Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

4.6

Water, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Arginine, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Quaternium-33, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Ci 42090/Blue 1, Ci 17200/Red 33.

on 9/25/2016 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Once I read the ingredients, II feared this mask might leave my hair dry because it has isopropyl alcohol. However, a friend of mine pointed out that this was added probably as a binder for other ingredients and might not have this effect. This mask also has a lot of protein so if you're protein sensitive, this is definitely not a good choice for you. This said, however, this mask left my hair unbelievably soft, hydrated, silky and shiny, much to my surprise and delight. I left in on for several hours and used heat for about 20 minutes. The directions say to leave it on for a short period of time (just a few minutes in fact) but I figured longer was better. My hair does love protein so I usually do a protein treatment once a month and supplement with a protein leave in (Salerm 21) on occasion. I also use a protein rich shampoo and conditioner, either Pureology Strength Cure or Perfect 4 Platinum once every two weeks or so. It seems that no amount of protein is too much for my hair and it never makes my hair dry or brittle like it can for many others. When I do an intensive protein treatment, I also use Olaplex 1 and 2 then follow these treatments with a hydrating protein free mask. However, this Extreme mask combines a protein treatment with much needed hydration so I can whittle down the steps that follow the Olaplex steps to just one product, this Extreme mask. It smells really nice, although the scent doesn't linger. It also doesn't weigh my hair down, but I do rinse for 4-5 minutes, just to make sure the product is completely out of my hair. I usually let my hair air dry overnight and that's what I did after using this mask. The next morning, my hair was very moisturized and healthy looking and it did have a nice amount of shine. The effects of this mask lasted for about a week and then I did Olaplex step 2, like I do weekly, followed by the Extreme mask. I really like everything about this mask. It doesn't take much to totally saturate my hair and I think that leaving it on for as long as possible is beneficial, although I haven't tried using it for just a few minutes, you never know, it could be just as great. I found that the isopropyl alcohol had no effect on my results whatsoever so obviously this ingredient is beneficial chemically. I truly think this is one of the best mask I've tried in quite some time. I will say again that my hair loves protein. I always get smoother, shinier hair when I use a protein treatment. I do have color treated,highlighted hair and heat style several times a week so dryness is always an issue as is damage. The strengthening effects of protein and Olaplex are insurance against breakage, as is a great thermal protectant. I will be using this mask when I do steps 1 and 2 of Olaplex because it saves me a third step by combining protein with great hydration. This mask is also fairly priced at $17.50 and it will last a good long while because it doesn't take much to do the job. I love it when I find a product that saves me time and when it delivers great results. I have both in this Extreme mask. I'm not a big Redken fan and truthfully ordered this mask to get free shipping from Ulta. However, I'm not returning this product like i planned to. I'm so glad I decided to try it rather than returning it unused. It's really a fantastic mask and great for occasional protein treatments. In combining protein with hydration, this mask delivers it all: soft, moisturized, silky, shiny hair. That's really all I'm asking for and with this product, I definitely got all I really wanted.

O-M-G! This is my holy grail in my hair routine! You will seriously notice a difference after first use. But, don't over use it. I use this once/twice a week and after only three times I noticed that my hair breaks a lot less and now I have barely any breakage. My hair used to be sooooo CRAZY RUINED, but now, after three months I love my hair again - thanks to Redken Extreme!

I had to cut off a little length due to it being complete chewing gum, but this series saved my hair and I will recommend this to anyone that has ruined their hair from bleaching.

Seriously, buy this is if you're looking for something to save your hair. You won't regret it! And even though my hair is great, I am still in the prosess to go from medium blonde to platinum, so I will continue to use this for a long time! (I went from Black and am now a medium blonde after only three months. Not weird my hair couldn't take it..)

on 5/10/2016 9:39:00 AM

I purchased this product because of all the wonderful reviews here on makeupalley, and I am happy I did. My hair needed conditioning and treatment after bleaching, and this product provided all of that. I use it once (sometimes twice) a week, and follow with a moisturising mask (joico k-pak), because redken mask is a protein mask, it does not provide a lot of hydration. And oh, even after one use hair is amazing, definitely would recommend for someone, who needs to restore their hairs health, after bleaching or using a lot of heat. On my second bottle now, and will keep buying

on 2/18/2016 5:41:00 AM

It makes your hair really soft. It's also very good at repairing damaged hair. But it you don't have damaged hair you should be careful with applying to much, because it can make your hair look sort of dull and greasy if you apply to much.

