Givenchy Dahlia Noir EDP

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Givenchy Dahlia Noir EDP

3.2

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

To me, this has the smell of expensive make up... I love it :-)... it is a little bit of a powdery smell, but I think that makes it fresh. I love :-)

Why anybody would want to smell like baby powder for the price of this is beyond me. I love the packaging, the name, the colour, longevity, basically everything but the smell. Weirdly enough the baby powder smell wasnt as obvious in store but that may be due to smelling other fragrances. Supposed to be a powdery rose smell, my mum has tried every rose smell under the sun but the powdery smell overpowers any rose in this one. You either hate it or love it. Smells ok on clothes because the smell is clean. Love givenchy wanted to love this, sadly I cannot.

Givenchy Dahlia Noir EDP has somewhat startled me. Thrown me back into the past. A friend of mine gave me a few of her samples (as she doesn't care for powdery scents) and I've used it twice - I just ordered a large bottle.

For some reason, this scent reminds me of when I was a 10 year old little girl and my very wealthy aunt would pick me up in her brand new BMW for a day of shopping. I could smell the new car scent (new leather), along with the spearmint gum she always chewed, and the opened bottle of Perrier sparkling mineral water that forever sat in the cup holder.

My family had little money, but being with my aunt, smelling my aunt, I felt rich just being near her. I yearned to smell like her one day. That's how this perfume makes me feel.

It's just lovely. I can't see this ever being offensive to anyone. It may not work with ones body chemistry, but I can't see if offending from a distance. It's the ultimate daytime office perfume that is soft, but will definitely get you noticed. I do get a bit of the powder but I've smelled far stronger before. It's a fluffy, breezy, soft powdered sugar, not baby powder, in my opinion.

If you're looking for baby powder in a bottle or have never truly smelled it before, try Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka.

on 4/19/2014 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Has a really old-school vibe, and I'm having flashes of Old Hollywood actresses -- esp Audrey Hepburn, because of the L'Interdit which was made for her and was quite powdery (I had it once) -- and it was also made by Givenchy.

Yes, this does have a baby powder quality in the drydown, as so many have said -- but the scent itself -- at first -- smells to me almost like black cherry. It's a bit medicinal, or wine-like (fermented), and fairly strong, if not sprayed with care. Lasts very well. I checked the note list, and there is nothing to reflect black cherry, but that's how it strikes me -- it may be just the way the notes combine (mandarin w/ patchouli?)

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:
Top Notes: Mandarin, Mimosa, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Notes, per Sephora.com:
Pink Pepper, Mandarin, Cedrat, Rose, Peach, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber.

Strong & a bit dark & wine-like at the top -- then it turns baby powdery in the drydown. It smells Old Hollywoood and therefore "mature" to me. If they were trying for a 40's or 50's retro, I think they achieved it.

To my nose, it dries down to a sweet pretty smoky black-cherryish baby powder scent -- and that smoky dark-fruity note gives it a subtle sultriness underneath the sweet baby powder. It's growing on me -- I'm actually finding myself craving it at times.

PS -- I later bought the EDT version, and it's missing that dark "black cherry-ish" vibe I got from EDP. I find the EDT to be nicer and more wearable.

on 7/8/2013 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was excited to try this thinking "this might actually have some presence and depth unlike every other juice on the market right now" wrong, nothing Noir or dark about it boring floral with a touch of fruit - think this is trying to be a new version of Hot Couture but doesnt quite cut it. Boring

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I like it! I also live in a humid humid climate the coast of South Carolina, I had the same experience I got a sample of the EDP and I bought the EDT it is totally different but unlike the other review I like it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

The EDP & the EDT smell completely different, as I accidentally took home the EDT and quickly took it back after one spray (yuck) and exchanged for the EDP that I absolutely LOVE!! I love fresh powdery scents, and this one fits the bill perfectly. I have terrible allergies and many perfumes make me sick to my stomach and this one does not. I want to smell it all the time. It lasts all day, especially if you spray your hair. I live in a hot climate (Georgia) and it's not too overpowering even on the hottest and most humid days. To me it is worth the price and I don't mind the minimalist packaging as it is easy to hold and easy to spray. But for me, ONLY the perfume not the toilette.

on 2/13/2013 7:00:00 AM

I am totally shocked by Givenchy using the nickname of a 22 year old murdered woman to sell their latest perfume.
Elizabeth Short, to give her her real name was horrifically mutilated and murdered in Hollywood in 1947 and to be correct she was cut in half! Look at the advert, what does the ribbon around the model waist suggest to you with regards that terrible information? The whole styling is a tacky, tasteless, creepy mimicking of the murder, and in spite of the fact that she was killed 66 years ago doesn't give any company the right to use her sad death to sell water that smells, which is more or less what perfume is! I don't think that perfume which smelt like decomposing flesh would sell, so let's make it like baby powder instead!!!!!

Shame on Givenchy and I very much doubt that the classy Herbert de Givenchy would have approved!
I won't buy this if it was the last scent/ fragrance/perfume in the world!
Think before you buy into misogyny and that includes Dolce and Gabbona who are no doubt the worst offenders in this victimhood of women adverts.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The perfect thing to wear if you're 65, wearing a baby dress and have attributed names and personalities to all the members of your enormous doll collection.
Yeeesh.

I really, really like this fragrance. I was initially attracted to it because I became fascinated by the Black Dahlia murder case of the 1940's a couple years ago. The haunting Black Dahlia case was the most notorious murder of the 21st century and it continues to mystify and frighten people today. Is it the name? Is the the advertising? I don't know but when I first saw this in a magazine my mind immediately made the connection to the gruesome murder of Elizabeth Short - the black-haired femme fatale that sported a black attire and blood red lips while frequenting various seedy restaurants and clubs in Los Angeles. The name of this fragrance is enough to draw attention (albeit maybe in a slightly twisted way.) I don't know for a fact if this fragrance was inspired by the infamous murder but the name and the model in the advertisements with the black hair, pale skin and lacy black attire is quite a coincidence if you ask me.
Givenchy Dahlia Noir opens up as softly floral with a touch of baby powder (a typical smell of women in the 1940's). The initial spray reminds me of Miss Dior Cherie. And then you're like "That's it?" ... but then after a few minutes the cedar and sandalwood begin to emerge, take a deeper whiff and your nostrils are caressed with creamy vanilla and tonka bean. Then.. the fourth and final step is where one can detect the "noir" aspect in this fragrance. Yes its there, but you need to wait for the dry down. There is depth and complexity to Dahlia Noir but it is subtle. It isn't heavy and decadent like Crystal Noir by Versace or Tom Ford's Black Orchid. I like Crystal Noir but it can be kind of obnoxious for every day wear. This fragrance is feminine but not too sweet and girly like many perfumes out on the market these days. This fragrance requires imagination, in my opinion.
I received this fragrance in a value gift set for Christmas and fell in love with the cute pale pink and black packaging. I have the eau de parfum version not the eau de toilette because edt is like body spray with a slightly longer longevity. The bottle itself is sophisticated and modernistic. Its pricey, yes. I guess that's a downer. My gift set came with a perfumed and moisturizing body dew (love, love, LOVE) and a sexy dark little candle labeled Dahlia Noir which smells gorgeous when lit.

I tried to do my best in identifying the personality and concept of Givenchy's Dahlia Noir. If it sounds like what you're looking for, what are you waiting for? Stop reading this and go get it! If not, move on. :) I personally love this one.

Popular Fragrances