Maybelline Expert Wear in Made for Mocha

Maybelline Expert Wear in Made for Mocha

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

If you're looking for a decent matte eyeshadow at the drugstore, you've met your match! This is a true neutral dark brown that almost leans kind of ashy. It is pigmented and blendable. Lasted me through an entire day without fading. ZERO fallout. Whhaaaaatttt.

It's a single pan item so I'll keep this review brief, but honestly there are Sephora-brand eyeshadows that don't deliver like this one. So, at the risk of beating a dead horse, yes I am impressed. I kind of wish Maybelline would bust out more mattes because there aren't enough to write home about at the DS!

on 9/10/2016 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I was looking for a cool dark brown eyeshadow that was cheap. This color was perfect. I got it at Walmart for around $3, and it's very similar to the brown in Chanel's Taupe Delicat duo. It lasts all day without fading/creasing and no fall-out.

on 10/29/2015 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I bought this product specifically to use as a face contour powder because of the greyish-brown tone. And yes, it works very well! I use a blush brush to pick up some of the product with a heavy hand, yes I said heavy. Because it is not a very pigmented shadow, it deposits just enough colour perfectly as a contour. The colour is perfect as it mimics a natural shadow. Of course, I be sure to have a powder base underneath as it may come out splotchy. But blend it well, and it looks perfect. I found my holy grail contour :)

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I've never actually used this as eyeshadow, but pro tip: This stuff is a perfect dark brown shade for filling in eyebrows because it's completely matte and dark. I just wish Maybelline didn't test on animals!

This is more of a grayish charcoal brown perfect for darker brows, this along with the Ardel brow stenciles and a fluffy eyeshadow brush = perfection. People always comment on my perfect brows if they only knew hehehe. Pricing is unbeatable, packaging is standard and its found in every store in town.

on 5/19/2015 4:37:00 AM

I had an SA at Sephora contour my face once using the $23 Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour and the $45 Smashbox Step-By-Step Contouring Kit. When I got home I achieved the same results using a $3 e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush to apply a highlighting shade and a taupe-brown shade from the $10 Maybelline The Nudes Palette.

About a week after that, I picked up Maybelline's $3 Expert Wear Eyeshadow Single in Made for Mocha which turns out to be chalky for eyeshadow use, with and without eyeshadow primer. BUT the formula is soft, sheer, and blendable enough that it's now my dedicated contouring powder. The compact comes with 0.09ml of product, which is about half of what typically comes in most powder blush compacts anyway. Get 2 compacts and you have what would amount to a typical full-size blush/bronzer/contouring compact for $6!

$3 for a drugstore contouring powder that's cool/taupe-toned, natural-looking and easy to work with? I'll take that over a $27+ contouring product from Sephora any day!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I use this product for face contouring.

With all the contour palettes coming out lately I decided to try using something other than a bronzer (was previously using just BE Faux a Tan or TF Cocoa powder bronzer). Love the palettes but so many are dupeable with eye shadow pans. I headed to the drugstore looking for the darkest neutral matte brown I could find - I almost got one of the Revlon ones that click together but then found this which is bigger so better value. (I paid maybe $6, but it was CVS.)

Pigmentation & application:
The pigmentation is better than expected - on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being most pigmented, I'd rank it a 7. It's pigmented enough to be useful but not do much so that you can't firmly wipe at it if you make a mistake. I'm fair-light so I can use this as a liner or outer corner shade or a lid shade for a smoky eye but find it too harsh as an eye crease contour. The pigmentation is perfect for face contouring. I use a narrow blush brush, tap the side of it into the pan, and it picks up a perfect amount - one swipe where I need it and then thorough blending AFTER base and blush is on and blending is a breeze.

I recommend:
Using over powder products, even if lightly dusting face with finishing powder, before using. If you use directly on dry primer you run the risk of patchiness. I've never experienced this but obviously others have so just don't apply heavily at first - this isn't an Urban Decay shadow, it's Maybelline!

I've gotten compliments since I started contouring with this - one friend even said I looked like a supermodel. Obviously don't go heavy for during the day. It's a great shade for eyes because it literally matches everything (then again I have brown hair and eyes)! The pan is huge and will probably last me a freaking decade - I've been using it a few times a week for almost a year and the hetchmarks are gone but I don't see a dip yet! It's hard and I don't think it will break in your makeup bag - so far so good in mine.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I use this as a contour shade. It has a hint of gray and with a light hand, this shade can look flawless when used as a contour for darker skin tones. Love it!

on 5/15/2013 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I got this to replace the darkest colour in the Natural Smokes quad, which I use as a liner and for my brows. It's a bit lighter brown than the quad colour, but I like that better! It's great on my brows and to line my lower lashes - I will definitely buy it again when I need more, if it's still available.

on 5/6/2013 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had run out of my favorite brow powder and decided to look for a replacement. This shade is perfect and matches my brows really well. It also holds up all day and blends great. No complaints and I'm tempted to get a backup.