L'Oreal Owl's Night

Owl's Night

4.3

on 10/25/2011 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've always been a fan of L'Oreal polishes. Mostly I've liked them for their price and 2-coat-to-opaque formula. My biggest complaint with L'Oreal was that they generally only have classic (boring) colours like nudes, reds, corals, deep purples. Nothing too edgy or novel.

So I was very excited to find this unique dark olive-y, mossy, golden colour. First things first, the colour is obviously fabulous. If you bought it you were probably attracted to the colour. Price point is fine, I got it for $5 and I am ok with paying that for a drug-store polish (I know there's cheaper, but $5 is still middle-range for drug-store).

Now, the issues.
1) The Finish: I wish that, like my other L'Oreal polishes, this would dry to a glossy shiny finish. But it doesn't. I guess it's the micro-shimmer. It doesnt have that glossy shine I like in my polishes. However, this can be solved with a top coat.
2) Tip Wear: holy major tip wear! I can't even get through one day without tip wear. Admittedly, I hardly ever get through 3 days on other polishes, I am hard on my nails. But it's maddening that i can see tip wear after one day. Fortunately, the shimmer seems to hide some imperfections, so the wear is not too obvious.

I would still buy this again (if I can find it). It's a beautiful colour and none of your friends will have! (unless they get the same polish).

on 10/24/2011 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this is stunning! Very cool depth to the shimmer within the polish. Two coats of this with a topcoat of Nubar 2010 flakie polish turned out to be one of the prettiest autumn manicures I've ever done!

on 10/11/2011 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Gorgeous polish! I never buy back-ups of nail polish, but I bought 2 bottles on the spot at Ulta, knowing it was LE & having never seen a color quite like this before. Its a deep olive with fine gold shimmer. It reflects more brown in some lighting & more green in others. Its a deep, rich, fall shade that is surprisingly neutral. Unique & edgy but still sophisticated, I think. (I even like the name Owls Night; its a little haunting & mysterious). 2 coats are sufficient, but I added a third coat on the second day, and I think that really brings out the depth of this shade. Drying time is reasonable, about 5-10 minutes between coats, and I always top it off with a fast-drying top coat. I like the flat, wide brush, it allows me to coat the whole nail in a single swipe. The formula is a bit thick, but not problematic. The wear seems to be a little better than average, at least for me. Im on day 3 and only have slight tip wear. Overall, I couldnt be more satisfied with this, and its quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

on 10/6/2011 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I agree that Owl's Night is absolutely gorgeous and fairly unique (which says a lot since I have a stash of almost 1,000). It's a super dark blackened olive green with tiny gold flecks. Application was fairly good, this polish is opaque and gave great coverage. However ... that said, this chipped within a day using the same base/top coats that I use for every other polish. It's been a while since I've used L'Oreal (most of what I use is OPI, ChG, Chanel, Zoya, Nubar, etc) and I'm generally not a fan of drugstore polishes, and this definitely confirms why. The color is gorgeous, but it just lacks the wear time and quality of the better salon brands. But I give it props for the unique color. A great shade if you want something sultry and deep that isn't black.

Popular Polishes