NARS Rue bonaparte

NARS Rue bonaparte
image 1image 2image 3

3.8

This is the perfect nude liner for my waterline. I am an nc20-25 skintone and it looks very natural. I don't use this product everyday as I feel it makes the eyes pop too much for daytime and it ends up looking fake for me, but when I'm doing an evening darker eye look, especially one with lots of lashes, this brightens and opens my eyes sooo nicely! I don't like to line my waterline with black because while my eyes are pretty big, they're a little on the droopy side and I need to work with my eyeshadow and liner to avoid the droop looking obvious and making me look tired.
To use this I apply before I do any shadow on my lower lid and before the lower lid mascara because I find if I apply it after these 2 steps as a finishing touch it ends up looking too obvious and fake. If applied before undereye shadow and mascara (but after doing your normal shadow on the lid and upper lid mascara) it just looks so natural and bright. It also lasts a long time, if I am going out drinking for a few hours in the evening it lasts pretty well the whole time, and it lasts fairly well even when I'm working late night serving shifts for 9 hours. Great color and lasting power, highly recommend!

on 2/23/2015 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

My HG eyeliner I use it everyday it's color is perfect for inside eye and it gives a natural look, "doesn't shouts I'm here" like white eyeliner. It's expensive but I love it.

To Read all 41 Reviews, Login or Join

This has been a staple in my makeup bag for years now....it really natural brightens and widens my almost-hooded lids, and it is super subtle. I use this on clients all the time.

on 4/5/2014 9:29:00 PM

I wanted to love this liner so badly, but I just couldn’t. I was looking for a great flesh-toned liner to brighten the inner rims of my eyes. I had tried Stila’s Kajal liner in Topaz previously, however that was too pink-toned for me. Rue Bonaparte is a great color, very neutral and close to my own skin color. The liner itself is a bit hard, it is mildly uncomfortable to line the water line with, but I would look past that if it had longevity. Unfortunately, this liner only lasts about two hours in my waterline before it starts to fade and disappear. It is very expensive ($28 CAD), and for the price I expected more. I returned it to Sephora and wouldn’t recommend it.

UPDATE: I have changed my review from 2 lippies to 3 lippies, the more I use this liner the softer and more comfortable it becomes to line my water line. With the improved texture, I seem to get longer wear out of it. I like this liner, but it is still extremely expensive and I won't repurchase it.

Prefer this color over white liner. It must be reapplied throughout day. It is also difficult to remove what remains at the end of the day even with eye makeup remover. Price is ridiculous. The search continues...

on 2/26/2014 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My friend is a makeup artist and decided to do my makeup one day. I told her my eyes get watery easily and she told me this pencil should work since it's meant for the water line and is water proof/resistant. Boy was she proven wrong.. This did not last on my waterline. Rubbed off in less than a minute.. My eyes are watery, especially when I am applying makeup. But this is supposed to be for the waterline which means it should be able to last longer than it did..

This was a very expensive eyeliner...and at the time it was one of the only nude eyeliners for the waterline. I should have saved my money.
The eyeliner was $27.. it tugs and it's very hard to work with. I tried to heat the tip of the liner to make it smoother and it just made it harder and fall off when i used it.
I should have waited longer to try a new liner like when rimmel came out with the scandal eyes liner in nude for 6 dollars.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Not impressed. I bought it for the waterline. No staying power, color looked odd in my waterline :( med olive skin for ref...maybe it would work for lighter skin tones?

on 4/11/2013 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

love the twist up/no sharpening & the fact that its a better shade than stark white, so 2 lippies for that...but returned this today. i found a much better inner rim liner in Rimmel's Scandaleyes in Nude! it lasts longer than Nars (nars had zero staying power on me) and is wayyy cheaper-i paid $3.00 at target (vs $24.50 at sephora for the nars!). its a bit more peachy than the nars and not as bright but it will do. rimmels version takes care of the job better!

on 3/27/2013 11:30:00 AM

For the color and effect it is worth repurchasing. The packaging is cheap and the plastic end broke from dropping it on the floor, so now it looks really cheap. But I like the goldish color which is way more natural than the white liners. It covers reddness and is a subtle highlight. Its not top of my list of must-have-always items, it wouldn't be awful to not have on hand. But its a nice extra and I would eventually repurchase if I ran out. Unless I found out there is a cheaper dupe. Its also smooth and I have no irritation and it doesn't bother me one bit to apply to my waterline.