Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation

Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating FoundationSmashbox, Too Faced, Benefit and Laura GellarStudio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation

3.9

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), ILN37941

on 11/17/2017 10:47:00 AM

This is my HG foundation. I have used it for years, and anytime I try something new, I come running right back to it. It blends easily, has an excellent range of colors, and stays on like mad (with primer, of course). The finish is a perfect marriage between natural and matte. I get lots of compliments on my skin when I wear this, which is amazing because I don't have naturally great skin. In fact, I use two prescription creams to keep me clear. That said, it does cling to my dry spots in the winter time. But, I haven't found any foundation that doesn't do that (because prescription creams dry me out in some spots soooo badly).

on 11/8/2017 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was so excited to try this foundation since I heard good things about it for oily skin. But it didn’t work for me. I actually washed it off my face after applying it. I almost never had to do that before with any foundation. Luckily I only had a sample. The foundation is just very cakey. It feels a bit like a tinted glue. It felt matte which I like but it caked up on my nose, in and between my eyebrows, under my eyes. I tried to blend it out with my beauty blender but it just got worse! Very strange. It just did not look good. It could have great staying power, that’s what I heard but I didn’t feel like going out with it. This rarely happens to me. Packaging is nice though.

on 10/10/2017 3:18:00 PM

It reminded me of L'Oreal pro matte, but at $50 instead of $20. I could really feel it on my face aaand I returned it.

on 11/4/2017 7:17:00 PM

I normally use the SB photofinish powder Foundation in #3 and it works well for me.

Today I had a SB makeover and asked to try this foundation to have a more full coverage option. The SB rep used #1.15 (peach fair) and by the time I got home, it had oxidized so much that my kids said it looked orange (they weren’t exaggerating). This was with the SB photofinish oil free primer underneath too.

I went back and asked to try 1.1 and it looked too pink. She recommended 2.1 but there was no way I was going darker so I ended up returning it

I don’t have a particularly difficult skin tone to match so I found it strange that the rep (as opposed to a sales associate) couldn’t match me. This isn’t the first foundation to oxidize on me, so that isn’t surprising.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

EDITED

Background:
Oily t zone, prone to break outs (cystic acne included), redness, textured skin.

I've never used high end foundation before and this is my first purchase from Sephora. I was tired of my acne showing through my drugstore foundations and how oily my skin would get throughout my 9-5 day. Don't get me wrong, the drugstore products i used are great (Nyx photogenic primer Nyx HD Foundation and Nyx concealer jar), i just needed something more full coverage for my particular problem skin and Smashbox is the answer to my prayers.

I do my make up at 7:30am and i don't need to blot and touch up until about 12pm and even then, i am not an oil slick or really shiny. Barely any of my oils seep through like it used to, it's just a tad shiny and this will happen to me regardless because I do have oily skin. I love this foundation - it is now my holy grail. I also blot at the end of the day around 4pm before I leave work.

I play rec basketball for two hours a week and because I am self conscious about my skin, I do wear this foundation and it holds up the whole entire time. I can vouch and say it is indeed sweat-proof and transfer-proof (unless you deliberately rub it off or get hit in the face lol) and I look almost exactly as how i did when i first applied it. I do touch up after i play to get rid of my sweat and whatever bits of oil that seeped through.

Pros:
- long wearing (with minimal touch ups depending on how oily you are)
- wears well with Smashbox photo finish primer (wore it with my nyx primer and oil still came through - i blame the nyx primer)
- sweat-proof & transfer-proof
- feels & looks matte, doesn't even feel like im wearing foundation (I put 1 layer on my normal skin & 2 layers on acne areas)
- works great on textured skin
- skin is fine, no bad reactions
- buildable from medium to full coverage

Cons:
- Glass bottle w/ pump (pump is good but when product starts to run out, you will have to scoop out the foundation)
- expensive
- does cling a little to dry flakes
- must use sponge (brush application does not work nicely - at least not for me)
- feels a little sticky and thick when you apply but once it sets, you are golden
- wouldn't say it lasts for 15 hours on oily skin (only at least 8 hours and also depends how oily you are)
- will cake if you try to add a second layer on an already dried first layer. so work fast when it's still wet and when your sponge is still wet too.
- might show your pores depending on what concealer you use (i use MUFE full cover concealer and when i over-blend my concealer, my pores show. i think it's due to both products being SO matte.)

