Garnier Pure Clean Gel

Garnier Pure Clean Gel

Water, Sorbitol, Glycerin Dehydroxanthan Gum, Benzyl alcohol, Lithium, Magnesium Sodium Silicate, Fragrance, Limonene, Citronellol, Linalool, Acacia Senegal

on 5/8/2016 10:37:00 PM

HOLY GRAIL! I have 3a curls which get frizzy. Amazing gel...use about a quarter size for initial application...make sure you spread it on your hands first and then evenly through your just washed hair....scrunch and i get perfectly formed frizz free curls! I usually use the dippity do mega gel but found it to be heavy and not as easy to apply to hair...this is absolutely perfect! I wish i had discovered it sooner as it would have saved me alot of frustration and frizz! For 2nd and 3rd day curls...just rewet hair with spray bottle water add some moisture leave in cream like the garnier butter cream and a bit more gel...sprunch with diffuser and voila! full head of curls! Highly recommend!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

So far still trying to figure out how to work with this gel. Seems to be somewhat easy to figure out on really wet hair or when you're doing up-dos. The application and drying on loose curls is a bit tricky. But it smells like tea. And I love tea.

To Read all 30 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Edit: the first time I used this product, these were my results. However, after using it a few more times, I realized it flakes like crazy and wasn't giving me the same results as that first time. :( Too bad since it was so cheap, but I went back to my Biolage.

I picked this up a few days ago after reading some good reviews on this web site & NaturallyCurly.com and was super excited because it was SO cheap. My favourite gels to use up until now have been Biolage Gelee & DevaCurl, both pretty expensive products. I've been trying to spend less on the products I use lately so when I ran out of gel I had to do some research! This stuff is awesome!!! It actually dries quicker than other gels I've tried and it's super easy to spread onto your hair. My hair is very curly, probably 3b/3a mix and thick. It needs a lot of hold! I used this over my leave-in & Curl Amplifier, let it set for around 30 minutes, dried it with a diffuser & SOTC. I can't believe how great my hair looks with a product I paid for with a $5 bill!!!!! I had to shout it from the rooftops, lol. The ONLY thing I was bummed about was that Garnier tests their products on animals, which is something I really try to avoid in all of my products. I've already sent the company an email in regards to this, as I'm sure tons of people have done in the past, so hopefully they get with the times soon and go cruelty-free. If you're reading this, give them some hell about it too! But other than that, if you've got curly hair & are on the hunt for a new gel, try this stuff!!! It really does work just as good - if not better - as DevaCurl at a fraction of the price.

on 1/17/2015 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This gel is really good for the price. It's silicone free, and washes out easily with just cowashing, which is a huge pro in my opinion because I've found that not all gels- even silicone free ones - do that. It made my curls soft and defined and pretty much frizz-free, but the only downfall is that I have to use A LOT to get it to work for me. I went through the entire bottle in about a week! That's the only reason I won't buy it again, because in the long run it would really cost me. But overall it's very good and does what it claims. It smells really fresh and clean, as well.

on 8/10/2014 4:35:00 PM

Got this a while ago with no intention of using it to scrunch my hair with, because then my hair was straight! In the recent months, my hair has become somewhat wavy, probably due to my new haircut with layers. I'm decided to embrace the waves, and my new routine consists of using a curling cream then scrunching my damp hair with this gel for curly waves, some pieces even full on curly. It holds quite well, and smells nice, like lemons. The only reason why it got 4 out of 5 lips was because it tends to get a bit crunchy if you put in too much. The crunch is easily fixed though, just pull the curls/waves apart. No flaking or messiness! For those interested, I use this after the shower, and every morning when I don't shower, I spritz water into my hair, take a bit of this gel, and scrunch as usual. If you blow dry, use a diffuser. Overall, great for wavy/curly hair!

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I really like this product. It defines my 3b/c curly hair greatly. The smell isn't the best, but the definition is worth it. I use the giovanni direct leave in under it and let it dry and i'm good for the day.

on 4/4/2014 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Other, Medium

I'll add to the several mostly positive comments below! This is truly a decent gel and I've had fairly good results. For reference, I have natural curly hair that is cut in a short layered bob (growing out a pixie). This product works much better on my hair than several high-end styling products I've recently tried including Pureology, L'anza, Kenra, Aquage and Redkin -- all pure fluff!

