Neostrata Vitamin C Concentrate

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Neostrata Vitamin C Concentrate

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Contains 10% L-Asorbic Vitamin C concentration, packaged in a glass jar with 30 capsules so basically a one month supply if only applying once a day. Pretty pricey when you break it down into a per application cost. The capsules are quite sturdy/thick and opaque in color to protect the efficacy of the vitamin C. The serum is much thicker than I thought it would be. It feels very silky and smoothing on the skin, like a dimethicone primer feels.

The first time I used this my daytime moisturizer (Embryolisse) seemed to just sit on top of this and not penetrate my skin as usual so I’m not sure if the primer is acting like a barrier for other products. I used Pixi Rose Flash Balm over it at night and this made the products pill up terribly if I so much as touched my face after application. I thought since they both have a silicone feel they must not play well together. I tried it again the following night with about a 30 minute delay before using the Rose Flash Balm and didn’t seem to have any issue with pilling as before. So this was how I used the remaining capsules.

I really liked the convenience of using one capsule per application and I like how soft and velvety my skin felt after applying the serum. There was a slight tingling on my skin so I know that the vitamin C was definitely still “active”. When I calculate the cost of these capsules it would run me approx $400 CAD per year and that’s a lot for a vitamin C serum when you get right down to it. I’m all for investing in quality skin care but I’m not convinced the price supports the effectiveness of this product. Especially when this is but ONE step in my overall skincare routine. I might still splurge on these on occasion when they are on sale because I do enjoy using them.

on 10/31/2013 9:05:00 AM

30ml of 10% Vitamin C serum packaged in 30 individual capsules. That's great!
I have finally managed to put together a well rounded skincare routine, but as a male I also like to keep it nice and simple. Not only I'd rather not waste time, but more products tend to pile and become visible.

Prior to this I have used Kiehl's Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate which is similar, but this is better. The texture is smoother, more transparent and does not appear white. It is also much cheaper if you get it at Shoppers Drug Mart with a 20x on Optimum points when they also have the occasional 30% off on all Neostrata products.

I apply this around my eyes before sunscreen and after my BHA exfoliant. It provides additional sun protection. Since I only apply a small amount, I like the individial capsules. With Kiehl's, I'd basically just be clearing the nozzle each time. So, I just cut a small corner of a new capsule, take the amount I need, then put it down on a small tray of Vaseline face down. It seals well the opening and I can get up to 4 individual uses from each one. The serum remains stable and each capsule is like opening a brand new product.

I just cut a small corner, take the amount I need and then put it down on a small tray of vaseline. It is great at sealing the opening and one capsule can last me up to 4 individual uses.

I hope they never discontinue it because I intend to use it for a long time.