Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

4.5

Water, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Arginine, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Quaternium-33, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Ci 42090/Blue 1, Ci 17200/Red 33.

on 9/25/2016 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Once I read the ingredients, II feared this mask might leave my hair dry because it has isopropyl alcohol. However, a friend of mine pointed out that this was added probably as a binder for other ingredients and might not have this effect. This mask also has a lot of protein so if you're protein sensitive, this is definitely not a good choice for you. This said, however, this mask left my hair unbelievably soft, hydrated, silky and shiny, much to my surprise and delight. I left in on for several hours and used heat for about 20 minutes. The directions say to leave it on for a short period of time (just a few minutes in fact) but I figured longer was better. My hair does love protein so I usually do a protein treatment once a month and supplement with a protein leave in (Salerm 21) on occasion. I also use a protein rich shampoo and conditioner, either Pureology Strength Cure or Perfect 4 Platinum once every two weeks or so. It seems that no amount of protein is too much for my hair and it never makes my hair dry or brittle like it can for many others. When I do an intensive protein treatment, I also use Olaplex 1 and 2 then follow these treatments with a hydrating protein free mask. However, this Extreme mask combines a protein treatment with much needed hydration so I can whittle down the steps that follow the Olaplex steps to just one product, this Extreme mask. It smells really nice, although the scent doesn't linger. It also doesn't weigh my hair down, but I do rinse for 4-5 minutes, just to make sure the product is completely out of my hair. I usually let my hair air dry overnight and that's what I did after using this mask. The next morning, my hair was very moisturized and healthy looking and it did have a nice amount of shine. The effects of this mask lasted for about a week and then I did Olaplex step 2, like I do weekly, followed by the Extreme mask. I really like everything about this mask. It doesn't take much to totally saturate my hair and I think that leaving it on for as long as possible is beneficial, although I haven't tried using it for just a few minutes, you never know, it could be just as great. I found that the isopropyl alcohol had no effect on my results whatsoever so obviously this ingredient is beneficial chemically. I truly think this is one of the best mask I've tried in quite some time. I will say again that my hair loves protein. I always get smoother, shinier hair when I use a protein treatment. I do have color treated,highlighted hair and heat style several times a week so dryness is always an issue as is damage. The strengthening effects of protein and Olaplex are insurance against breakage, as is a great thermal protectant. I will be using this mask when I do steps 1 and 2 of Olaplex because it saves me a third step by combining protein with great hydration. This mask is also fairly priced at $17.50 and it will last a good long while because it doesn't take much to do the job. I love it when I find a product that saves me time and when it delivers great results. I have both in this Extreme mask. I'm not a big Redken fan and truthfully ordered this mask to get free shipping from Ulta. However, I'm not returning this product like i planned to. I'm so glad I decided to try it rather than returning it unused. It's really a fantastic mask and great for occasional protein treatments. In combining protein with hydration, this mask delivers it all: soft, moisturized, silky, shiny hair. That's really all I'm asking for and with this product, I definitely got all I really wanted.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this - i have extremely damaged hair from years of bleaching and this is the forst thing in forever that has made my hair feel soft. I have only been using it for a while so as to whether it has stopped breakage im not 100% sure. It is expensive as is every other Redken product but its worth it. I would prefer it wasn't in a pot but apart from that A+. I would highly recommend for those who have bleached hair

on 1/5/2015 12:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Decent hair mask. I have very thick, wavy, virgin hair and this product gives me nice slip, moisturizes, makes it shiny and soft. It also tames my frizz which is really great. Smells nice, not too overwhelming. I will definitely repurchase.

on 10/7/2014 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I am hardly a hair connoisseur. I have never dyed, bleached, permed, or treated my hair in anyway. But I work outside and have naturally fine (but very thick) hair that's prone to dryness and breakage.

This product used as a mask adds noticable weight and strength to my hair. The only bad part, if it touches my scalp I get big painful welts! Great product but my skin hates it.

on 9/25/2014 11:45:00 PM

This product is a miracle, seriously after one use my damaged, fine, incredibly thick and wavy bleached hair was stronger and shinier, and unlike most other protein based treatments, this didn't dry out my hair or need to be followed up with an intensive conditioner BUT I think it should come with a warning. I am not protein sensitive, I have never had any food/product allergies previously but this product and all redken products I have thus far tried have caused me to break out in hives and have a full on allergic reaction! Some research led me to discover that others have had similar reactions to redken products, even anaphylactic responses which are potentially fatal. I am so upset to be honest because nothing has worked so well on my hair, and I've tried matrix, joico ect. I would suggest testing this product first and if you have allergies discontinue immediately, but if you don't it will simultaneously strengthen and hydrate your hair, THE HG product for any bleach-heads out there.

on 2/1/2013 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff literally saved my hair in one use. I bought it this afternoon, came straight home, and used this stuff after shampooing. The shampoo wasn't even one that clarifies, yet my hair drank this stuff up as if nothing else had been on it for ages. That's how strong and deeply penetrating it is. For the record, the past month or so has wreaked hell on my hair, and my mother has let me know at every turn how unhealthy it looks. For the first time in a while, after using this product ONCE, she just told me my hair looks healthy! If these are the kind of results I get in a rushed application, I can't wait to see what happens when I actually clarify!

Now a staple in my treatment collection!

P.S. I find this product needs a deep conditioner afterwards. Like most protein treatments, it's meant to make hair stronger, not softer. You still need something to moisturize your newly thickened tresses after using this product. I also recommend using a rather strong shampoo so as to remove build-up and allow the product to sink even further than it would if you were using a standard sulfate/paraben free, non-clarifying shampoo. It will work if you don't, but the results will definitely be enhanced if you do.

Redken, you are my savior!

UPDATE: Alright guys, I've been using this stuff for around 3 weeks now; still getting incredible results! I can sort of liken this to fine wine; it gets better as you go. My hair feels better after every use, no joke. Personally I've found that what works best for me is to clarify beforehand (I use B&B Sunday Shampoo), then get enough of the ESBP to saturate all of my hair, comb it through, and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing. Then, I follow up with the Pureology HydraCure mask to restore moisture and create balance. This whole process is working so well for me, I can sense that healthy, virgin-like hair is just around the corner with continued use!

UPDATE: I can't even believe how well this stuff works you guys, it's been just a little over a month since I started using it. My hair is in that awkward regrowth stage where it can be hair commercial worthy one day and like a brillo pad the next, so when I'm in brillo pad mode I just use this maybe twice a week and all of the damage seems like it disappears. The best part is that it's been almost two months and I'm not even a fourth of the way through the container yet - definitely worth the money! Forever love <3

on 12/9/2012 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

A great protein treatment. It adds strength, shine and volume to my hair.

This is a great product! I have bleached fine and thin hair. Whenever I run a comb through it, I get shedding and my ends are prone to snapping. I use this mask about once a week and it has really helped with the shedding and my ends are much stronger. It also makes your hair look healthy. The best way to use this, is in the shower after you've shampooed, is to get a towel and get the most water out of your hair as possible. I put it up in a turban for a minute or so- a turbie twist would work great. Then I get about a handful and really saturate my hair with it, I comb it through with a wide toothed comb, and then put on a shower cap, to heat it up for the rest of the shower, I will shave and wash then rinse at the end. I think the trick is to get as much water out of your hair, so it can really penetrate.