Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

4.6

Water, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Arginine, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Quaternium-33, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Ci 42090/Blue 1, Ci 17200/Red 33.

on 2/1/2013 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This stuff literally saved my hair in one use. I bought it this afternoon, came straight home, and used this stuff after shampooing. The shampoo wasn't even one that clarifies, yet my hair drank this stuff up as if nothing else had been on it for ages. That's how strong and deeply penetrating it is. For the record, the past month or so has wreaked hell on my hair, and my mother has let me know at every turn how unhealthy it looks. For the first time in a while, after using this product ONCE, she just told me my hair looks healthy! If these are the kind of results I get in a rushed application, I can't wait to see what happens when I actually clarify!

Now a staple in my treatment collection!

P.S. I find this product needs a deep conditioner afterwards. Like most protein treatments, it's meant to make hair stronger, not softer. You still need something to moisturize your newly thickened tresses after using this product. I also recommend using a rather strong shampoo so as to remove build-up and allow the product to sink even further than it would if you were using a standard sulfate/paraben free, non-clarifying shampoo. It will work if you don't, but the results will definitely be enhanced if you do.

Redken, you are my savior!

UPDATE: Alright guys, I've been using this stuff for around 3 weeks now; still getting incredible results! I can sort of liken this to fine wine; it gets better as you go. My hair feels better after every use, no joke. Personally I've found that what works best for me is to clarify beforehand (I use B&B Sunday Shampoo), then get enough of the ESBP to saturate all of my hair, comb it through, and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing. Then, I follow up with the Pureology HydraCure mask to restore moisture and create balance. This whole process is working so well for me, I can sense that healthy, virgin-like hair is just around the corner with continued use!

UPDATE: I can't even believe how well this stuff works you guys, it's been just a little over a month since I started using it. My hair is in that awkward regrowth stage where it can be hair commercial worthy one day and like a brillo pad the next, so when I'm in brillo pad mode I just use this maybe twice a week and all of the damage seems like it disappears. The best part is that it's been almost two months and I'm not even a fourth of the way through the container yet - definitely worth the money! Forever love <3

This is a great product! I have bleached fine and thin hair. Whenever I run a comb through it, I get shedding and my ends are prone to snapping. I use this mask about once a week and it has really helped with the shedding and my ends are much stronger. It also makes your hair look healthy. The best way to use this, is in the shower after you've shampooed, is to get a towel and get the most water out of your hair as possible. I put it up in a turban for a minute or so- a turbie twist would work great. Then I get about a handful and really saturate my hair with it, I comb it through with a wide toothed comb, and then put on a shower cap, to heat it up for the rest of the shower, I will shave and wash then rinse at the end. I think the trick is to get as much water out of your hair, so it can really penetrate.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have never written a review on anything but I was compelled to review this product, it blew me away. I had fried, bleached blonde, straw like hair with tonnes of breakage and in desperation I turned to this product, which I now believe is the holy grail for bleached blonde hair. I have fine, straight hair and bleach it platinum so I can't speak for any other hair type but after using it, I am literally stopped in my tracks when I pass by a mirror, it is shining like glass. My hair looks like virgin hair and the lovely platinum colour looks revived as well. It has really improved the overall integrity of the hair and it's very hard to see any breakage after only the first time I used it. I think it is advised to use it twice a week until the damage is completely repaired then once a week, then probably once a month to maintain it. Best conditioning treatment I've ever used, it's as good as any professional treatment.