Hope this helps :)

on 11/1/2017 2:32:00 PM

Absolutely perfect for acne prone skin or skin prone to dry patches! This is one of the only few foundations I've ever used which does not accentuate or cling to dry patches! Lasts really well, the coverage is great, and the colour match is pretty much spot on too. One of my faves for troublesome skin!

on 10/7/2017 4:11:00 PM

This foundation is long-wearing and has medium to full coverage. I wear this foundation when I know I would be out and about all day, and it stays on all day! 2.2 is my shade, I am Asian, medium-olive skin toned, 2.2 is an almost perfect shade for me and I appreciate the yellow tone in the foundation. I love the way it looks and it doesn't feel too heavy. I would say that it feels dry at the end of the day but it may just be my dry skin. But I definitely recommend this foundation and it's my #1 for the past year.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I haven't bought Smashbox in a while, but recently bought two of their products (this foundation, plus a primer) and I'm loving both. I find this foundation quite lightweight - I couldn't feel it once it was on, and it was very easy to get the coverage I needed. It's a buildable formula so you can go lightweight, or build if you need more coverage on some days (or particular parts of the face). I was worried about it feeling dry, since it's a long-wear formula, but no issues whatsover. The colour is beautiful and true to my skin (I use #22) and utterly seemless. I couldn't see it even in harsh daylight. It also lasts through a long workday and I didn't see any oxidation...score. Really impressed with this formula.

on 9/1/2017 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

There are so many good things about this foundation but unfortunately it made me break out. I haven't had cystic acne in years but this gave me 3 large cystic pimples in places I've never even had acne (cheeks). I found the perfect color match which is important. I am t-zone oily and live in Texas and this kept my oil away all day!!! It has good coverage and nice matte finish. I won't be repurchasing due to the breakouts. I'm sad because it is hard to find a foundation that controls my oil. :(

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I can't believe that it took me so long to try this foundation. The maker needs to step-up their advertising to inform the public and establish themselves as an excellent option that's in a class with MAC and Estée Lauder's Doublewear. It's awesome.

I had recently started using Estee Lauder's Doublewear. But then I happened to cross a sample of this Smashbox foundation. The color melted into my skin perfectly! And it came with a nice pump unlike the Doublewear. The price point is the same at $42. Here's what I love about this foundation:

1) It is super lightweight on the skin even though the coverage is medium to full. For a while, I had been using a MAC cream foundation that I love. But this Smashbox foundation just feels wonderful and barely there on my skin.

2) The foundation doesn't rub off on anything during the day. It's truly non-transferable. So I don't accidentally get any on my hands, on paper or on the neckline of my tops. I use a powder over the foundation. I'm sure that helps.

3) I'm chocolate brown with reddish undertones. I bought the 4.4 color. I believe it's the darkest. I'm regularly getting random comments about how great my makeup looks. The 4.4 Is a gorgeous, warm color.

4) I have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I prep my skin well and this foundation works perfectly. I wear the Smashbox oil-free primer on my t-zone under the foundation and I top the foundation off with a pressed powder. I just have to do minimal powder touch-ups during the day. And for my cheeks, I wear a slight smear of oil under my moisturizer and the matte finish of this foundation doesn't dry me out.

5) The product washes away easily at the end of the day since it is so lightweight.

I love the pump that comes with this product. It's sturdy. I just need one pump for my forehead, one for each cheek and another to cover around the mouth area. And I love that classy, minimalistic glass bottle. What a great product!