Tarte Smooth Operator - Amazonian clay waterproof concealer

3.5

Squalane, polyethylene, kaolin, paraffin, cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, polyethylene/ dimethiconol copolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax/ candelilla cera/ cire de candelilla, water/ aqua/ eau, silica, lecithin, glycerin, cholesteryl/ behenyl/ octyldodecyl lauroyl glutamate, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, silica dimethyl silylate, sodium chondroitin sulfate, atelocollagen, butylene glycol, sodium hyaluronate, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, retinyl palmitate, tocopherol, tocopheryl acetate, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, phenoxyethanol, mica. (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), chromium oxide greens (CI 77288), chromium hydroxide green (CI 77289).

I bought this because I was frustrated with shape tape always being out of stock and I would be darned if I walked out of Ulta without a concealer that day. I liked the old Amazonian clay concealer (now discontinued, it came in a squeeze tube and was thick and tough to work with as heck but man it could cover) so I thought by default.....maybe I would like this. I could tell by the packaging---it feels like a flimsy little thing....--- that this was probably going to be a miss but I was desperate.

Let's start with the pros....
I like the colors. Very yellowy, good for my skin tone. I hate pink undertoned concealer.....we want to get rid of our redness not add to it.
I chose the shade light medium and it's perfect for me, wouldn't change a thing about it.

And now the cons!!
This is such a mediocre concealer. Reminds me of drugstore. In fact I think I have used a maybelline concealer I have liked better.
It's not full coverage. I can appreciate the less heavy, more moisturizing, concealers on the market, but cmon! I have spots of redness and I want it covered please! Why make a concealer if it doesn't cover well? I'm not using it to cake my face, I don't need it to be light and creamy.....that's what foundation is for. I think since a lot of us are using lighter concealers in our highlighting and contouring routine, companies are getting away from cakey concealers and that's fine but right now I feel like there's very few Holy grail worthy full coverage concealers on the market. Frustration!!
Not to add insult to injury and further add to my ire, but I'm not a fan of the packaging, it feels flimsy and the twist tube is hard to pull off sometimes.

I will not be buying this again. Not what I'm looking for.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This has been a terrible experience. it makes my pores look massive, looks all oily and creases like crazy, lasts about 2 seconds, does not blend well and just comes off so easily. like, i lightly graze my face and i look at my finger and it has all transferred... What a joke.
And the marketing for this is ridiculous, Amazonian Clay? Are we back in the good ol' times and fawning over the erotification of the tropical, exotic and sexy brown women of South America? Blerk. Puh-Lease...

To Read all 56 Reviews, Login or Join

first when i tried this i was impressed, (i bought an orange tone so it covers up my dark circles)
PROS:
- it covers everything
- i prefer concealers on stick so if you do this is a pro
- good packaging

CONS
-it´s expensive
- it creases like fu*k
- it´s a little bit thick

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This concealer was a good color for me, slightly orange so that it covered my bluish circles. I applied it as I usually would any concealer, making sure to blend it into my foundation so that the orange tint fit in seamlessly. I then applied my usual powder to set it in place. While i was doing my mascara, something strange must have happened, because when I next looked in the mirror, the concealer that I applied not five minutes before had totally creased! It filled every line under my eyes like it was cement. Not funny! I tried several potential remedies all to no avail. I had no choice but to remove my makeup, from my eyes on down, and start completely over. What a waste of time and money! This concealer is an epic FAIL! I don't know how anyone could possibly rate it higher than two lippies. It's going back to Ulta tomorrow. It has to be the WORST concealer I've ever used. I definitely do no recommend it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have very dry sensitive skin and found this to be one of the worst concealers I've ever used. The product contains a lot of wax and oils and melts off after a short while. No amount of primer or finishing powder could every make the concealer stay put for me. I also had a hard time with the colour-matching. I'm a MAC NC 20 and found the closest colour match was "Fair", which was still too light and a bit pink. I pitched out the concealer after giving it many tries. Won't be purchasing ever again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm very oily and acne ridden, and while this covered well, it wouldn't stay on my face! Even with primer and setting spray, this stuff slid and creased all over the place. REALLY disappointed after seeing so many great reviews.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Let me start by saying that I love tarte products. I just don't love this concealer. I'm NC20 and got the light shade. It was a shade too light to cover any imperfections on my face. The other colors, however, were either too pink or too dark. (Light Medium Honey, Light Medium Beige, Medium). Basically, none of the shades really matched me. On top of that, the concealer didn't last very long on my combination skin. I just think for $22, it should cover more and last longer. Probably works best to cover under eye circles and not blemishes. I returned this the next day.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really love this product. Not sure I can say it is HG status, but it is probably one of the best concealers, if not the best, I have ever tried. The reason I removed a star was because the most important claim to me is waterproof. I have very sensitive when I do my eye-makeup (liner, shadow, and mascara) my eyes get VERY watery, like I am crying... But only from one eye. This alone with every other concealer does not last through the "tears." It probably doesn't help that I have to constantly wipe that area after tears. This usually occurs only just after I apply makeup for about 30 minutes. Or and all day during allergy season. I do not believe when tarte made this concealer that is what they meant by waterproof. But to me it should last through that. However I still love it, the packaging, the formulation the way it looks on my skin, is just great! It is small which has 1 upside and 1 downside. Upside PERFECT to travel with. It fits in a tiny clutch, doesn't take much room when traveling and you don't want to bring a bunch of huge tubes or everything. Downside, goes down super fast! This stuff is so great it is now my go-to everyday concealer. This does hide bags fairly well, however the blue does peak through a little, as this is not a corrector it doesn't cancel out the product, which is why I recently ordered the tarte correct, so hopefully the duo will become my HG concealing and correcting duo! I do highly recommend this product, as I find it to be long lasting when I re-apply after all the "tears."

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I've been using this concealer in medium to hide hormonal breakouts and acne scarring, and it's the first I've used that doesn't make me break out more, nor dry out my skin. The coverage is close to full, and it is long-lasting and safe to wear on hot, humid days. It is pricey, but I don't mind spending more to support a quality brand and for a product that works; plus, I've been working on the same tube for months and I've barely made a dent.
As a note, I wouldn't recommend this for under eye use as the formula is a bit on the dry side.

Sadly, I had to return this. I use the Tarte clay foundation and blush and love them both. So this seemed like a natural compliment. I was so wrong. I broke out terribly wherever I applied it. And I knew it was from this because it was the only new product I introduced into my routine. I was breakout-free for almost two years until I tried the concealer. I was looking forward to this because I really like the packaging.