*I used it on towel dried hair and covered with plastic wrap for 15 minutes and rinsed it repeatedly. I should also add, like other posters below found, this product builds strength not softness which I did notice so I added a little of my regular argan oil for moisture before blow drying. Other posters have recommended a clarifying shampoo before use to help it penetrate which I will also be trying next time. Enjoy.

on 9/25/2016 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Once I read the ingredients, II feared this mask might leave my hair dry because it has isopropyl alcohol. However, a friend of mine pointed out that this was added probably as a binder for other ingredients and might not have this effect. This mask also has a lot of protein so if you're protein sensitive, this is definitely not a good choice for you. This said, however, this mask left my hair unbelievably soft, hydrated, silky and shiny, much to my surprise and delight. I left in on for several hours and used heat for about 20 minutes. The directions say to leave it on for a short period of time (just a few minutes in fact) but I figured longer was better. My hair does love protein so I usually do a protein treatment once a month and supplement with a protein leave in (Salerm 21) on occasion. I also use a protein rich shampoo and conditioner, either Pureology Strength Cure or Perfect 4 Platinum once every two weeks or so. It seems that no amount of protein is too much for my hair and it never makes my hair dry or brittle like it can for many others. When I do an intensive protein treatment, I also use Olaplex 1 and 2 then follow these treatments with a hydrating protein free mask. However, this Extreme mask combines a protein treatment with much needed hydration so I can whittle down the steps that follow the Olaplex steps to just one product, this Extreme mask. It smells really nice, although the scent doesn't linger. It also doesn't weigh my hair down, but I do rinse for 4-5 minutes, just to make sure the product is completely out of my hair. I usually let my hair air dry overnight and that's what I did after using this mask. The next morning, my hair was very moisturized and healthy looking and it did have a nice amount of shine. The effects of this mask lasted for about a week and then I did Olaplex step 2, like I do weekly, followed by the Extreme mask. I really like everything about this mask. It doesn't take much to totally saturate my hair and I think that leaving it on for as long as possible is beneficial, although I haven't tried using it for just a few minutes, you never know, it could be just as great. I found that the isopropyl alcohol had no effect on my results whatsoever so obviously this ingredient is beneficial chemically. I truly think this is one of the best mask I've tried in quite some time. I will say again that my hair loves protein. I always get smoother, shinier hair when I use a protein treatment. I do have color treated,highlighted hair and heat style several times a week so dryness is always an issue as is damage. The strengthening effects of protein and Olaplex are insurance against breakage, as is a great thermal protectant. I will be using this mask when I do steps 1 and 2 of Olaplex because it saves me a third step by combining protein with great hydration. This mask is also fairly priced at $17.50 and it will last a good long while because it doesn't take much to do the job. I love it when I find a product that saves me time and when it delivers great results. I have both in this Extreme mask. I'm not a big Redken fan and truthfully ordered this mask to get free shipping from Ulta. However, I'm not returning this product like i planned to. I'm so glad I decided to try it rather than returning it unused. It's really a fantastic mask and great for occasional protein treatments. In combining protein with hydration, this mask delivers it all: soft, moisturized, silky, shiny hair. That's really all I'm asking for and with this product, I definitely got all I really wanted.

on 4/2/2014 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is hair repair in a jar. This product contains the penetrating palm oils, the ceramides, hydrolyzed proteins and 18-MEA needed to rebuild damaged hair. If you have fried or color damaged hair this product will be your best friend. Silicone free is also a plus so the ingredients really sink in. I think if you aren't getting the best results with this, try clarifying the hair first. If you use a silicone based shampoo you may be blocking some absorption needed to get full benefit.
I clarify then towel blot hair. Apply and leave in 30 minutes under a shower cap. I follow with a protein free conditioner and leave on 5 minutes. Result is hair so lovely I could cry.
When I am in a hurry I will just use as a regular conditioner once in a while. When I do this I only rinse 75% out and let the rest just seep into hair throughout the day. Makes hair very manageable.

I have yet to find another product on the market that contains all the ingredients this one does. Some have one or 2. This one has all needed so you truly are getting the best product possible to help work with damaged hair.

My hair has been long all of my life, except for a few years in the recent past while I dated a corporate attorney dipshit who subjected me to his hair salon fetish. Weekly visits to whatever ubersalon had captured his fancy made my hair shorter and shorter, and more and more damaged. When I extricated myself, I was hard-pressed to repair both my mane and my means simultaneously. I needed to get with the best products at the best price, and I wasn't going to waste money or time.

