Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

4.9

Water, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Arginine, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Quaternium-33, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Ci 42090/Blue 1, Ci 17200/Red 33.

on 1/5/2015 12:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Decent hair mask. I have very thick, wavy, virgin hair and this product gives me nice slip, moisturizes, makes it shiny and soft. It also tames my frizz which is really great. Smells nice, not too overwhelming. I will definitely repurchase.

on 8/22/2014 9:29:00 AM

I bought this mask based on MUA reviews, and I'm very glad that I did. This is a fantastic product and really serious stuff, which is suitable for thick, coarse and really damaged hair as well, not just normal or slightly damaged/dry, as most products are (in spite of the marketing claims).
This is a protein treatment, and the third protein treatment that I've tried. Joico K-Pak didn't really do anything to my hair, and Kerastase's green line (Bain Force Architecte and the Age Recharge Mask) strengthened my hair but also made it very greasy in no time.
This product has an immediate strengthening effect, and helps my hair stay fresh even longer than my favorite products do. I like to use this mask together with the matching shampoo, but I've found that just the mask in itself already lengthens the time between hair washes.

There are a lot of warnings about protein treatments. A lot of reviewers say that those with dry hair shouldn't use them, because they will only make the matter worse. But I think hardly anyone knows if their hair is damaged or dry. For example, I have been dying my hair for more than 10 years now (on a monthly basis), because I started to go grey very early. Now almost 100% of my hair is grey, so obviously 'old', weak and damaged from dying. But it has never been bleached, and is hardly ever heat styled. Being wavy and coarse it is obviously dry, moreover, very dry.

So now, should you be afraid of a protein treatment? I think no, at least not in this case. The majority of the reviewers experienced good results, and a lot of them must have dry hair rather than damaged. You can try using this mask once a week or in rotation with a protein-free moisturizing treatment, or if you have time, you can use both: first this, then the moisturizer. I've used it in itself and also together with Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm or Macadamia Natural Oil Mask. It worked really well either way. It has a plastic cherry smell, which I don't particularly find pleasant, but this product has such great benefits, that I won't complain about that.

on 11/18/2013 10:56:00 AM

Just used it for the first time and I already know, that I Love it!!!
I put it on for an hour with shower cap(sexy) and when I rinsed it off, My hair. Was like made of silk!I really really really hope, that I found finally my HG product and I can grow my hair!
will come back for an update for sure!
I will be using in alternate with L'Oreal EverRiche shampoo and deep repair mask, when it runs out I purchase the All Soft range-never used.
Also having the matching shampoo and Anti snap leave in.

Hair History:
Original color is a medium dark ashy blonde, fine, but have a lot of it. Constantly bleaching to platinum blonde, it means root touch ups in every 4weeks. Although my hair is in an ok condition, what I'm doing with it, cannot grow below my shoulder, because snapping off.
Oily scalp, need to wash every other day.
Tried millions of products, like Kerastase,Tigi,L'Oreal Professional,Revlon Professional, Schwarzkopf Prof.,No Inhibition-the salon keratin treatment also,MilkShake,Bain de terre,Macadamia,Lee. Stafford,Philip Kingsley,Klorane, Phyto etc.
So basically almost every salon and drugstore brand.

I couldnt make up my mind whether i liked this hair treatment. My hair is damaged by heat so wanted to gain some strength. I followed the instructions and applied to towel dried hair and left on for about 15 mins. When I rinsed out and dried my hair I didn't notice any imminent results. However after using once a week for about a month can feel that my hair is stronger and fuller and looks healthy.
This product doesn't make your hair soft so it may be worth using an light oil before drying. You only need a small amount applied to the ends of your hair. Will repurchase :)

on 2/1/2013 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff literally saved my hair in one use. I bought it this afternoon, came straight home, and used this stuff after shampooing. The shampoo wasn't even one that clarifies, yet my hair drank this stuff up as if nothing else had been on it for ages. That's how strong and deeply penetrating it is. For the record, the past month or so has wreaked hell on my hair, and my mother has let me know at every turn how unhealthy it looks. For the first time in a while, after using this product ONCE, she just told me my hair looks healthy! If these are the kind of results I get in a rushed application, I can't wait to see what happens when I actually clarify!

Now a staple in my treatment collection!

