Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Violet Frenzy

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Violet Frenzy

on 10/25/2015 7:07:00 AM

Violet Frenzy is ok...just ok. As a purple connoisseur, this wasn't mind blowing. It is a great purple option for those afraid of going too deep. But honestly, there just wasn't much pay off in quality of color, depth / pigmentation of color. I would never call this color vampy because it is so tame. This is no where near a dupe for MAC Rebel or MAC Heroine. Both of those shades are much richer, lusher, deeper...just more impactful. Even as far as sheer purples go, I enjoy my Sephora Rouge Shine one better (I think the name is Heartbreaker). Revlon Shameless is a bolder purple option too...but that is more like Heroine in that it is P U R P L E! FYI - There is a NYX color called Violet (something...might be Frenzy too) that looks nice and a bit stronger in their regular lipstick collection.

However, if you have tried Revlon's plum shades and wished they had touch more purple in them...this might be of interest. Also, if you are intrigued by purples but want a soft, very light way to play with them, this is a good option. Now, on my nw20 deep winter complexion, this is just "eh" to me. I much prefer the other purples listed above. Or from Revlon I prefer Iced Amethyst, Icy Violet, Berry Haute, Shameless...Black Cherry if you want vamp. Va Va Violet is dark and vampy but it is also really patchy so be careful. All of this said, these lipsticks are about $5 at Target - no harm no foul.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Impulse buys can turn out either very well or very, very badly.
This was one of those bad ones, unfortunately.
I'm very big on dark, pigmented lipsticks, so if you're looking for something like that, this is not the purple lipstick for you. When I saw Violet Frenzy in the store, I thought it would be a great dupe for MAC's limited edition Pure Heroine lipstick (part of the Lorde collection last year) because the colour in the tube was very, very similar.
The difference is, however, that Pure Heroine is very pigmented, whilst Violet Frenzy is very, very sheer. I find that this is not as buildable as I would like. I'm not really going to take 10 minutes trying to make the colour opaque on my lips - there are better, more pigmented lipsticks out there that would take a fraction of the time for the same effect.
"Oh well!" I had thought. Better make this work another way. How would it look with just one or two layers as a sheer glaze? It can't go that badly, right?
WRONG.
I've read lots of horror stories about lipsticks and blushes and the like turning your face orange/grey. I always thought those stories were exaggerated.
After trying this lipstick, I know that they weren't.
It's probably my skintone, but this lipstick turns GREY on my lips if I only go for one layer. A really dark grey, to be sure, but hardly a healthy colour to be wearing on your lips! Perhaps if I was going as a zombie for Halloween this would be perfect, but...

I'm giving it two lippies because I really do like the Revlon Super Lustrous formula. But this colour is just not really worth the amount of time and effort you need to get a dark lip.

To Read all 13 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Purchases like this keep me goin' on my bored, "let's-go-to-ulta-and-you-know-just-browse" days. It was an accidental purchase because I wanted to find a dupe for MAC's Rebel and all the other berry shades were sold out, so I just took this one even though it looked way different than Rebel and it was lustre.

I've given up on trying to find the most natural lip stain for my skin tone (I used to be really dark and tan when I was a kid but grew into a light-medium skin tone that's ever-evolving depending on San Francisco's mood) and I was so pleasantly surprised that I accidentally found it! Yeah yeah yeah it's buildable and can make for a pretty dramatic, deep purple lip, but I like to use this one for a healthy tint on my lips. I find it very moisturizing as well. I just pat a little on my lips and I have a beautiful, everyday color that I like to wear on my non-makeup days because it gives me a healthy, bright look! The look I get when I've rubbed out bold lipstick off and a little of the product is still on there. I wouldn't knock this lipstick out for women who don't like the modern, vampy lipsticks of today. It would still work. A little goes a long way.

NOTE: I don't think this would be a good dupe for MAC's Rebel. When layered, Violet Frenzy is a much vampier, dark purple. Rebel is a bright, berry tone. Go for Wet 'n' Wild's Sugar Plum Fairy for a great Rebel dupe.

on 7/1/2014 1:59:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I'm not normally a fan of Revlon makeup, but I bought this after reading that it was a dupe for MAC's Rebel. I have to say that I'm very impressed with how long-lasting this lipstick is. The colour looks scarily purple in the tube, but the finish is actually fairly sheer (but very buildable for a more dramatic look). What's great is that even when this lipstick starts to fade, the colour is still even - no bleeding or horrible lines around the lips. I don't use a lip pencil or any kind of primer and it lasts 4-5+ hours and still looks great, even after eating/drinking. The formula is also quite moisturising and creamy. If you're unsure of whether a purple lip is for you and don't want to splurge on high-end lipstick, this is a good colour to try.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I'm a dark, statement lipstick kinda gal and violet frenzy fits the bill for daily use. This is a cool-toned violet shade with a subtle blue shift and sheen. As other reviewers said, this shade applies lighter than it appears but you can build it up to create more intensity and I pair it with Jordana silver lilac LL to increase longevity and pigmentation- perfect combo imo. The formula isn't moisturizing by any means, but it's not matte either as it has a pearl finish, I'd say it's average in application and goes on smoothly, lasting about 3 hours. No complaints here besides it can look patchy if my lips aren't moisturized properly beforehand! Don't hesitate to grab this lipstick at your local drugstore, it's truly flattering on all skin types and makes a statement for only $5.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Kinky, Fine

Hmmm, I think this is still growing on me. The key is in the "Pearl" finish - it's a light shimmer, decently pigmented, but very very very sheer. I think it would perform nicely over a dark stain, since it's also very moisturizing.

I never comment but this lipstick is beautiful! Reminds me of MAC Rebel. $5 at ULTA. You won't be disappointed with this wine berry shade. Appears darker in the tube than it will be on your lips. It's almost a creamy berry shade. Love it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Shade description: violet

Pros

- creamy
- moisturizing

Cons

- sheer
- poor staying power

Comments: This is an easy shade to wear as it's a bit sheer and not dark as you see in the tube. It's pretty creamy so it doesn't wear long. I like the color, just wish it were more opaque and less creamy as it didn't sit well on my lips.

Will not repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is a GORGEOUS color, absolutely perfect for fall. It isn't as dark on the actual lipstick bullet on my lips, but that may be because my lips are really pale on normal days.

I took one lippie off for the smell. You can't really smell it when you apply it on your lips, but it's horrendous and disgusting, and I'm pretty tolerant on bad scents for makeup. Smell if you dare.

A great soft sheer purple colour that isn't dark almost black. It has a bit of shimmer that reminds me of a disco ball and it looks really good during the fall season with great big lashes and dark hair. I don't see older women wearing this because its sort of a modern colour.