Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by age: 36-43
Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Water, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Octyldodecanol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Arginine, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Quaternium-33, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Ci 42090/Blue 1, Ci 17200/Red 33.

My hair is untreated and I never use heat styling. Its not damaged, nor do I have split ends.
So why did I purchase this?
My hair is curly, and protein-sensitive, BUT when used sparingly (like once every to w weeks), this proteinbomb makes my hair even curlier and there is a bounce to the curls.
Its hard to find the balance between protein and moisture, but like I wrote, 2 x monthly for my virgin hair makes all the difference.

on 4/15/2017 3:37:00 PM

This is pretty good when used as directed, my first time I didn't read the directions and left it on for 45 minutes and my hair was left dry and brittle, so I learned to pay attention to directions and apply for 15 minutes with heat wrap my hair in plastic and than put a towel to keep heat in and my hair comes out very soft and healthy looking and feels good. But I always use a moisturizing hair mask right after this since I have dry hair. If I don't apply heat and wrap my hair I don't really see any changes, I don't think my hair became stronger with this I still had breakage using it but it did revive it and improve softness so I will be buying more now I've ran out. You don't need to use a lot so don't slather big amounts on a little hoes a long way with this and a jar lasts me months, it looks like you don't get that much out of the jar but you do I pay $30 Canadian for it.

on 10/22/2016 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This would probably be the only Redken product that I would still buy. I do like this and find that it does exactly what it is supposed to except that I have to do a deep moisture treatment immediately following otherwise my hair is like straw. For those who don't know what exactly this product is- it's a protein mask meaning it puts protein back into your hair. Depending on the level of need and damage would determine how long you would leave this in for. I have seen on so many other reviews over the years that people seem to think this is a moisturizing mask which it is not and it will make your hair feel dry afterwards if your hair is also in need of moisture which is why I follow up with a deep conditioning treatment. I hope Redken keeps this formula and doesn't try to switch it out with something new.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I read a ton of great reviews on this before I went through with it.

Heat damage and treatment always has been messing up my hair and 'frying it'. They say this helps with protein building so I wanted to give it a go

After using it several weeks. My hair does seem shinier and in general more manageable. I have noticed healthier looking hair, but it's still breaking off more than with some cheaper treatments I've used. I think my hair is too damaged for this. This is more of a mild treatment.

My hair has been long all of my life, except for a few years in the recent past while I dated a corporate attorney dipshit who subjected me to his hair salon fetish. Weekly visits to whatever ubersalon had captured his fancy made my hair shorter and shorter, and more and more damaged. When I extricated myself, I was hard-pressed to repair both my mane and my means simultaneously. I needed to get with the best products at the best price, and I wasn't going to waste money or time.

This stuff did the trick! The three jars I purchased from Ulta lasted me the better part of a year. By then, my trashed, overtrimmed tresses had grown to bra-strap length, and I was feeling like myself again.

Fast forward to the present: I still use this stuff daily, as the main leg of my hair routine triumvirate (along with the accompanying shampoo and leave-in treatment product).
My hair is almost to the top of my jeans, and my salon visits are limited to annual balayage at Phoebe Therese.

To summarize: I found this product to be extremely effective in facilitating my hair-length goals in a timely and cost-effective manner. I continue to use it daily, and I recommend it unequivocally. Like duh, it totally rocks!

on 8/22/2014 9:29:00 AM

I bought this mask based on MUA reviews, and I'm very glad that I did. This is a fantastic product and really serious stuff, which is suitable for thick, coarse and really damaged hair as well, not just normal or slightly damaged/dry, as most products are (in spite of the marketing claims).
This is a protein treatment, and the third protein treatment that I've tried. Joico K-Pak didn't really do anything to my hair, and Kerastase's green line (Bain Force Architecte and the Age Recharge Mask) strengthened my hair but also made it very greasy in no time.
This product has an immediate strengthening effect, and helps my hair stay fresh even longer than my favorite products do. I like to use this mask together with the matching shampoo, but I've found that just the mask in itself already lengthens the time between hair washes.

There are a lot of warnings about protein treatments. A lot of reviewers say that those with dry hair shouldn't use them, because they will only make the matter worse. But I think hardly anyone knows if their hair is damaged or dry. For example, I have been dying my hair for more than 10 years now (on a monthly basis), because I started to go grey very early. Now almost 100% of my hair is grey, so obviously 'old', weak and damaged from dying. But it has never been bleached, and is hardly ever heat styled. Being wavy and coarse it is obviously dry, moreover, very dry.

So now, should you be afraid of a protein treatment? I think no, at least not in this case. The majority of the reviewers experienced good results, and a lot of them must have dry hair rather than damaged. You can try using this mask once a week or in rotation with a protein-free moisturizing treatment, or if you have time, you can use both: first this, then the moisturizer. I've used it in itself and also together with Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm or Macadamia Natural Oil Mask. It worked really well either way. It has a plastic cherry smell, which I don't particularly find pleasant, but this product has such great benefits, that I won't complain about that.

on 4/2/2014 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is hair repair in a jar. This product contains the penetrating palm oils, the ceramides, hydrolyzed proteins and 18-MEA needed to rebuild damaged hair. If you have fried or color damaged hair this product will be your best friend. Silicone free is also a plus so the ingredients really sink in. I think if you aren't getting the best results with this, try clarifying the hair first. If you use a silicone based shampoo you may be blocking some absorption needed to get full benefit.
I clarify then towel blot hair. Apply and leave in 30 minutes under a shower cap. I follow with a protein free conditioner and leave on 5 minutes. Result is hair so lovely I could cry.
When I am in a hurry I will just use as a regular conditioner once in a while. When I do this I only rinse 75% out and let the rest just seep into hair throughout the day. Makes hair very manageable.

I have yet to find another product on the market that contains all the ingredients this one does. Some have one or 2. This one has all needed so you truly are getting the best product possible to help work with damaged hair.