on 12/3/2015 10:06:00 PM

All I can say is WOW. I have been a stylist for 4 years and have never really played around with Resken products until recently. My coworker and I lightened my jet black hair that had previously had been colored red for many moons to a level 7 in one go. We lightened my hair twice with 40 volume with olaplex (which saved my hair) and needless to say my hair wasn't too happy. I have been growing out my natural hair color doimg regular olaplex, k pak, and coconut oil treatments which helped immensely but felt something was missing. Then I come across this mask. All I can say is wow. I cowashed, did an apple cider vinegar rinse, then applied this, and followed with gold well dualsenses green for extra hydration. I followed with my Mizani supreme oil, and Redken anti snap. My hair feels like absolute silk! I will be promptly giving my k pak to my sister!!

My hair has been long all of my life, except for a few years in the recent past while I dated a corporate attorney dipshit who subjected me to his hair salon fetish. Weekly visits to whatever ubersalon had captured his fancy made my hair shorter and shorter, and more and more damaged. When I extricated myself, I was hard-pressed to repair both my mane and my means simultaneously. I needed to get with the best products at the best price, and I wasn't going to waste money or time.

This stuff did the trick! The three jars I purchased from Ulta lasted me the better part of a year. By then, my trashed, overtrimmed tresses had grown to bra-strap length, and I was feeling like myself again.

Fast forward to the present: I still use this stuff daily, as the main leg of my hair routine triumvirate (along with the accompanying shampoo and leave-in treatment product).
My hair is almost to the top of my jeans, and my salon visits are limited to annual balayage at Phoebe Therese.

To summarize: I found this product to be extremely effective in facilitating my hair-length goals in a timely and cost-effective manner. I continue to use it daily, and I recommend it unequivocally. Like duh, it totally rocks!

This product is an absolute life saver. I have thick wavy extremely bleached hair, and have done so for more than 3 years. I was sick of buying argan oils, keratin treatments that would do nothing to my hair. I pair this mask with the matching shampoo and conditioner and after the first wash and treatment my hair literally felt 100 times better. It smells amazing and keeps moisture in and lasts a few days!

on 10/7/2014 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I am hardly a hair connoisseur. I have never dyed, bleached, permed, or treated my hair in anyway. But I work outside and have naturally fine (but very thick) hair that's prone to dryness and breakage.

This product used as a mask adds noticable weight and strength to my hair. The only bad part, if it touches my scalp I get big painful welts! Great product but my skin hates it.

It was okay at first I did not know what to expect, had a bleaching accident to the point where my hair is stringy like a rubber band, it's color was gray/silver which I finally manage after various attempts it was awesome but the down side was that I made it super thin and elastic. This product did nothing to my hair. Left it on for a length bit testing out times, from 5 minutes to 15 to 20 to 30 even an hr but no luck. I am sure if hair is not damaged as mine I am sure it will work wonders but to my damaged hair it did nothing.

on 8/22/2014 9:29:00 AM

I bought this mask based on MUA reviews, and I'm very glad that I did. This is a fantastic product and really serious stuff, which is suitable for thick, coarse and really damaged hair as well, not just normal or slightly damaged/dry, as most products are (in spite of the marketing claims).
This is a protein treatment, and the third protein treatment that I've tried. Joico K-Pak didn't really do anything to my hair, and Kerastase's green line (Bain Force Architecte and the Age Recharge Mask) strengthened my hair but also made it very greasy in no time.
This product has an immediate strengthening effect, and helps my hair stay fresh even longer than my favorite products do. I like to use this mask together with the matching shampoo, but I've found that just the mask in itself already lengthens the time between hair washes.

There are a lot of warnings about protein treatments. A lot of reviewers say that those with dry hair shouldn't use them, because they will only make the matter worse. But I think hardly anyone knows if their hair is damaged or dry. For example, I have been dying my hair for more than 10 years now (on a monthly basis), because I started to go grey very early. Now almost 100% of my hair is grey, so obviously 'old', weak and damaged from dying. But it has never been bleached, and is hardly ever heat styled. Being wavy and coarse it is obviously dry, moreover, very dry.

So now, should you be afraid of a protein treatment? I think no, at least not in this case. The majority of the reviewers experienced good results, and a lot of them must have dry hair rather than damaged. You can try using this mask once a week or in rotation with a protein-free moisturizing treatment, or if you have time, you can use both: first this, then the moisturizer. I've used it in itself and also together with Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm or Macadamia Natural Oil Mask. It worked really well either way. It has a plastic cherry smell, which I don't particularly find pleasant, but this product has such great benefits, that I won't complain about that.