This stuff did the trick! The three jars I purchased from Ulta lasted me the better part of a year. By then, my trashed, overtrimmed tresses had grown to bra-strap length, and I was feeling like myself again.

Fast forward to the present: I still use this stuff daily, as the main leg of my hair routine triumvirate (along with the accompanying shampoo and leave-in treatment product).
My hair is almost to the top of my jeans, and my salon visits are limited to annual balayage at Phoebe Therese.

To summarize: I found this product to be extremely effective in facilitating my hair-length goals in a timely and cost-effective manner. I continue to use it daily, and I recommend it unequivocally. Like duh, it totally rocks!

on 8/16/2011 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Redken's website mentions this particular product from its Extreme line as containing the highest concentration of their protein reconstructing blend, so, liking the Extreme shampoo, CAT treatment, and conditioner already, I skipped over the Extreme Strength Builder and went right for the Plus. I'm glad I did. I'm sure it will work differently for different people. The argument over these products always seems to be whether or not they require conditioning afterwards. As for me, I've used Strength Builder Plus for a week now and it's worked for me as both a protein treatment and a conditioner, and left my hair shinier, softer, and in better shape every time I use it. I like the smell; it smells like the rest of Redken's products, not "chemically" at all, as others have claimed, at least not to me. I dislike the jar it comes in, as it's hard to use with wet hands in the shower, but I love the product, and the different packaging does serve the purpose of differentiating the two products from each other, which otherwise seem so similar, so I understand why Redken chose a jar packaging for their stronger formulation. Overall, I highly recommend this. I have yet to be truly disappointed by any of the Redken Extreme products I've tried so far, and using them together has improved the condition of my hair massively. I never thought there would be a line that would so completely fit the needs of my particular hair type, which is extremely oily at the scalp, yet dry, thin, and breakage-prone on the ends. The whole line has kept my hair both looking wonderful and in great shape. (Most everything else I've tried has either made my hair greasy and flat, or else stripped it and tore it up.) All in all, I love the shampoo and this mask the most. With the results it's given me, I'll still give it 5 lippies despite the difficult packaging.

This product is an absolute life saver. I have thick wavy extremely bleached hair, and have done so for more than 3 years. I was sick of buying argan oils, keratin treatments that would do nothing to my hair. I pair this mask with the matching shampoo and conditioner and after the first wash and treatment my hair literally felt 100 times better. It smells amazing and keeps moisture in and lasts a few days!

on 9/2/2014 5:36:00 AM

Omg this is a miracle in a bottle.
I bleached my hair 3 times in a week and it was so damaged to the point where I couldn't even brush it. The mid lengths of my hair wouldn't hold any toners and when wet it was a gooey chewing gum mess (not to mention when dry it was literally hard like hay) I've used this once and as soon as I starting washing it out my hair started feeling normal and believe it or not I tried purple shampoo on the ends and it actually held the colour!

I can not express how grateful I am to have found this product , it's legit the best thing I've ever gotten. It is expensive but for what it does it's so worth it. If your hairs dry or like mine a complete mess please please buy!! It saved me a lot of headaches!

on 12/3/2015 10:06:00 PM

All I can say is WOW. I have been a stylist for 4 years and have never really played around with Resken products until recently. My coworker and I lightened my jet black hair that had previously had been colored red for many moons to a level 7 in one go. We lightened my hair twice with 40 volume with olaplex (which saved my hair) and needless to say my hair wasn't too happy. I have been growing out my natural hair color doimg regular olaplex, k pak, and coconut oil treatments which helped immensely but felt something was missing. Then I come across this mask. All I can say is wow. I cowashed, did an apple cider vinegar rinse, then applied this, and followed with gold well dualsenses green for extra hydration. I followed with my Mizani supreme oil, and Redken anti snap. My hair feels like absolute silk! I will be promptly giving my k pak to my sister!!