Acne Free Therapeutic Sulfur Mask

4.3

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I really appreciate this mask and how it's helped me. I have LOTS OF MASK experience...I'm 41 now, and the journey began when i was about 13 with Queen Helene's mint julep mask. I entered into the acne phase of my life...aka the longest "phase" ever. I still break out, but now, I'd say it's my overzealous picking or inability to "accept" that i have the occasional pimple and clogged pores that just don't quit.

In any case, I've had sulfuric acne medication in the past, in the form of a topical face wash that was prescribed. It did definitely make my skin smell like burning matter, or yes, eggs past their prime. However, it's usually the type of therapy that you use before bed or while at home. I don't mind so much when i:
1. know that I will be home for the night or day, or am about to get sleep (when skin repairs)
2. have a huge zit that is making me sad. In that case, I would almost sell my soul. :D

So yeah, it's about $8 and I found it when i was visiting my mom in my hometown and ALAS - i had a nice little blemish or two and it was enough to make me go to Walgreens.

I just diligently spot-applied this to my face, anytime i was hanging with my mom at home and not planning to go out. I leave it on all the time, for a few hours, and it really helps dry out flaring acne, and helps reduce inflammation. It's awesome for helping to resolve a blemish, but I personally find that it's overkill as an "all over" face mask. I cannot imagine putting it on every square inch of my face, because i could just see it drying my skin too much.

texture: the texture is like a creamy clay mask but it has bits inside that i think are supposed to turn blue when the mask dries. This really is hilarious. They are like little specks of blue that will smear into blue tiny streaks if you just spread them out with your fingers. Jury's out on what the purpose of this is. Just rinse it off when it's dry, or let it stay on if you're like me and feel like it helps to spot treat overnight or for long time periods. This mask - IME - does not turn blue at any point on an overall basis. FYI!

packaging: the tube is 1.7 ounces and has a convenient flip top. I hate how it always - no matter how well i clean it off - cakes and crusts up so that there are little hard pieces that remain when you open it again, but that's the way this sort of mask is. I can't see it being different no matter how high quality the product is.

scent: nothing until it actually dries and then you can smell that sulfur smell. I would say if you are very sensitive, then maybe do not get this product. If you are somewhat okay with it, or if you think that the benefit of clearer skin is worth it, then go for this product.

Overall: i would give this 5 lipsticks because it's medicinally valuable for acne. It't not glamorous, pretty, or luxe, but it's definitely helpful to treat acne on the surface. It will not - just as any topical product would not- "cure" acne. It will help treat the pimples that arise, but it won't actually counteract the hormonal issues that are creating your acne in the first place. For $8, i find that a little goes as long way and it's a worthy investment.

I have tried so many masks at different price points: this is one of my favorites. I use it when my blackheads seem to flare up or I have a really bad pimple. It helps to soothe & reduce the GUNK.

To Read all 8 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Wow wow wow!! I had been using a prescription sulfur mask (plexion SCT) for years as it was the only product that kept my skin clear and less oily. However it was discontinued (along with its generic) and I never was able to find anything close...until now. I decided to try the Acne Free therapeutic sulfur mask after reading the reviews and once I used it I realized it was very similar to the prescription brand I used which cost over $150 a tube (with insurance!). I had experienced a bad break out before I used it and within 3 days my face started to clear up. Yes it doesn't smell good and you can smell it on your face after you wash it off but I'd rather have that than a face full of oily skin and pimples. I use a cleanser that doesn't contain any acne fighting ingredients before I use the mask as the mask will leave your face dry. I used it for 3 nights in a row as I was very broken out and it cleared up my skin. However once clear, I intend to use 2-3 times a week as instructed. This is definitely my miracle product!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Stinks like crazy and left my face still smelling like eggs for hours after; my boyfriend noticed and thought I hadn't brushed my teeth.

It seems worked okay, but my blemished could have just gone away on their own in that time, too. Nothing special, and it's a lot of money for that little tube.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've been on the hunt for an H.G. sulfur mask since C.O. Bigelow DC'd my favourite one years ago, so when I saw this at the drugstore and read all the reviews here I decided to give it a try. I'm not really sure what the deal was with this mask and my skin. The first 24-36 hours after using this mask my skin looked fantastic, but then I'd get almost cystic-type acne. I'm not really sure why since my skin loves sulfur and copper peptides, and I don't think it was just purging since my skin was quite clear thanks to Neutrogena Healthy Skin night cream (OTC retinoid) and Metazine Gel (niacinamide serum). Really given the lapse in time between use and break out makes me think the mask was breaking me out and not just purging. So needless to say I won't be repuchasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Very nice, I use this while in the shower - I'll wash my face, rinse, and then massage this on for a good 2-3 minutes and leave it on until I do my final rinse. My skin is left feeling impeccably clean, smooth and rosey. Will repurchase.

In my opinion, this is the BEST sulfur mask on the market at ANY price! I LOVE that it has copper in it as well, which is soooo good for inflamed, sensitive skin. I use this mask about once a week. Please note that you must follow the directions and dampen your face with water before you apply. Then, massage it in until the blue beads break and the mask turns blue. After it dries and I wash it off, I have seen significant improvement in reddness and any inflamed blemishes I have had right away. Sometimes, instead of water, I like to put some Isomers Copper P Concentrate serum on my face before I apply the mask. I feel like the extra copper really adds to the soothing properties of this treatment. I also love this as a spot treatment overnight (I squeeze out a small amount on the back of my hand and rub it to break the blue beads up and then, when it turns blue, I apply it to the spot) This is a WINNER! And so much less expensive than other sulfur treatments. The only downside is that I sometimes have a hard time finding it - not every CVS sells it. So I tend to stock up when I find it. OH! One tip! Usually there is a $1 off coupon in the box with the mask for "your next purchase". But I just open the box while I am in line and use the coupon for that mask. Saves me a buck everytime!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Without a doubt, I will buy this again (unless they change the way the product is made). It has done wonders for my skin. I've been using this 2-3 times a week as a mask (I say this because I have found using it as a spot treatment works to dry out any blemish that starts to surface). My whiteheads, blackheads, and pores have improved so much since using this product. I've only had this product for over a week and a half and all the junk on my face has been reduced by half!!! My skin looks so much different in a good way. It's starting to clear up day by day. I'm sure it has something to do with using the whole Acne Free system for Severe Acne but the mask is really doing it's part by tightening up my pores and getting rid of my whiteheads and blackheads.

Update: I absolutely love this stuff as a mask and spot treatment. Sulfur is the only thing that helps my acne and this tube last forever. I've had it for 3 months. You don't need to use much at all. A little goes a long way. Within 24 hours my acne noticeably shrink in size when I use this as an overnight spot treatment. This stuff is as good as Mario Bedescu drying cream (sulfur product) but it's half the price.

Popular Masks