L'Oreal Owl's Night

L'Oreal Owl's Night
Owl's Night

on 1/26/2012 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

This was a limited edition shade from Project Runway. I had no trouble finding it in my area of the town in a Rite Aid. The color is very forgiving whats why I have rated it a 5, its wears well, soft gold black - not a stark black goth, and since its is shimmery the mistakes are easier to cover. I really love this color. Very different and interesting! I do have to share that it looks almost dark brown in pictures, because the gold mixes too much with the black but I really like it since its a basic boring black.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I feel so lucky to have found this- the last one in the store, too. I polished with it tonight, and still can't get over how beautiful it is.
It's stunning. Gorgeous. Sexy. Unique. Opaque in two coats. Quick-drying. Good formula. My new favorite polish. Incredible.
I've never been so sad to hear the words "Limited Edition" in my life.
I will forever be on the hunt to find a stable dupe of this.

on 10/20/2011 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Super-beautiful! I've been looking for a shimmery brown that doesn't look like cockroach & this 1 one stood out @ me, it was the only 1 in left the display. Grabbed it w/o caring what the price was (which was $5).

The shimmer is a tarnished golden gilding that gives it a somewhat olive cast (like the picture above), very pretty & different. I was already wearing a burgundy shimmer manicure & I added a rich layer of this polish right over it, which looked immediately like the bottle color but as it dried down w/topcoat over it, it resulted in a very deep burnished cognac. Lovely effect.

So it's nice knowing this is a little sheer to layer w/other colors, but 2 coats for sure is entirely opaque & beautiful on its own. Glad I got it! I didn't think a brown like this existed. I rate nail polishes on color satisfaction above formula & durability, & this color definitely deserves a 5. Good thick formula (perhaps a tad goopy but stays where placed & doesn't easily flood the cuticle), good quality brush to cover plenty of nail surface, & the traditional L'Oreal square bottle packaging.

on 10/11/2011 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Gorgeous polish! I never buy back-ups of nail polish, but I bought 2 bottles on the spot at Ulta, knowing it was LE & having never seen a color quite like this before. Its a deep olive with fine gold shimmer. It reflects more brown in some lighting & more green in others. Its a deep, rich, fall shade that is surprisingly neutral. Unique & edgy but still sophisticated, I think. (I even like the name Owls Night; its a little haunting & mysterious). 2 coats are sufficient, but I added a third coat on the second day, and I think that really brings out the depth of this shade. Drying time is reasonable, about 5-10 minutes between coats, and I always top it off with a fast-drying top coat. I like the flat, wide brush, it allows me to coat the whole nail in a single swipe. The formula is a bit thick, but not problematic. The wear seems to be a little better than average, at least for me. Im on day 3 and only have slight tip wear. Overall, I couldnt be more satisfied with this, and its quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

This a review for Owl's Night. It's a medium-dark olive green with gold microglitter, and it seems to have some micro black particles in there as well. It has that "camo green" look to it. I think it's a nice, edgy fall color, but I'm sure there are plenty of dupes for it (or maybe this is one a dupe?) ... I think it looks nicer in the bottle than on the nails, too; I'll probably use this more for layering with other polishes than alone. I paid about $5 for it, which is not bad. I change polish frequently, so I can't speak to its longevity. The brush is just ok ... I've used better and I've used worse.
EDITED 10/4: Not sure how it happened, but this is now one of my favorite fall colors .. if I had to pick just one color to use all fall and even winter, this could be it. It actually looks amazing on the nail, whereas I'd earlier said it looked better in the bottle. It's a fairly deep olive, but the microshimmer (I won't even use the word "microglitter because it's not like glitter at all) is perfect ... some gold, and I think even a little black or dark brown-ish microshimmer. Very edgy, with almost an industrial feel to it, but very sexy at the same time IMHO. Really, this could be the new black as far as I'm concerned. I can see this paired with just about any color (clothing) except maybe pastels. Never have done this, but I think I will be buying a back-up bottle of this.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This ish is bananas. It's a bit difficult to impress, color-wise, with nail polish these days. It seems like literally every color and has been beaten to death--not to mention in every finish. Shiny, glitter, matte, crackle...I thought I'd seen everything, but I find owl's night pretty freaking fresh. It's one of those weird colors that pictures and descriptions don't do justice, since there are several undertones and very fine particles of glitter. Not black, not brown, hints of moss and bronze, tiny specks of gold glitter (tiny! Not loud at all,) make up owl's night, which I foresee being my go-to polish for fall and winter. Buy it if you see it! It's so worth it.

on 9/24/2011 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Grabbed this one yesterday at Walgreens and so glad I did! I wanted an almost-black fall polish that was different from anything else in my stash. This fits the bill. I would describe it as a blackened brown with golden, sparkly shimmer. The opacity is pretty decent, I layered 1 coat over Nina Ultra Pro Mossy Britches and I find it picks up some of the olive green. I'm not usually one for brown or warm toned polishes, but this one looks good against my medium cool skin. I understand this is HTF but if you can find it, I would say to snatch it up! Nice for a L'oreal polish.

on 1/23/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a wonderful deepened brown almost black polish with warm golden shimmer. It's the only L'Oreal polish I own, as I do prefer HE and Salon polishes. Great color, ok wear time. It's a cheap dupe of Julep's Candace in my opinion.

I honestly don't think the color is all that incredible or special once it's on the nail (looks awfully nice in the bottle though!) but I am writing this review as a response to all the tip wear comments.

YMMV but I get better wear out of this polish than any other I have tried (although my polish experience is admittedly slim). I tend to get MAJOR tip wear and chipping within 24 hours and two thin coats of Owl's Night with NO TOPCOAT (! what!) have held up with minimal tipwear at 48 hours here--so minimal you can only see it if you're closely examining my nails which. hopefully, only I am doing. I don't know if this is just a fluke and if it is I will come back and edit accordingly, but I am so excited about the wear time on this I will wear it even if the color isn't everything I hoped it'd be.

on 10/25/2011 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've always been a fan of L'Oreal polishes. Mostly I've liked them for their price and 2-coat-to-opaque formula. My biggest complaint with L'Oreal was that they generally only have classic (boring) colours like nudes, reds, corals, deep purples. Nothing too edgy or novel.

So I was very excited to find this unique dark olive-y, mossy, golden colour. First things first, the colour is obviously fabulous. If you bought it you were probably attracted to the colour. Price point is fine, I got it for $5 and I am ok with paying that for a drug-store polish (I know there's cheaper, but $5 is still middle-range for drug-store).

Now, the issues.
1) The Finish: I wish that, like my other L'Oreal polishes, this would dry to a glossy shiny finish. But it doesn't. I guess it's the micro-shimmer. It doesnt have that glossy shine I like in my polishes. However, this can be solved with a top coat.
2) Tip Wear: holy major tip wear! I can't even get through one day without tip wear. Admittedly, I hardly ever get through 3 days on other polishes, I am hard on my nails. But it's maddening that i can see tip wear after one day. Fortunately, the shimmer seems to hide some imperfections, so the wear is not too obvious.

I would still buy this again (if I can find it). It's a beautiful colour and none of your friends will have! (unless they get the same polish).

Popular Polishes