How I use: "After" blow dry styling with a round brush, I apply a small amount of the gel and apply it as a finishing product. It works to softly hold the style throughout the day. Controls and smooths the frizzies too!

Good product but would not recommend for long hair.

on 10/8/2013 4:22:00 PM

I usually use Garnier's curl scrunching gel but I decided to try this one because of the good reviews and the way they market this as being "pure" (as to how true that statement is, I don't know). It's ooookay, I don't love it but it's not horrible. It leaves my curls looking defined but the issue I have with this is that it makes my hair stick together a lot and it turns really hard, an issue I don't have with the curl scrunching gel. I will finish this tube but I will go back to my regular gel next time.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Claims - True or False?
1) 24-hour hold: Sometimes
2) Extra-strong hold: False
3) No Flaking: True
4) No Residue: False

Packaging:
In a squeeze tube with a flip cap, packaging's plastic material is very soft and clear on the bottom half which allows you to see when it is running low. Flip cap is easy to close and open, no issues with the cap breaking or weakening with regular use. Ingredients are listed on the back of the bottle and easy to read. Aesthetically pleasing enough design, moderately simple.

Formula:
Silicone-, protein-, dye-, paraben-free. My only concern was for the first two ingredients being omitted. It does contain a strong fragrance that is light and citrusy. Thickish consistency, clear, but doesn't seem completely smooth and gel-like.. it's almost like snot really. The formula is also sticky to the touch and leaves skin feeling sticky when it dries.

Performance:
I've used between 1/3rd and 1/2 of the product and overall this gel just doesn't suit my hair. I used the gel to help hold my natural curls and the results were inconsistent, I was never able to really determine when it would work properly or how to get it to work properly. I've tried using less, more, alone, over conditioner, under conditioner, on very wet hair, on t-shirt dried hair, mixed with conditioner, and none of these gave me the perfect hair I wanted. Applying it under conditioner (and I believe applying some to wet hair and then some to t-shirt dried hair) seemed to give the best results. I found that when I would scrunch it in it would stick - as I scrunched my hair would stick to my hands and my hands/hair felt sticky until I very thoroughly scrunched it in, and this stickiness could pull out the curl sometimes and in other instances it would enhance the curl. It also increased drying time for my hair by maybe an hour or less, and with my t-shirt drying it already can take up to 2 hours to dry. As my hair dried I could feel the stickiness in my hair, but once dry I mostly didn't feel it. Could leave hair crunchy but this was easily scrunched out unless too much was used. It definitely tangled and dried out my ends though, and I'd suspect that it was due to the lithium magnesium sodium silicate which has a salt component to it. I believe that that and the glycerin caused some frizz, and the benzyl alcohol and/or the gum(s) left residue in my hair that was very difficult to rinse out with just water and required a cowash to remove. When the product performed well though, it gave me springy curls with spirals and ringlets, shine, and decent shrinkage, and I could get 2nd day hair with it easily. I felt that I had to use a lot of it though to get it to work well, but that would sometimes just weigh it down.

Bang for your Buck:
Prices vary, I've seen it for around $3 at Target and closer to $6-$7 at Shoppers Drug Mart. Contains 200ml. With almost daily use in the last month or two I've already used up half the product, so I feel it could end up being used quickly unless you don't have a lot of hair or don't need a lot of hold.

Final Consensus:
This isn't a horrible product but the ingredients just aren't ideal for my hair properties and the results just aren't consistent enough to want to bother continuing with trying out different methods of use. I'd not repurchase but I would still recommend it to others looking for a cheap gel if their hair is okay with the above-mentioned ingredients.
* Overall Rating: 3/5
* Price: 1/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: No

on 8/19/2013 12:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my favorite gel. I have naturally curly hair and love the hold and definition I get with this product. The price is a lot lower than my Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, and I don't have the flaking issues I had with BRHG. Highly recommended for all curly girls!