Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

3.9

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), ILN37941

on 7/13/2016 9:55:00 PM

I've been using this foundation in the shade 2.1 for a few years now. I've strayed to Hourglass Immaculate and even some variant of MAC powder before that, but I've always come back to this. Not because it's great, by any means, but it does a decent job.

In fact, if I could sum up my views of this foundation in one word, it would be "decent."

This foundation is marketed as a "medium to full coverage" solution if you build it up, but this definitely isn't the case for me. It cakes if I try to get it above medium coverage, even when properly using concealer and primer underneath.

My skin is troubled, I have:
-hyperpigmentation from acne
-active acne
-redness
-oily skin

I can easily cover up the redness but the hyperpigmentation is too much for the Smashbox to handle without serious caking. If this were truly buildable to full coverage, the foundation should be able to build up without clumping. It just doesn't cover up the flaws I need it to cover. When I need fuller coverage, I use about 4 pumps of this expensive foundation which is not ideal at the price point of $42.

As far as color match, I'm a fairly yellow NC25 and the 2.1 is great, though it leans neutral. Even though 2.1 is neutral, the color doesn't look off on my skin nor does it break me out. If they had a more yellow variety of this shade to match my undertones, it would be ideal.

Regardless, my search for a real full coverage will probably take me to a pro/HD line next, since I won't be buying this again after it runs out, especially after finding out Smashbox is not cruelty-free.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Great foundation and loads of shades to suit, most skin colours and even though they say cool toned they are yellow based. Stays on all day and looks like it's just applied until the end of the day although looks slightly dewy in places... nose etc. Tried in gym, I workout hard and it was still in place even though I applied the foundation to test an hour before working out. So all in all this is a great buy.. but I find I need quite a bit of product... around 4 pumps per use. I can imagine having to repurchase again quite soon at £29.00.

To Read all 311 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/4/2016 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm writing my first review ever for a product for this, which I've had for 5 years, repurchased 3 times, and has been my HG up until now. I only would have had to repurchase twice, but I have a tan shade for summer and a fairer shade for winter (2.2 and 1.2). Color is gorgeous but I can't fully give this product credit as the range of colors is so lacking. I like when darker skinned women have the same options as fairer and mid-ranged skin tones, and that is just not the case for this line. Paler shades seem a bit lacking as well.

When I first bought this I used Stila one step correct underneath it, and applied both with my fingers. It glided on relatively well with that product and had a beautiful finish. However, now that my skin and skincare routine have changed to a moisturizer and a pore-filling primer, this product simply does not go on well. The consistency is sticky and the product streaks when first applied, and takes quite a bit more blending than other high-end foundations. I have tried it on bare skin, with only a moisturizer and with a few different primers and it's been the same results every time. The finish is satin, looks beautiful when blended in, and doesn't transfer, but this product feels nothing like real skin as it never settles (instead stays an almost "tacky" texture). Setting the whole face with powder makes the finish feel okay, but look less like it was intended unless it is specifically a satin-finish powder.

I wish this product was more compatible with all types of different skincare regimes/primers as it is very pricey and should be able to complement whatever you want to use, or if you want nothing at all! I wish I still loved this product but I just don't. Make Up For Ever HD gives a similar finish but is so easy to blend, works with my skin care routine, is cheaper, and has a much better range of shades. I would check out that one and other popular foundations and do a thorough comparison before buying the Smashbox.

In short: okay foundation that takes much longer to blend than is acceptable, looks good but feels gross on skin, has great packaging but is expensive. You will like it if you actually find your color, have extra cash that you feel like spending, and like to devote extra time to buffing foundation into your skin.

on 6/8/2016 11:08:00 PM

This product lasts all day, controls oil, looks natural, and covers all the redness from my rosacea. Unfortunately it emphasized the dry patches on the sides of my nose. My nose area also became splotchy within a few minutes of using it, primed and everything. I really wanted to like it (plus it comes with a pump), but I had to return it. Not worth the price, IMO.