P.S. I find this product needs a deep conditioner afterwards. Like most protein treatments, it's meant to make hair stronger, not softer. You still need something to moisturize your newly thickened tresses after using this product. I also recommend using a rather strong shampoo so as to remove build-up and allow the product to sink even further than it would if you were using a standard sulfate/paraben free, non-clarifying shampoo. It will work if you don't, but the results will definitely be enhanced if you do.

Redken, you are my savior!

UPDATE: Alright guys, I've been using this stuff for around 3 weeks now; still getting incredible results! I can sort of liken this to fine wine; it gets better as you go. My hair feels better after every use, no joke. Personally I've found that what works best for me is to clarify beforehand (I use B&B Sunday Shampoo), then get enough of the ESBP to saturate all of my hair, comb it through, and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing. Then, I follow up with the Pureology HydraCure mask to restore moisture and create balance. This whole process is working so well for me, I can sense that healthy, virgin-like hair is just around the corner with continued use!

UPDATE: I can't even believe how well this stuff works you guys, it's been just a little over a month since I started using it. My hair is in that awkward regrowth stage where it can be hair commercial worthy one day and like a brillo pad the next, so when I'm in brillo pad mode I just use this maybe twice a week and all of the damage seems like it disappears. The best part is that it's been almost two months and I'm not even a fourth of the way through the container yet - definitely worth the money! Forever love <3

This is a great product! I have bleached fine and thin hair. Whenever I run a comb through it, I get shedding and my ends are prone to snapping. I use this mask about once a week and it has really helped with the shedding and my ends are much stronger. It also makes your hair look healthy. The best way to use this, is in the shower after you've shampooed, is to get a towel and get the most water out of your hair as possible. I put it up in a turban for a minute or so- a turbie twist would work great. Then I get about a handful and really saturate my hair with it, I comb it through with a wide toothed comb, and then put on a shower cap, to heat it up for the rest of the shower, I will shave and wash then rinse at the end. I think the trick is to get as much water out of your hair, so it can really penetrate.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Like the reviewer below me, I have oily hair at the scalp, but it's also thin and fine and prone to breakage. It's medium brown and I like highlighting the hell out of it!

The damage from lightening and blow drying, straightening via iron and keratin took it's toll on my hair, so this summer I chopped off a good chunk to chin length and started using this product to repair what was there and started a foundation for future colouring.

Glad I did! My hair is silky now (was coarse prior to using this) and shiny. It feels good. My husband was never one to run his hands through my hair but now he likes too. Styling is the same but I feel I get smoother results.

The true test will be time as I just started lightening/highlighting my hair again. But if this product lives up to it's promises then hopefully I won't have to chop off my hair again next summer to start fresh!

**UPDATE**- started highlighting my hair again about a month ago and...... still impressed. I use it every day as a daily conditioner and then 1x a week as a treatment. My hair is finally looking good! continued >>

on 8/16/2011 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Redken's website mentions this particular product from its Extreme line as containing the highest concentration of their protein reconstructing blend, so, liking the Extreme shampoo, CAT treatment, and conditioner already, I skipped over the Extreme Strength Builder and went right for the Plus. I'm glad I did. I'm sure it will work differently for different people. The argument over these products always seems to be whether or not they require conditioning afterwards. As for me, I've used Strength Builder Plus for a week now and it's worked for me as both a protein treatment and a conditioner, and left my hair shinier, softer, and in better shape every time I use it. I like the smell; it smells like the rest of Redken's products, not "chemically" at all, as others have claimed, at least not to me. I dislike the jar it comes in, as it's hard to use with wet hands in the shower, but I love the product, and the different packaging does serve the purpose of differentiating the two products from each other, which otherwise seem so similar, so I understand why Redken chose a jar packaging for their stronger formulation. Overall, I highly recommend this. I have yet to be truly disappointed by any of the Redken Extreme products I've tried so far, and using them together has improved the condition of my hair massively. I never thought there would be a line that would so completely fit the needs of my particular hair type, which is extremely oily at the scalp, yet dry, thin, and breakage-prone on the ends. The whole line has kept my hair both looking wonderful and in great shape. (Most everything else I've tried has either made my hair greasy and flat, or else stripped it and tore it up.) All in all, I love the shampoo and this mask the most. With the results it's given me, I'll still give it 5 lippies despite the difficult packaging.