Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base

Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base

3.4

Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Isododecane, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Mica, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Sodium Chloride, Stearoyl Inulin, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethiconol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tin Oxide, Phenoxyethanol, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This stuff is pure magic for me. I don't have extremely oily eyelids however I have hooded eyes and therefore I find my eyeshadow is prone to creasing and transferring - especially shimmer or glittery lid shades. I also have quite pigmented lids, which this seemed to help cancel out. I tried this out for the first time yesterday and I love it so much already.
It blended really well onto the eyelid and I find I actually like the applicator for this. You don't need a whole lot, which is nice. Blending shadow over it is fairly easy, but i definitely needed to set the crease before applying a transition. I then applied the shimmer colour to my lid without setting the lid area first, which really held on the colour.
This primer lasted ALL. DAY. I visited the zoo yesterday for 5 hours, walking in 25-30 degree (Celsius) weather in direct sun almost the whole time. My lids never got oily, never creased and the colour on my lids didn't fade or transfer. I'm gonna keep trying it out for the next few weeks at work but for now, I'm totally sold.

on 4/25/2017 9:21:00 AM

I basically bought it because I didn't have any primer but I didn't want to spend a lot of money for that... Beginner issues!
This product makes my eyelids patchy and orange, although I think the shadows last a little longer than not using an eye-primer, so it's not useless.
Anyway, I won't repurchase again, probably trying Milani's one, or just go high end with the TF's Hangover. Don't waste your well earned money!!

on 4/25/2017 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

It isn't even 9am and my shadow is already creased. Yes, I have very oily lids, but shouldn't my eye shadow be crease-free longer than three hours? Obviously, this isn't working for me. I like the price....$4 at SDM. I like the dough-foot applicator though I did find the primer itself to be a bit thick. I dab it on my eyelid and then blend with my fingertip. It leaves my lid with a little bit of colour but it gets covered with a dusting of powder and shadow. Won't be repurchasing. Next .....

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a great, inexpensive eyeshadow primer. It's colored and darker than my skin. On it's own it gives me orange eyelids. But I always put eyeshadow on top and the orange is covered up. It's fairly liquid so the doe foot applicator is nice. I swipe it on my eyelid and blend with a finger. I dock a lippie because this does not hold up as well as some other primers. It does well for most shadows but some it creases with (like my Chanel eyeshadow). Also, you get a very small amount. It's still far cheaper than something like Too Faced shadow insurance, but the price is much closer than you'd think if you pay attention to price per ounce. Essence contains 0.13 fl oz/4 ml. My Urban Decay Primer Potion has .37 fl oz/11 ml (mine must be old. Online urban decay has 0.33 fl oz). That makes Essence $26.9/ounce and Urban Decay (at .33 fl oz) $60/ounce. I can often find Urban Decay on sale for $10, which makes it only $30/ounce. And that holds up with anything. I still think, for my very oily lids, Too Faced is my favorite but This is quite good and so cheap.
Edit: 4/5/2017 so this stuff gave me a bunch of milia on my browbone. Lol. Going the the garbage.

on 3/5/2017 11:49:00 AM

For the price, I cannot complain about this product. In terms of longevity I cannot really provide an insight because I am the type of person who takes off their makeup as soon at they get home, but the base it provides for eyeshadow application is phenomenal. The product blends into a manageable but not dry finish which is excellent for my dry skin and the colour creates a lovely blank canvas to see the true colour of eyeshadows and liners. Unless another brand releases a truly groundbreaking product then I cannot see myself purchasing another eyeshadow base anytime soon.

Total bomb for me. Love most Essence products , but this does nothing for the longevity of my shadows. It creases horribly and is a weird, darker color. Definitely not repurchasing.

on 1/20/2017 11:31:00 AM

For about $3 this shadow primer outperforms any highend eyeshadow primer I have used, and I have very oily lids. Ulta always has Essence products buy one get one 1/2 off, and a lot of their products are underrated. They make great single eye shadows, brow gel, lip liners, and some great blushes, that I enjoy as much as many of my high end products.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the price point of Essence cosmetics however find them hit or miss. This eyeshadow primer falls in the miss category for me. It is too drying on my mature skin and dries into a patchy weirdness on my lids. I think if you have extremely oily lids this might be a good option to try out. I am used to squeeze tube packaging for this type of product so the doe foot applicator was not as easy for me to get used to. It's been my experience that you really need the tiniest amount to get the job done. Shade is neutral and provide a nice even base to apply shadow on. All in all, I think this is a good product, it just didn't perform well on my skin. For a couple bucks this is definitely worth giving it a shot.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really wanted to like this primer, and tried to apply it in all different ways, sadly, it is just useless. First I tried it when it was still hot, and was willing to cut it some slack because this primer is inexpensive, but when my eyeshadow creased in the middle of a nice cool and slow day, I realized it will never work. I'm surprised to see all the good reviews for this primer, I honestly don't know how people make it work. My eyelids aren't oily, I don't workout in makeup, and the creasing with this primer is ridiculous. If you need a cheap decent primer, just buy elf, yeah, the packaging is not as nice, but at least it makes eyeshadows last all day...
Will not repurchase.

on 10/1/2016 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is actually a pretty decent eye primer for the price. Its a little more fluid and doesn't accentuate dryness as much as other tinted eye primers. It colour corrects extremely well, and provides a lightly tacky base. The only downfall is that it may crease, it's longevity isn't as superb as other mid end options, but overall this is a wonderful priming option for normal-dry skins or those who struggle with dryness when using tinted eyeshadow primers.

Video Reviews & Tutorials