on 6/7/2016 5:13:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love this foundation. I purchased it twice now and used both bottles (2.1 and 2.2...I'm NC25ish) so it is a winner in my book. It has a lightweight feel but covers fully and naturally (a little on the matte side but not chalky for cakey). It also wears an extremely long time. For me, I have oily skin especially in the t-zone. While I don't need a ton of coverage, I need something that will stay on my skin. So far, this is working great for me.

on 6/6/2016 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

This is by far my favorite foundation!
I have combination/oily skin and I have extremely yellow undertones.
I love that it's VERY lightweight and matte! This foundation stays on all day and by the end of the day it still looks great! You would think that since it's so watery that it wouldn't have enough coverage, but it does! I love this foundation and I LOVE how it doesn't feel or get cakey like most foundations. Also it makes my face looks poreless and it blends well with my other products! it's my holy grail!
I would recommend it for everyone, except for maybe people with dry skin. I think if you use the primer oil with it, it would probably work (for dry skin).

on 5/28/2016 10:34:00 AM

Love this foundation. I am a NC45/NC50 in MAC and a Warm almond 6.5 in Bobbi Brown. Both longwear foundation.
Purchased this one in 4.1 and it matches my skincolor even better than MAC or Bobbi Brown. I have very very oily skin. With MAC and Bobbi Brown I get oily within an hour and it goes on the whole day. With Smashbox I have to blot after about 5 hours. So that for me is a major improvement.
The only thing is that you have to work really fast. I put some dots on my face after applying a primer from Smashbox too, dampen a flat kabuki brush and then blend it into my skin very quickly. I set it with some translucent powder. This gives me the most natural look; otherwise it can turn out cakey.

Typically love Smashbox but this product is the worst. Super drying, crumbly appearance on the skin, very thick formula for the coverage you receive. Avoid avoid avoid.

on 4/29/2016 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I still have not found my HG liquid foundation yet, but this one comes pretty close.
I purchased it from Ebay after a suggestion from another acne prone reviewer. I couldn't find it here in Australia, so made the gamble of getting it from Ebay. Luckily the fair shade (1.1) was the perfect match for my pale skin.

I have been through a lot of liquid foundations and I've finally found this one and I'm happy with it. I don't often wear liquid foundation (I usually wear mineral powder). But if I need a heavier, long lasting, coverage, then this is my go to liquid foundation. I find liquid foundation too heavy for daily wear. I save this one for special occasions.

I have oily skin (especially in my t-zone) and have mild acne which is prone to breaking out after a day of wearing liquid foundation. But with this Smashbox Studio Skin 15hr Wear Fdt. I don't break out nearly as much! I won't say that it doesn't cause any break outs (it still causes minor break outs every now and then), but for the coverage this foundation provides, I would expect my skin to break out a lot more.

It can be tricky to apply because it dries so fast. Work in small areas. I've used sponge applicators, and foundation brush applicators. Both work okay. It's personal preference really, but I have tried both. In the end I preferred the foundation brush to apply this foundation. Working in small areas, and stippling effect for blending (so that it doesn't look streaky).

When first applied, it can look VERY matte. But I applied this an hour before having to be at work. After a couple of hours, my natural oils start to come into play and give it a beautiful satin finish which pretty much lasts for the duration of my working day. My t-zone is starting to look oily by the time I leave work, but this happens no matter what foundation I wear. With other foundations this usually happens by lunch time. With Smashbox Studio Skin 15hr Wear, it happens a lot later in the day. Which is very good considering how oily my t-zone can usually get. With Smashbox, it doesn't 'break apart' when my oils kick in, like other foundations often do. That impressed me!

In the beginning I was setting this liquid foundation with a mineral powder. It's not necessary. It makes the foundation look worse. It'll look better if you just leave it.

So in summary, if you are acne prone with oily skin and looking for a liquid foundation that provides coverage and a matte/satin finish - then I would highly recommend it. BUT not for every day use. Your acne prone skin needs time to breathe. But this is the only liquid foundation I've that doesn't break me out AS I'm wearing it.

on 4/21/2016 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have combo/oily t zone skin and this foundation works very well. I sweat a lot and have been to night clubs, concerts etc and the foundation has definately stayed put. I only have to touch up with powder if I'm out at a nightclub/party. Great coverage and buildable. Definately would buy again