GIVENCHY Dahlia Noir EDP

GIVENCHY Dahlia Noir EDP

3.3

on 4/19/2014 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Has a really old-school vibe, and I'm having flashes of Old Hollywood actresses -- esp Audrey Hepburn, because of the L'Interdit which was made for her and was quite powdery (I had it once) -- and it was also made by Givenchy.

Yes, this does have a baby powder quality in the drydown, as so many have said -- but the scent itself -- at first -- smells to me almost like black cherry. It's a bit medicinal, or wine-like (fermented), and fairly strong, if not sprayed with care. Lasts very well. I checked the note list, and there is nothing to reflect black cherry, but that's how it strikes me -- it may be just the way the notes combine (mandarin w/ patchouli?)

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:
Top Notes: Mandarin, Mimosa, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Notes, per Sephora.com:
Pink Pepper, Mandarin, Cedrat, Rose, Peach, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber.

Strong & a bit dark & wine-like at the top -- then it turns baby powdery in the drydown. It smells Old Hollywoood and therefore "mature" to me. If they were trying for a 40's or 50's retro, I think they achieved it.

To my nose, it dries down to a sweet pretty smoky black-cherryish baby powder scent -- and that smoky dark-fruity note gives it a subtle sultriness underneath the sweet baby powder. It's growing on me -- I'm actually finding myself craving it at times.

PS -- I later bought the EDT version, and it's missing that dark "black cherry-ish" vibe I got from EDP. I find the EDT to be nicer and more wearable.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I like it! I also live in a humid humid climate the coast of South Carolina, I had the same experience I got a sample of the EDP and I bought the EDT it is totally different but unlike the other review I like it.

on 3/19/2012 1:50:00 PM

This scent is clearly powdery mixed with floral tones. So having said that it's a matter of taste. Personally i absolutely love these powdery-floral scents, i find them so feminine!
They don't feel like "BAM that woman is wearing perfume", but rather , that's how a woman should naturally smell, if that makes any sense!

I create a picture in my head: a girl just had a bath with an expensive soap, then wore some powder on her cleavage and flowers on her head..... that's how she would smell!! Hahahaha i'm weird like that, i create pictures in my head when it comes to perfumes!

To sum it up i absolutely love this perfume, but i don't know if i would repurchase , mainly because of the price and partly because my boyfriend makes fun of me saying that , while it smells amazing, he could help me create the same effect by putting some baby powder on my buttocks...LOL !