GIVENCHY Dahlia Noir EDP

GIVENCHY Dahlia Noir EDP

3.3

on 8/27/2011 1:51:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This scent is pure powder. I must admit it does have some spice to it but the drydown is pure baby powder. I don't get them categorizing it as a Chypre. It's nice but not amazing.

on 10/2/2011 12:05:00 AM

I went to NM for another scent, but ended up bringing this home! Smells amazing, but staying power is not so great... hmmm. Maybe I need to layer it with the lotion?

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Dahlia Noir is a very simple scent to me. Simple and unusual. Very pleasant and different from most mainstream perfumes, but not particularly special in its quality of ingredients. It opens with a fleeting icy blast of sweet tropical fruit like a freezing lychee guava cocktail, but very quickly turns into a fascinating, if simple, heliotrope and smoke accord that remains consistent throughout the rest of its wear. It feels like something a very smart and attractive lady with impeccable taste would spritz to refresh herself while lounging poolside in an outrageously expensive palm tree-print bikini at an expensive old-Hollywood resort.

Dahlia Noir is named (very distastefully, I might add) after a murder victim from 1947. If you're interested in the very horrifying and sad details, just look up "Black Dahlia" on wikipedia. It was a heavily sensationalized case, but there's absolutely nothing glamorous about it, and I'm more than a little disappointed that Givenchy chose this name for their perfume. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

However, the fragrance itself is beautifully wearable and both sweetly cool and mysteriously smoky, with the wonderfully floury, powdery, vanilic heliotrope dominating throughout. I very much enjoy the fragrance even if I know that the ingredients are some of the least expensive available in the fragrance industry, and this fragrance's unfortunate name and barely existent campaign makes it a likely candidate for being promptly forgotten by Givenchy and its customers in the near future. So, that said, if you enjoy it, you should probably pick it up now while you still can. I'd be very surprised if they keep it on the market for very long. My bottle was a spontaneous and cherished gift, and I'm very glad I have it.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I acquired a sample of Givenchy's Dahlia Noir and am enjoying it very much! The note descriptions didn't give much in the way of an idea as to what it smelled like - "rose vapour, peach milk, iris powder and precious/sacred woods" - adding to the vagueness of those notes are the fact that the dahlia flower has no smell. But I suspected it would be a non-sweet, 'dark' autumn/winter type of fragrance which is appealing to me, so I hunted down a sample.

Dahlia Noir reminds me of Magie Noir (Lancome) before it was reformulated. If you enjoy a deep, sexy, non-sweet fragrance that isn't too strong (thankfully, no terrible blast of too much sillage) you may enjoy this. I found the lasting power (though subtle) was definitely there and my coat definitely smelled of Dahlia Noir for a few days afterwards.

The price is high, which is discouraging for someone like me on a budget. The bottle itself is a minimalist modernistic style, which would look nice on anyone's dresser in their fragrance collection.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Iris and tonka bean usually are powdery notes, or they can mimic powder somewhat. I'm sure it's not powdery on everyone, but it's often hard for the nose to tell what note is what. It does make me think of Prada Candy, which also smells like a powdery candy iris instead of caramel. Upon coming to the conclusion that both were powdery, I went online to try to find some reviews or other opinions. All I read was people were convinced Candy was like caramel, and this was just powder. I think there's more to it than just that. It needs more testing.

I am going through a bit of trial and error with fragrances right now, and this didn't make the cut. I ordered a sample of this because it sounded to me like a different kind of floral, but I should have read the reviews more carefully. Clearly, this is a more powdery type of scent, which I hate hate hate. Good thing was it was only a sample vial and I didn't have to return something I had purchased. Onto my next fragrance adventure!

on 3/19/2012 1:50:00 PM

This scent is clearly powdery mixed with floral tones. So having said that it's a matter of taste. Personally i absolutely love these powdery-floral scents, i find them so feminine!
They don't feel like "BAM that woman is wearing perfume", but rather , that's how a woman should naturally smell, if that makes any sense!

