MAC Legendary Black Pro Longwear

4.7

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

GET THIS BEFORE IT'S GONE!!!! This wonderful shadow - part of the original Pro Longwear eye shadow launch - is being discontinued and is now in the "Good byes" section of MAC's website. The original Pro Longwear shadows are absolutely excellent (not quite so some of the newer additions to the line) and this is no exception. Because these shadows were permanent, I figured there was no rush to get this but now that is no longer the case. If you like doing a smoky eye, this shadow is for you. It's more complex than a straight-out black and it's also very wearable in so many different ways in addition to a smoky eye. Iiangaf1 outlines a very nice alternative to the standard "contour/dark crease" effect most of us would think of first. And the beauty of this shadow is that because it's a bit more complex than a black shadow, you can use it in combination with a lot of different shadow colours - neutral or bright, matte or pearl - and always come out with a great eye look. There's a reason this has a 100% rating. Do yourself a favour and grab this - you won't regret it.
UPDATE - May, 2014....for some reason (good news!) this is no longer in the "good byes" section of the Canadian MAC site and has been put back into the regular lineup (along with Keep Your Cool and also Antique Green and a few other pigments that looked like they were slated to be discontinued). This is all good news. The original Pro Longwear shadows are simply first rate and deserve to be retained in the permanent line. I don't know why MAC purges some of their best stuff (like the Mega Metal and Starflash finishes, Moth Brown shadow, etc.).

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This color should be a staple in everybody's kit. It is a blackened olive with some gold shimmers. I am nw50/55 and this color looks amazing in the outer V paired with colors like woodwinked. Worth every penny!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This is an almost black with gorgeous goldish greenish flecks. My absolute favourite eyeshadow ever! I use this all over my lids for a smokey eye. It goes on very smooth and is easy to blend. The only thing I'm not too happy with is the fact even though it lasts a bit longer than most eyeshadows it still creases on me, although that being said my lids are super oily so will try it with primer and see if that makes a difference.

This eyeshadow is amazing. I was at a MAC counter, just wanting to try something different, and this is what the MAC MUA suggested. She paired this eyeshadow as a lid color (not a contour color - a nice change of pace!) with Wedge (a matte shadow) as the "contour" color to provide a nice smooth transition above the eyelid. It is one of my favorite looks, period. I think this eye - a little smokey, but daytime smokey - with a neutral cheek and lip - is my favorite look lately. The color is beautiful - it's more of a black with brownish tint to it, and a little sparkle (gold flecks). If you have a light hand, it's a greyish-black-brown, but you could definitely layer it on for a darker black color. I am not fond of raccoon eyes, so I've never layered it to get the color in the pan, so I'm not sure how hard this is to actually accomplish. I would definitely buy this shadow again (and also I love the wedge shade - it's a great neutral that's a a few shades darker than my skin - NC20). I would absolutely recommend it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

nice staple for fall for a trendy smoked eye without being harsh....nice warmed smoked taupe olive black...very 2011 fall runway trend!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

When I showed this eyeshadow to my co-worker, she said, "You already have several colors like that. In fact, you wore it yesterday." After sticking my tongue out at her, I vowed I would prove her wrong as soon as I got home and was able to swatch it against other shadows in my stash.

COLOR: MAC describes this as a warm black. In the pan it looks like a very, very blackened olive green with very subtle golden shimmer. Once applied to my skin, Legendary Black looked less green and more taupe. Once I swatched it against Guerlain's Nuit 182 (also described a as warm black), Legendary Black looked very purple taupe, and Nuit 182 looked very olive/brown. However, once I swatched Legendary Black against MAC's Furiously Fabulous (Leopard Luxe quad), which is a color MAC also described as being a warm black, Legendary Black looked more green, and Furiously Fabulous looked more purple. That's the best way I can describe it: more purple than Guerlain's Nuit 182, and more olive than MAC's Furiously Fabulous.

***UPDATE ON 10/27/11*** Christine from Temptalia compares this color one of shades from Wet-n-Wild's Comfort Zone palette (2nd green shade from the bottom). As an FYI, that color is most similar to Guerlain's Nuit 182.

TEXTURE: Despite looking shimmery in the pan, once Legendary Black is applied to the skin, it's not so much a shimmer as it is a soft metallic finish. Not buttery smooth, but not chalky or patchy either.

Top Rated Eye Shadow