NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner - Via Veneto

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got this eyeliner in my Sephora birthday gift package and while it's a great eyeliner, it's not worth the full price tag. There are so many other less expensive options out there that perform just as well as this eyeliner.

It stays on remarkably well along my upper waterline and there's only slight smudging after a long day. However, it still doesn't justify paying $31 CAD for a pencil.
As I've discovered some real gems in the Nature Republic (a Korean brand) line, I'd rather try their pencil eyeliners for far less money. I have no doubt that their pencil liners will last the day and then some.

Give this eyeliner a pass and I'll use my money for another bottle of the Sheer Glow foundation instead.

on 4/9/2016 3:59:00 AM

Got 2 of these eyeliners in a swap: Via Veneto and Rue Saint-Honor. Very similar colors, close to black except Rue Saint-Honor is barely cooler in tone. The pencils twist up to expose more product, but the pencils include a sharpener on the other end to create a precision point.

The staying power is great with these pencils. They're not waterproof but they resist water very well; it will take friction to remove these, even soaking them in good old olive oil.

What gives the pencils great staying power might also be their biggest flaw in my book. The pencils are very dry! I don't know if it's air exposure during the delivery since these were swapped for, or if they really are dry by formulation. I expected these to glide on like silk, and was thrown off by how they dragged over my eyelids. Hard to connect strokes of lines too. Both shades had the same issues.

Great features in a pencil, great staying power, but application sucks and does not make this worth the $20 it retails for.

To Read all 66 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/11/2016 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had high hopes for this eyeliner. Unfortunately, it flaked and bled when I lined my eyes on the lid and also when I tight lined the waterline. Fail!

on 11/26/2015 4:47:00 PM

I have never line my waterline because whenever i do my eyes will feel very irritated until i find this. I got this as part of the sephora birthday gift and one day i just try it on my waterline not expecting anything.....and after few hours it stays there and no smudging and there is also no irritations on my eyes which is really great. i have chinky monolid eyes which hides any upper eyeline when my eyes are open so lining my waterline actually open my eyes better and make my lashes seem thicker. This eyeliner also has a very creamer texture which goes on easily.

on 11/24/2015 7:59:00 AM

I love Nars , but this is not working so good.
When i got it in the start i thought it was nice, but i don't like it anymore, maybe because it dried out??? I had it for a half year or so.
It's hard to sharpen it, you can never get it really sharp, because it's very soft. Also the pencil moves around in the pencil shell. It's hard to draw a nice smooth line with it and when you want to correct it, it's also pretty hard to do.

It's not very dark black, but a bit greyish, smudges during the day, might be good for a lasting smoky eye base.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Finallyyyyy an eyeliner that stays put on your waterline! I went into Sephora the other day and asked the saleswoman to recommend an eyeliner that won't dissappear on the water line after 20 minutes. She told me about this one and it's awesome!!! I am a contact lens wearer and urban decays 24/7 pencils leave a film on my contacts. This one does not. It's definitely a little pricey, but since I'm using it only for my waterline and it lasts all day it should last me awhile.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I've been on a lifelong search for the perfect tight line pencil. This shade is super dark...super black so it passes in that department. When I tight line my upper it's perfection for about 10 minutes till it transfers down to my bottom lash line which is great if I tight light the bottom but sometimes I don't want to have my lower lash line lined. It's soft so I can usually get the job done with one good swipe. And it doesn't irritate my eyes either. When it comes to removal....get ready to work because it's difficult. I have to use a q-tip and makeup remover. Then follow up with my gel face cleanser that doesn't sting my eyes. That's the only downside but hey...I can't have it all. Would I repurchase? Yep I would because this far it's been far better than other one's that I have tried in the past.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

While I doubt I'd spend $31 (CDN) for this (yes, folks, that is what this pencil costs in Canada!), I'm very glad to have received a mini in my Sephora birthday gift. This is a really BLACK, black and the colour really lasts, even on my waterline. Makes for a really sultry smudgy smoky eye with very little effort too. But I am so happy with my GOSH and Sephora lining pencils which cost less than half the price of the Nars pencils, so while I think this is repurchase-worthy, I won't be parting with that much money for a liner.

I bought this pencil in black in june 2015. Worked fine while in London. Took it with me to india in august and listen to this: the Nars letters on the pencil have disappeared and the pencil color has become hard and dry. I've broken off a bit of the tip to see if it made a difference, still nothing. You have to rub it really hard on the hand to get the color but on the lids or inner eyes--after dragging 2-3 times, I get a pale grey!

So definitely not buying it again.

cheers

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this in a bday set from sephora. It had 3 Nars products in the set (2 lip crayons & this eyeliner). I hadn't broke out the eyeliner to use until recently (my bday is in March). Idk the FRP of this eyeliner because it was free but I'd totally rebuy this when I run out. Really great very black & I've slept in if I admit & it remained relatively the same as when I applied it which I found amazing. I love it is retractable (NYC u got go catch up!) I don't know how go use the sharpener I don't want to waste precious product. This is better than my MUFE AquaEyes pencil. This is non smudging so if you want to smoke it out I would rec'd Urban Decay pencils. This makes a neat tidy tightline/waterline very precise formed lines. They don't blend out but that is the whole concept "point"!! I love Nars but I cannot afford much of it. I have a few treasured items!!! A good way to wear this is to line (w a sharpened tip the end of the Nars includes a sharpener) the outer 3rd of the eye just immediately above the lash line & tight line the last 1/4 of the way to the outer part of the eye in addition then do your waterline on the bottom & keep the waterline going past the eye in a very small flick & if u need to sharpen it up u can use a precision qtip dipped in a non oily euemakeup remover (EL in the dark blue plastic bottle w the gold cap is awesome) or even better Almay remover pre soaked qtips to sharpen/clean it up but that makes a classy subtle wing w a pencil. learned this from MUA diff product review who in turn learned it from a fancy place before you think I'm some high class broad I've never been to that particular store & YMMV but I tried it w this liner w awesome results! My most treasured eyeliner pencil.