owl's night, which I foresee being my go-to polish for fall and winter. Buy it if you see it! It's so worth it.

on 9/24/2011 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Grabbed this one yesterday at Walgreens and so glad I did! I wanted an almost-black fall polish that was different from anything else in my stash. This fits the bill. I would describe it as a blackened brown with golden, sparkly shimmer. The opacity is pretty decent, I layered 1 coat over Nina Ultra Pro Mossy Britches and I find it picks up some of the olive green. I'm not usually one for brown or warm toned polishes, but this one looks good against my medium cool skin. I understand this is HTF but if you can find it, I would say to snatch it up! Nice for a L'oreal polish.

Popular Polishes