Cartier Baiser Volé

Cartier Baiser Volé
Baiser Volé

3.7

I agree with the review just before mine, comparing Cartier Baiser Vole and Guerlain Lys Solea. However, for a true lily sent, try Cartier Baiser Vole Essence (a flanker). It is a gorgeous lily, practically a soliflore, and longer lasting. And if Serge Luten Un Lys is too expensive, try Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Bleue, now marketed as Fleurs d'Ombre Bleue, a reissue of a great perfume from the eighties. It is nearly identical to SL Un Lys, and much, much longer lasting. Much more affordable, too, but hard to get in stores in the US. eBay is your best bet for that. And I should add that SL Un Lys is the dupe, because Ombre Bleue is the older product. It is a beautiful lily and one of my favorite perfumes ever.

Top Notes: Lily, Citruses.

Heart Notes: Lily.

Base Notes: Lily, Green Notes.

I wanted to explore more white florals as of late, especially lily-centric white florals. I was keen to try Lutens Un Lys, but given Un Lys's $300 price point for a 75ml bell jar, I decided to begin my journey elsewhere, specifically with Cartier Baiser Volé and Guerlain Lys Soleia. This review is specifically for BV, but I do compare and contrast the two fragrances to point up how their differ from one another in the white floral genre.

On the whole, BV smells exactly like its notes pyramid. I detect more citruses in the top notes than I do lily, but the lily comes through more in the heart and the base notes where it becomes creamy and slightly sweet. BV is also quite fresh and green. It is the sort of fragrance that one could easily to one's office, school, church, a nice luncheon, a wedding, etc.. It could easily be worn day or night. My guess is that it wears better in the Spring and Summer, but I see no reason why it could not be worn year round.

BV is nice enough. I want to test it out of doors soon to see how it develops in the heat and humidity before I pass final judgment on it, but at the moment, it is not something I would ever repurchase unless subsequent wearings impress me more than the first two wearings. I absolutely love the bottle, though! It is difficult to describe, but the bottle feels rather heavy and quite posh in my hand, and the overall design has a fine aesthetic quality that I almost never find in other contemporary fragrances. It is difficult to spray, but I am not sure if that may be a flaw in the atomiser on my bottle or not.

I had roughly four hours longevity from it last evening. By that time it was fading pretty quickly, but my skin was quite cool. Perhaps I would have greater longevity if my skin had been warmer. Anyway, at that point I applied the LS over it. (The first time I have ever layered fragrances.) I do not know if the layering of the two was responsible or not, but I could still smell the LS this morning whence I awoke.

Whilst I like BV well enough, I am much more enamoured of LS, but this does not surprise me because Guerlain rarely disappoints me. Honestly, some may mistake BV for an air freshener whilst others may mistake LS for a B&BW body spray except that LS smells like a higher quality fragrance, better ingredients and better blended. The ylang-ylang in it is delicious--sweet but not at all cloying. It is so well blended that I cannot disentangle the ylang-ylang and the lily notes. It is as though they are two sides of the same coin. It is definitely a lovely fragrance for the Spring and Summer. It does not smell the same as Terracotta Voile dé Été, but it is in the same "style" if that makes sense. Both have a light sweetness and warmth about them and project mildly in wafts. I like the bottle, too.

It has now been twelve hours since I applied LS over BV, and I can still smell LS on my skin albeit faintly. I did not expect performance as good as this, so I am pleasantly surprised. My white floral lily-centric fragrance journey will not end with either BV or LS, but they have given me a great start. If you wish to explore lily-centric fragrances, and if enjoy fresh, green fragrances, ones that are crisp and cool as opposed to warm and sweetish, then BV is a good place to start. If you think you would enjoy a slightly more complex and sweeter fragrance, one that is warm and more sensual, then LS is a good place to start.

On the whole, BV rates a basic thumbs up for delivering what it promises to deliver. LS gets a more enthusiastic thumbs up for not only delivering what it promises to deliver but also for being beautifully blended, warm, and sensual. At the end of the day, both have a place in one's wardrobe if one wishes diversity in her lily-centric white floral fragrance section.

on 10/22/2015 9:48:00 PM

IMO the smell is fresh and unoffensive. I think it could easily be worn in a workplace without offending sensitive coworkers. I had a deluxe sample from ulta that I would wear the first minute or so the scent was very sharp and green which I don't care for then it softened up beautifully. however I have noticed about the 2 hour mark it had almost faded away on my skin although I could get slight hint still in fabric of clothing. Due to the price I am undecided if I would purchase because while I enjoy the scent it lacks longevity

on 2/27/2015 1:58:00 PM

This is a fragrance that I have a hard time describing. Kind of spicy, but not too much. Its very sophisticated and feminine. Very long lasting. Great for day or evening.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

EDT worked well on my skin. Not powdery at all. Lasting power is great! I could wear it at any season! Very pricey but worth it!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

at first spray it kind of has a "bug spray" smell to it, but let it settle a minute and it develops into lily and floral and green, and settling more, it gets much sweeter and slightly musky-rosewater. I don't get any of the powder notes on me. I love it. The EDP is MUCH better than EDT. The EDT did not get sweet on me and gave me a headache, and I was always in a bad mood when I wore the EDT.

on 11/30/2014 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

When I first sprayed this it seemed quite powdery and a little too mature woman for me. But as the hour wore on the powder toned down and it was more musky and sweet, I found myself sniffing it in whenever I could.. While I don't really think its very 'me', something about it is weirdly addictive. I would explain this smell as really... 'nice', in the best way. I've seen people explain this as a good office scent, which is true, it is pleasant and not provocative at all. It is clean, fresh and while I thought initially it was a little 2 dimensional, it continues to morph on me into something else, revealing another layer.. A little more.. hmmm i'm not sure, spicy? In a sweet way. Don't buy this if you want something sexy. But a nice every day scent I think could work for a lot of different ages. Get a tester first! Because I've read the lily can morph on some people and become quite unpleasant. The bottle is amazing and I almost want to buy it just to have that old school lighter bottle in my room. As for price, I think considering its cartier, the amazing bottle and a quality fragrance its pretty fair. Its nice, but just that. I'd buy this if I didnt have 10 other fragrances i'd rather have sitting above it on my list. Very pure and feminine, but with a little something else. Give it a try.

Oh I really like this one! It's very challenging to describe a scent, but it is almost slightly masculine and fresh smelling. I also love the packaging, it looks like an old school lighter. I'm not sure if I would buy another bottle if I ran out as I'm kind of tired of it by now, but I knew when I smelled a sample it was a "me" type scent (I like fresh or fruity smells) and ran out and bought it. It doesn't reek of alcohol, which some perfumes do and it makes me crazy and it lasts a bit. It's really not an overpowering scent, it's like skin plus a little better. I would recommend it.

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Cartier Baiser Vole is one of my favorite spring-summer fragrances. The scent smells fresh, floral and powdery. Baiser Vole will last all day when layered with the Baiser Vole body cream. The cost is average for a good perfume and the 1.6 oz bottle will normally last me 1 year plus.

I'm bad at describing perfumes, so I won't bother trying. My experience is based on a sprizter sample that came with a Sephora order, which I assume is the same formula as the stuff you'd buy in the bottle.

What can I say? It's... nice? Kinda floral & powdery, maybe edging a bit into old lady at the country club. You could probably wear it in the office, even if you work in banking or something?

There wasn't anything special about it for me, though, so I wouldn't buy it for myself. If I'm going to spend the money on a "name" perfume, I have to fall in love with it.

Popular Fragrances