Alba Botanica Very Emollient Facial Sunblock 30

Alba Botanica Very Emollient Facial Sunblock 30

Not tested on animals

on 7/20/2017 8:40:00 PM

The one I have has SPF 40.

I love how creamy this goes onto my skin and absorbs nicely. It doesn't really leave a noticeable white cast but there is a slight hint of it. It doesn't break me out..and doesn't dry out my skin either.

The packaging can be improved. While i like that it's in a squeeze tube... it's hard to actually control how much comes out. There's this plastic cover like thing over the nozzle which is "supposed" to help control how much product comes out but i find it doesn't. I end up needed to squeeze the tube harder to get the product out of the plastic cover and as a result it ends up dispensing way more than i need.

Price is reasonable. $10 CAD for 113ml.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This sunscreen glides on smoothly. It doesn't leave a white cast. However, the one I purchased smells like vinegar, not a pleasant scent, which is why I did not rate a higher score.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this facial sunscreen! It's is emollient, they're not lying about that but I wouldn't say it's greasy I'd say it's moisturizing. I use this as my daily face moisturizer. It doesn't clog or break me out and my skin is dry so it just absorbs this like crazy. It looks nice under my makeup I'd say. Make my skin looks soft and healthy. And it does a great job protecting my skin. It also doesn't have that strong sunscreen smell. This is just overall the best sunscreen if ever used.

UPDATE: the only con! ugh! overtime through out the day the product migrates and gets in the eye and really burns. So i guess just don't use around the eyes. Which sucks cause i wanna protect that skin especially. I took off one lippie just for that reason.

on 5/31/2016 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've got a fine rash on my face and décolleté. Developed within a day of using this product. Hasn't cleared up after two weeks, so I'm passing it to my husband, whose skin is less sensitive. Beyond the rash, it is just too greasy to use with makeup. I've still tanned a bit in the two weeks of using it, but I haven't burned. So, there's that.

on 4/9/2016 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I have acne prone, combination/oily skin that is sensitive. This sunblock is so comedogenic on me, that I started using it just for my hands...and now my HANDS and arms have pimples. I did not know I could breakout on my hands before using this. This also has a very shiny finish that I don't like. The good: This is a very moisturizing sunscreen, and when worked in doesn't live a white cast. I also like the packaging. I will give it 3 lippies because it's moisturizing, has nice packaging and doesn't leave a white cast. I would only reccomend this for people with dry to normal skin that is NOT prone to breakouts. If you have oily or acne prone skin just don't buy this. Avoid the breakouts.

EDIT April 2015--- This is still my favorite sunscreen for the face! However, it's super hard to find at Whole Foods. I was worried that it was being discontinued, but I found you can find it on Amazon. :)

Original Review:

Wow, how I love this sunscreen.

I had written a very positive review two years ago for "L'Oreal - Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen Liquid Silk Sunshield For Face SPF 50" as this had been my go-to sunscreen under make-up for quite some time. However, now I have some issues where my skin is very dry in some areas and only a bit oily in my T-zone. I also now breakout a lot easier than I used to. While I like the L'Oreal Sublime Liquid Silk Sunshield sunscreen, it is not helpful for dry patches on my face and it tends to make those areas worse (especially with make-up on top). It was better when I had oilier skin.

This sunscreen is fantastic if you have dry to normal skin and are acne prone. It does have a little bit of physical block (titanium dioxide) but it is very low at 1% and so there really isn't much of a white cast. This is great for pictures. The rest of the block is chemical----so this isn't necessarily a very "natural" sunscreen. However, the ingredients have worked well for my skin. It truly does not break me out, and some of the natural extracts listed in the inactive ingredients really do seem to be helping my skin. I am trying to become more vigilant about wearing sunscreen daily, especially in the summer, as I do have some melasma (pigmentation) that the sun makes worse.

The name of the sunscreen is true----it is VERY emollient and if you are wearing it daily, you probably will need powder. I use a powder foundation, and I find this sits beautifully under it. I don't need a moisturizer under make-up with this sunscreen. I do agree with some reviewers that it can feel a little bit heavier than other facial sunscreens, but if you have dry to normal skin, you may really like this. Hydrated skin, after all, has a glow to it and looks healthy. If you already have oily skin, this may not be the sunscreen for you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I found this at Winners (Canadian version of TJ Maxx) and decided to give it a try because of its all natural claims and the fact that it is fragrance free. I wore it for about 10 days and while it's not terrible, I think there are better sunscreen lotions out there. It's very rich and creamy, which winds up feeling heavy on my face. I can feel it there all day, and it makes my face look shinier than usual, which I don't enjoy. It also has a tendency to ball up when I wear it over my usual moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel), and it's difficult to put foundation over top because it has a noticeably greasy feel on the skin. My Olay SPF 30 daily moisturizer for sensitive skin has a much lighter texture and it never balls up or feels heavy or greasy.

I decided to keep the bottle for use on my body, especially some pigmentation I have on my chest from a pimple I picked (don't ever do that!) and it seemed to be doing the trick for about a week, but I woke up this morning with new blemishes all right next to the pigmentation where I've been applying the sunscreen. I may use the rest of the bottle for my arms and legs, but it doesn't seem to work for my face or chest.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Before purchasing this product I was using the Eucerin facial sunblock SPF 15. It was in a lotion form which was not hydrating enough. I've seen Alba Botanica skincare @ Whole Foods so I figured it must be a good product. It is quite emollient which is exactly what I wanted because my skin is dry. I use this before applying my foundation. Some facial sunblocks leave a white cast because of the titanium dioxide. This one does not. The flip top cap is very user friendly. I did not buy mine @ Whole Foods. I bought it from an on-line website & paid only about $7!! I saved approx. $4. I don't use it everyday. However, I do use it every time I wear makeup. I'm pleased that the expiration date is 2016!!

on 2/12/2014 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got lucky with this bad boy. So I was looking for a natural facial moisturizer with SPF30 or more. I'd say the majority of facial moisturizers are lower than 30. I was getting ready to shell out $50+ for a moisturizer, with SPF25-30, when one night I went into Winners. If you're not familiar with Winners I'm pretty sure it's similar to T-Jay Max, where stock isn't consistent. I always have a look at their cosmetics, to see what they have, when I found this for $7. About this time I did the equation in my head, the reality was, I wanted the SPF, I didn't need the moisture, because in fact, this is a sun screen NOT a moisturizer. So I scooped it up. FINALLY natural Sun protection without costing a fortune. What's more is while it is NOT a moisturizer, it does supply me with a little more moisture. I'm not crazy about the packaging, and it could be the packaging itself, or me adjusting to it.

on 4/2/2013 8:58:00 AM

I have been using this for a couple of weeks and am happy with it

I had been looking for a good cruelty free sunscreen

I initially tried Eco Logical which I had to discontinue because of the foul smell

This one goes on easily and is scent free.

It does have a bit of a white cast but there again most sunscreens do

I like the texture and foundation goes on easily after application.

Also a reasonable price

I've since found out that this has poor UVA protection

This is a link to the EWG's 2013 review of sunscreens which is useful