Essence Lip Liner

Essence Lip Liner
Lip LinerLip LinerLip Liner

4.4

on 1/22/2017 6:42:00 AM

I see there a lot of complaints about the new formula, and I`ve never tried it so I cannot compare, but I rather like these lip liners. I own Satin Mauve, Femme Fatale, Red Blush and Cute Pink. They`re dirt cheap, creamier than other drugstore products I`ve experimented with, and do a damn good job of lining. My lips are finicky and dry and prone to flaking, but I`m not afraid to wear these on their own with a helping of balm or gloss. I would definitely repurchase.

on 1/16/2017 10:55:00 PM

i have a lot of them and i love them!!!

on 1/6/2017 5:57:00 AM

Formula has changed. They are now dry and difficult to apply. Sad.

After the recent formula change I don't think I'm going to purchase another color.
I've had this pencil in the shade "Wish me a rose", (purchased about a year ago). Two weeks ago I accidentally purchased the same shade. The packaging is different- the cap is not silver anymore but same as the liner itself. It's a completely different product! New one is darker and brighter. It's not as creamy- it's hard and actually tugs my lips, I can't wear it on its own (unlike previous one) because it accentuates every fine line on my lips.
I tried to google the ingredients and compare both and from what I've noticed it seems the formula has indeed changed! Why change something if it's not broken?

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I had the poor judgement to purchase Cute Pink. Worst lipliner I've ever used! It was impossibly dry, ridiculously hard, had very little pigment and skipped even on my very moisturized lips. Even warming it up between my finger tips didn't help this. Utter garbage. I guess this is an example of "you get what you pay for". I'll stick to Jordana, Rimmel, Nyx and MAC.

I have this in a purple-red color. I didn't know a lip liner could be patchy... but this leaves streaks of different opacities across my lips, which are visible beneath any lipstick that's sheer in the slightest. Perhaps a lighter shade would be less noticeable. The price is wonderful, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Really like the Cute Pink shade; the colour payoff is great and the texture is creamy...this is abit drying on its own; however a little lip balm takes care of all that. I am pleasantly surprised that this lipliner worked better than expected due to the very low price- point...Actually like this MUCH better than Revlon' s Pink/Rose lipliner ( colour is gorgeous but the texture is bad and the colour fades within minutes)...Happy with Essence...Just wish MAC would have more warm pink lipliners...All in all, Essence lipliners are pretty good considering the price...Will repurchase.

on 10/14/2016 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this in four colors--In the nude, Cute Pink, Satin Mauve, and Femme Fatale.

Love, love, love the formula. It's super creamy and easy to apply just store it in a cool place because the lead can melt pretty easily.

I wish they had more brown and dark shades though :/

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have this in two shades, "In the Nude" and "Satin Mauve". Almost picked up "Wish Me A Rose," but wanted to see how the first (2) performed. These are a little dry, okay, a lot dry. But the color payoff, pigmentation and performance is excellent.

And even though these are quite dry (and can dry the lips, especially if you are an older gal like me, at 45 years of age), these apply smoothly and evenly. For the price point and everything else I almost gave these a full 5-lippie rating. But these are drying and tug when applying, so not the most comfortable liners. But for the inexpensive price point (currently $1.99USD), I am okay to use these on occasion. Just would not make these "Holy Grail" nor would I use these often/everyday. Too drying.

But the colors are very flattering. I often find lip liners (be it drugstore, mid range, or even high end ones) often for whatever reason, the shades often look garish on me (a few exceptions, I usually have luck with Urban Decay lip liners), other lip liners make me look like 'clown lips'. These (2) shades that I have are very natural on me, but I DO have to follow up with a creamy or moisturizing type of lip product or a gloss. There is no way I can wear these on my own. A similar drugstore lip liner that I have luck with is Rimmel. I can wear Rimmel lip liners on their own, but not these. just too drying and uncomfortable. But again, the colors are great, they do apply smoothly and easily and evenly. I find that I just have to use these with another lip product or my lips look like parched and look and feel uncomfortable. One thing I do sometimes is instead of applying these first to my lips, I sometimes apply the lipstick first and then top the lipstick with this lip liner. Just depends on the shade and what lip product I am using this with. Almost 5 stars/5 lippies, but the dryness aspect for me is too much. I realize that can be the nature of the beast with this type of lip liner (one that needs sharpening), but the dryness just seems really extreme (for me) with these. BUT..I do like the shades enough to use them on occasion. And for taking on vacation and not worry about them getting lost, that sort of thing, I will keep these. I may even go back and pick up "Wish Me A Rose". It looks to be a good one to pair with Mac Creme Cup and barbie type pink lippies.

I do not want to deter anybody from these because of the dryness, because these really are very nice lip liners otherwise. For the price, you can't beat them!! But, again, if I "had" to go the drugstore route with lip liners and have one not drying, I would go with Rimmel or even L'oreal and steer clear of these. Just too drying for me. A really good, reliable lip liner, but not perfect.

on 8/2/2016 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Finally got a red lip liner for matching all my red lipsticks! I heard Essence's liners were nice and did the job, but I couldn't find the basic version, so I went for the long lasting one (the cap is in the same colour of the body). Well what can I say: it works fine, it lasts a long time, it is soft and so cheap it's unbelievable (got mine for under 2 euros). You can stack all the colours to match what you need without worrying about the price. The only con, if I can call it a con, is that the plastic packaging seems so fragile I'm so worried to carry it with me. The cap cracked the first time I put it in my bag!

Popular Lip Liners