GIVENCHY Dahlia Noir EDP

Filtered by eye Color : Green
GIVENCHY Dahlia Noir EDP

3.0

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

To me, this has the smell of expensive make up... I love it :-)... it is a little bit of a powdery smell, but I think that makes it fresh. I love :-)

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I generally like Givenchy fragrances and have been wearing them for quite some time. I don't particularly like this one, but don't hate it either. The issue was more it isn't my style. This is more of a classic, old-Hollywood, feminine, rose-y scent. Think Chanel No 5, except this fragrance is much newer. The packaging is very nice, but the product itself is a bit expensive compared to this brand's other perfumes. Nice scent, wouldn't throw it out or give it away, but definitely a little too powder-y, not subtle or sexy enough for my taste. Try this if you enjoy a traditional, classic and mature fragrance.

Why anybody would want to smell like baby powder for the price of this is beyond me. I love the packaging, the name, the colour, longevity, basically everything but the smell. Weirdly enough the baby powder smell wasnt as obvious in store but that may be due to smelling other fragrances. Supposed to be a powdery rose smell, my mum has tried every rose smell under the sun but the powdery smell overpowers any rose in this one. You either hate it or love it. Smells ok on clothes because the smell is clean. Love givenchy wanted to love this, sadly I cannot.

on 2/13/2013 7:00:00 AM

I am totally shocked by Givenchy using the nickname of a 22 year old murdered woman to sell their latest perfume.
Elizabeth Short, to give her her real name was horrifically mutilated and murdered in Hollywood in 1947 and to be correct she was cut in half! Look at the advert, what does the ribbon around the model waist suggest to you with regards that terrible information? The whole styling is a tacky, tasteless, creepy mimicking of the murder, and in spite of the fact that she was killed 66 years ago doesn't give any company the right to use her sad death to sell water that smells, which is more or less what perfume is! I don't think that perfume which smelt like decomposing flesh would sell, so let's make it like baby powder instead!!!!!

Shame on Givenchy and I very much doubt that the classy Herbert de Givenchy would have approved!
I won't buy this if it was the last scent/ fragrance/perfume in the world!
Think before you buy into misogyny and that includes Dolce and Gabbona who are no doubt the worst offenders in this victimhood of women adverts.

I really, really like this fragrance. I was initially attracted to it because I became fascinated by the Black Dahlia murder case of the 1940's a couple years ago. The haunting Black Dahlia case was the most notorious murder of the 21st century and it continues to mystify and frighten people today. Is it the name? Is the the advertising? I don't know but when I first saw this in a magazine my mind immediately made the connection to the gruesome murder of Elizabeth Short - the black-haired femme fatale that sported a black attire and blood red lips while frequenting various seedy restaurants and clubs in Los Angeles. The name of this fragrance is enough to draw attention (albeit maybe in a slightly twisted way.) I don't know for a fact if this fragrance was inspired by the infamous murder but the name and the model in the advertisements with the black hair, pale skin and lacy black attire is quite a coincidence if you ask me.
Givenchy Dahlia Noir opens up as softly floral with a touch of baby powder (a typical smell of women in the 1940's). The initial spray reminds me of Miss Dior Cherie. And then you're like "That's it?" ... but then after a few minutes the cedar and sandalwood begin to emerge, take a deeper whiff and your nostrils are caressed with creamy vanilla and tonka bean. Then.. the fourth and final step is where one can detect the "noir" aspect in this fragrance. Yes its there, but you need to wait for the dry down. There is depth and complexity to Dahlia Noir but it is subtle. It isn't heavy and decadent like Crystal Noir by Versace or Tom Ford's Black Orchid. I like Crystal Noir but it can be kind of obnoxious for every day wear. This fragrance is feminine but not too sweet and girly like many perfumes out on the market these days. This fragrance requires imagination, in my opinion.
I received this fragrance in a value gift set for Christmas and fell in love with the cute pale pink and black packaging. I have the eau de parfum version not the eau de toilette because edt is like body spray with a slightly longer longevity. The bottle itself is sophisticated and modernistic. Its pricey, yes. I guess that's a downer. My gift set came with a perfumed and moisturizing body dew (love, love, LOVE) and a sexy dark little candle labeled Dahlia Noir which smells gorgeous when lit.

I tried to do my best in identifying the personality and concept of Givenchy's Dahlia Noir. If it sounds like what you're looking for, what are you waiting for? Stop reading this and go get it! If not, move on. :) I personally love this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Iris and tonka bean usually are powdery notes, or they can mimic powder somewhat. I'm sure it's not powdery on everyone, but it's often hard for the nose to tell what note is what. It does make me think of Prada Candy, which also smells like a powdery candy iris instead of caramel. Upon coming to the conclusion that both were powdery, I went online to try to find some reviews or other opinions. All I read was people were convinced Candy was like caramel, and this was just powder. I think there's more to it than just that. It needs more testing.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I acquired a sample of Givenchy's Dahlia Noir and am enjoying it very much! The note descriptions didn't give much in the way of an idea as to what it smelled like - "rose vapour, peach milk, iris powder and precious/sacred woods" - adding to the vagueness of those notes are the fact that the dahlia flower has no smell. But I suspected it would be a non-sweet, 'dark' autumn/winter type of fragrance which is appealing to me, so I hunted down a sample.

Dahlia Noir reminds me of Magie Noir (Lancome) before it was reformulated. If you enjoy a deep, sexy, non-sweet fragrance that isn't too strong (thankfully, no terrible blast of too much sillage) you may enjoy this. I found the lasting power (though subtle) was definitely there and my coat definitely smelled of Dahlia Noir for a few days afterwards.

The price is high, which is discouraging for someone like me on a budget. The bottle itself is a minimalist modernistic style, which would look nice on anyone's dresser in their fragrance collection.

Popular Fragrances