L'Oreal Owl's Night

Owl's Night

on 10/25/2011 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Ewwww. I did not like this. I'm really into dark, sultry colors and generally love metallics, but for some reason this color just looks odd on me. Not sure if it's my olive skin tone, or the tone of the polish itself but it just looked off and wasn't flattering. I returned it.

on 10/24/2011 9:42:00 AM

This was just 'meh' for me. I thought it looked prettier in the bottle than it does on the nails. Chipped in about 3 days.

I was really excited to try this polish. In the bottle, it looked like a grayish purple with gold shimmer. In reality, it's a brownish green with gold glitter. It's not too bad, I suppose. I don't really like the color because it isn't what I expected, and I think the gold bits are too glittery, too obvious. But I'm not compelled to run home and take it off right away either. When I applied the polish, it was a bit streaky, but it was opaque with two coats. I've been wearing it for a day, and already the tips are wearing a bit. It's an okay polish, but I probably wouldn't repurchase.

on 10/11/2011 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Stunning color.Lousy polish.Tip wear by the end of 1 day.Formula kind of hard to work with.Chunky/Streeky.Ok if you are willing to put up with that.I am not.

on 1/23/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a wonderful deepened brown almost black polish with warm golden shimmer. It's the only L'Oreal polish I own, as I do prefer HE and Salon polishes. Great color, ok wear time. It's a cheap dupe of Julep's Candace in my opinion.

I honestly don't think the color is all that incredible or special once it's on the nail (looks awfully nice in the bottle though!) but I am writing this review as a response to all the tip wear comments.

YMMV but I get better wear out of this polish than any other I have tried (although my polish experience is admittedly slim). I tend to get MAJOR tip wear and chipping within 24 hours and two thin coats of Owl's Night with NO TOPCOAT (! what!) have held up with minimal tipwear at 48 hours here--so minimal you can only see it if you're closely examining my nails which. hopefully, only I am doing. I don't know if this is just a fluke and if it is I will come back and edit accordingly, but I am so excited about the wear time on this I will wear it even if the color isn't everything I hoped it'd be.

on 10/25/2011 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've always been a fan of L'Oreal polishes. Mostly I've liked them for their price and 2-coat-to-opaque formula. My biggest complaint with L'Oreal was that they generally only have classic (boring) colours like nudes, reds, corals, deep purples. Nothing too edgy or novel.

So I was very excited to find this unique dark olive-y, mossy, golden colour. First things first, the colour is obviously fabulous. If you bought it you were probably attracted to the colour. Price point is fine, I got it for $5 and I am ok with paying that for a drug-store polish (I know there's cheaper, but $5 is still middle-range for drug-store).

Now, the issues.
1) The Finish: I wish that, like my other L'Oreal polishes, this would dry to a glossy shiny finish. But it doesn't. I guess it's the micro-shimmer. It doesnt have that glossy shine I like in my polishes. However, this can be solved with a top coat.
2) Tip Wear: holy major tip wear! I can't even get through one day without tip wear. Admittedly, I hardly ever get through 3 days on other polishes, I am hard on my nails. But it's maddening that i can see tip wear after one day. Fortunately, the shimmer seems to hide some imperfections, so the wear is not too obvious.

I would still buy this again (if I can find it). It's a beautiful colour and none of your friends will have! (unless they get the same polish).

on 10/24/2011 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this is stunning! Very cool depth to the shimmer within the polish. Two coats of this with a topcoat of Nubar 2010 flakie polish turned out to be one of the prettiest autumn manicures I've ever done!

I just got this polish tonight, but I am already in love. I will edit this post in a few days to state the staying power and all.

I love the blackish olive base color and the gold glitter reflects in it are perfect. I am going to repurchase a back up of this polish for the fall. Definitely a favorite.

I am not giving this any fives because I just purchased tonight, but as I said I will update.

on 10/6/2011 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I agree that Owl's Night is absolutely gorgeous and fairly unique (which says a lot since I have a stash of almost 1,000). It's a super dark blackened olive green with tiny gold flecks. Application was fairly good, this polish is opaque and gave great coverage. However ... that said, this chipped within a day using the same base/top coats that I use for every other polish. It's been a while since I've used L'Oreal (most of what I use is OPI, ChG, Chanel, Zoya, Nubar, etc) and I'm generally not a fan of drugstore polishes, and this definitely confirms why. The color is gorgeous, but it just lacks the wear time and quality of the better salon brands. But I give it props for the unique color. A great shade if you want something sultry and deep that isn't black.

Popular Polishes