I create a picture in my head: a girl just had a bath with an expensive soap, then wore some powder on her cleavage and flowers on her head..... that's how she would smell!! Hahahaha i'm weird like that, i create pictures in my head when it comes to perfumes!

To sum it up i absolutely love this perfume, but i don't know if i would repurchase , mainly because of the price and partly because my boyfriend makes fun of me saying that , while it smells amazing, he could help me create the same effect by putting some baby powder on my buttocks...LOL !

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

To me, Dahlia Noir EDP is altogether lovely... At first, I wasn't sure if I'd like it because it is classified as a "chypre floral" perfume and "chypres" typically turn me off. At first spray, DN kind of smells like Elie Saab EDT (nice), but then segues into it's own creamy, sexy, classy uniqueness (even nicer). In a perfume world full of wildly complex notes, I can sincerely appreciate how with Dahlia Noir, such simple basic notes combine into something reallly special. (Dahlia Noir's Published Notes: --TOP: Mimosa, Rose-- --HEART: Iris, Powdery Notes -- --BASE: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean-) For me, this will be a year-round scent. (big plus)... This perfume puts Givenchy back on my dresser. Givenchy gave me my very first favorite perfume back in the late 80s (Ysatis) and then another in the mid-90s (Amarige). Of late, however, I had become disillusioned with Parfums Givenchy. It had been many years since they produced a perfume that I really liked, although Givenchy's Ange o Demon came close.. As for Dahlia Noir... *Perfume Love*.... I think I'll be reaching for this one often, and after so many years given my history with Givenchy, it's nice to finally add one back to the top of my current perfume collection. 5-lippies!

on 8/19/2012 11:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This one didn't work for me, so put me in the argh argh argh category on it. On my skin it's a sweet, powdery floral with a sharpness that is probably the edge of the citrus hitting the sandalwood. It dries down to the same thing: Sweet powder and a sharp, alcoholic woody edge. Actually rather awful. Good for those who can wear it, but on me, it was a disaster.

on 9/1/2012 4:01:00 PM

I don't think this is hugely popular, but I like it. My husband didn't hate it, but was unimpressed: of the EdP he said: "It smells like someone used perfume, washed it off, and then covered themselves with baby powder." The EdT was: "The perfume used before they had a wash and used the powder." I think it's a pretty, powdery, woodsy-musk scent.
It's not pushy, it's easy to wear. Powder and musk are prominent and I'm not sure whether perfumistas will find it different or distinctive. I'd say it's an everyday fragrance that's nevertheless pretty enough for a formal occasion, with a similar versatility to Chanel Beige and Chanel Chance. Not that I'm comparing the three, but I feel these scents can be worn pretty much anywhere without people thinking it's overkill.
The EdP of Dahlia Noir is the version I prefer, because the citrus notes in the top of the EdT are too much for my taste. EdT fades quite quickly, the EdP has better longevity. The dry downs of both EdT and EdP are sort of similar (the citrus note in the EdT persists well into the dry down and becomes nicer, less in-your-face) but on first spray they smell like different perfumes because the citrus really is a standout note that's missing from the EdP.
The EdP has a lovely, powdery sandalwood note that gets on well with the musk. I don't get a pink pepper note (listed in some 'official ingredients' lists) which is a good thing because these days the smell is overused. There's a nondescript, dry-ish floral, and the vanilla-tonka is nice and warm but not too cloying -- the base also is quite dry.
It's a quiet and classy scent, soft and pretty. I think it smells very feminine - and the biggest selling points for me are: it's unobtrusive, not too sweet and I like soft musk / powder. I'd buy it if it was on sale and wear it sparingly -- because the beauty of this one is subtlety. The musk is not as sexy as the one in NR EdT and it isn't as rosy/floral a scent as NR EdP. But if you want a gentle, woodsy-musky scent, you could do a lot worse.
The name Dahlia Noir is wrong: it's not 'noir' at all, it's more the colour of the perfume itself -- pale pink, kind of the same pink of the Narciso Rodriguez EdP bottle. For some reason it reminds me of pink silk French knickers, edged in cream lace -- or a slinky, sexy, pink silk dress worn with very little underneath! ; )

Popular Fragrances