NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner - Via Veneto

No Image

3.4

on 3/12/2018 3:30:00 PM

My sister bought me a NARS eyeshadow palette a while ago, and it came with a deluxe sample size of this eyeliner tucked into the palette and I'm only now getting around to writing a review. There are many things to love about the eyeliner when you first start using it -- it's creamy, it's a velvet black and it applies like a dream. The catch, however, is this is what it's like "when you first start using it."

The only other Larger Than Life eyeliner I've tried was in the color Barrow Street, and I thought my issues with that one were limited to that particular color, but nope, they apply here, too. I've never had a pencil eyeliner dry out so quickly on me! Within a month, the pencil was tugging on my eyelids as I applied and the black would take several passes to show up as dark as it once was. Even then, by the end of the day, the color faded significantly to a more muted light black (not a grey, as it lacks the richness that comes with a good grey eyeliner)!

I usually enjoy using NARS products, but these eyeliners are a pass for me, especially given the high price point.

on 2/14/2018 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this especially to use on my waterline after Sephora sales person assured me that this is so good for waterlines. She was wrong, it didnt stay on my waterline more than an hour before dissappearing.

on 10/3/2017 10:13:00 PM

I bought this pencil on ebay for over $10 for a trial size, after watching a youtube raving about how great it is.
No better than most I've tried before, worse than some. It was hard, didn't glide easily and saw it under my eyes a few hours later.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got this eyeliner in my Sephora birthday gift package and while it's a great eyeliner, it's not worth the full price tag. There are so many other less expensive options out there that perform just as well as this eyeliner.

It stays on remarkably well along my upper waterline and there's only slight smudging after a long day. However, it still doesn't justify paying $31 CAD for a pencil.
As I've discovered some real gems in the Nature Republic (a Korean brand) line, I'd rather try their pencil eyeliners for far less money. I have no doubt that their pencil liners will last the day and then some.

Give this eyeliner a pass and I'll use my money for another bottle of the Sheer Glow foundation instead.

on 4/9/2016 3:59:00 AM

Got 2 of these eyeliners in a swap: Via Veneto and Rue Saint-Honor. Very similar colors, close to black except Rue Saint-Honor is barely cooler in tone. The pencils twist up to expose more product, but the pencils include a sharpener on the other end to create a precision point.

The staying power is great with these pencils. They're not waterproof but they resist water very well; it will take friction to remove these, even soaking them in good old olive oil.

What gives the pencils great staying power might also be their biggest flaw in my book. The pencils are very dry! I don't know if it's air exposure during the delivery since these were swapped for, or if they really are dry by formulation. I expected these to glide on like silk, and was thrown off by how they dragged over my eyelids. Hard to connect strokes of lines too. Both shades had the same issues.

Great features in a pencil, great staying power, but application sucks and does not make this worth the $20 it retails for.

on 1/11/2016 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I had high hopes for this eyeliner. Unfortunately, it flaked and bled when I lined my eyes on the lid and also when I tight lined the waterline. Fail!

on 11/26/2015 4:47:00 PM

I have never line my waterline because whenever i do my eyes will feel very irritated until i find this. I got this as part of the sephora birthday gift and one day i just try it on my waterline not expecting anything.....and after few hours it stays there and no smudging and there is also no irritations on my eyes which is really great. i have chinky monolid eyes which hides any upper eyeline when my eyes are open so lining my waterline actually open my eyes better and make my lashes seem thicker. This eyeliner also has a very creamer texture which goes on easily.

on 11/24/2015 7:59:00 AM

I love Nars , but this is not working so good.
When i got it in the start i thought it was nice, but i don't like it anymore, maybe because it dried out??? I had it for a half year or so.
It's hard to sharpen it, you can never get it really sharp, because it's very soft. Also the pencil moves around in the pencil shell. It's hard to draw a nice smooth line with it and when you want to correct it, it's also pretty hard to do.

It's not very dark black, but a bit greyish, smudges during the day, might be good for a lasting smoky eye base.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Finallyyyyy an eyeliner that stays put on your waterline! I went into Sephora the other day and asked the saleswoman to recommend an eyeliner that won't dissappear on the water line after 20 minutes. She told me about this one and it's awesome!!! I am a contact lens wearer and urban decays 24/7 pencils leave a film on my contacts. This one does not. It's definitely a little pricey, but since I'm using it only for my waterline and it lasts all day it should last me awhile.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I've been on a lifelong search for the perfect tight line pencil. This shade is super dark...super black so it passes in that department. When I tight line my upper it's perfection for about 10 minutes till it transfers down to my bottom lash line which is great if I tight light the bottom but sometimes I don't want to have my lower lash line lined. It's soft so I can usually get the job done with one good swipe. And it doesn't irritate my eyes either. When it comes to removal....get ready to work because it's difficult. I have to use a q-tip and makeup remover. Then follow up with my gel face cleanser that doesn't sting my eyes. That's the only downside but hey...I can't have it all. Would I repurchase? Yep I would because this far it's been far better than other one's that I have tried in the past.