Too Faced Smokey Eye Collection

Too Faced Smokey Eye Collection
Too Faced Shadow PalettesSmokey Eye CollectionToo Faced Smokey Eye palette

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only Too Faced eyeshadow I've tried, and it's ok but I'm not super impressed. The highlight shades, Firefly, White Lie, and In A Flash, are my favorites in the pallette. They're all smooth and nicely pigmented, as well as Cloves and Nice Ash (Nice Ash is probably the nicest and most pigmented of the bunch.) However, some of the eyeshadows are just not amazing, especially Smoking Jacket and Smolder, which I have not been able to blend together without looking like a shimmery bruise. Smoking Jacket, Smolder, Up in Smoke, and Smokin Hot are all less pigmented than I would like, look somewhat patchy when applied, and are not super easy to blend (though I will say they're nowhere near the worst eyeshadows I've tried. They're just not the best either.) Something I do like about this palette is that nothing is super glittery and it includes two mattes and one almost matte. This, in theory, makes everything in the palette super wearable, but I just don't find myself reaching for this palette very often. Another criticism I've heard from a lot of people (and I agree) is that the way Too Faced intends for these shadows to be combined (both in the way the palette is arranged and with the included example cards) doesn't really work. I do think that the Day and Classic color combinations are nice (though I much prefer to apply them differently than the cards suggest) but the Fashion colors look like a silvery bruise every time I try to wear them together. I suppose I need to play around with the colors more and find the best ways to combine them, but I don't really love this palette enough to feel compelled to do so. Also, most of the colors have fallout, but it's not horrible. So, in conclusion, I do like some of the shadows in this palette and I wouldn't say it's a bad product, but it's not exactly the most unique and original palette ever created so there are much better options for the price.

on 7/31/2013 7:28:00 AM

I received this palette as a gift from my mom about a year ago. Honestly, I've probably only used it about 10 times. I just don't find most of the colors very practical for everyday, then again it is for "smokey" eyes. The color pay off is GREAT though, and the packaging is very nice. I would not repurchase again just because I don't find that I would be getting my moneys worth.

on 2/18/2013 7:46:00 AM

Really a nice combination of colors. They are well pigmented, not too much fall out and the glitter is minimal......very nice soft shimmer shades. They all blend well and do not irritate my eyelids.

on 12/25/2012 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is an adorable palette. The packaging is sturdy and travel friendly. The shadows and highlighters are pigmented and all work together very well. I'm very happy that I got this as a gift, the price is a little steep but after trying it I could justify purchasing it again.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I usually only buy Too Faced face products but this is the first eyeshadow purchase I have made. I am really pleased with their eyeshadows. First off, they are so freaking pigmented it is ridiculous! They are gorgeous, vibrant, long lasting and very easy to blend. I love that they have little instructional cards in them to give you ideas for different looks, that is definitely a plus for someone who is just starting off with makeup. Also the packaging is gorgeous and sturdy, very chic. Some of the cons about this is that it is SO expensive in Canada, one of the palettes is $46 compared to the $38 it is in America which is really unfair because usually it's only a couple of dollars difference in other products in the US. Anyway, it's alright since I don't think I will ever repurchase this palette since sooo little goes such a long way and I probably will never hit pan with any of the shadows ever. I am excited that Too Faced has such beautiful shadows and I will definitely be checking out other shadows by them.

on 1/31/2012 8:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I first purchased the Natural Eye palette and FELL IN LOVE! I don't usually splurge on eyeshadows, I usually buy less expensive ones (in Australia this eyeshadow palette costs $59 US), but having loved the natural eye, I got this one, too.

I don't like the colours in this palette - they don't compliment my skin tone nor my eye colour. There are 3 matte colours, which is nice (hate palettes that are ALL shimmer), but I feel these colours all lean towards a 'cool' undertone, and as a warm toned gal, they do nada for me.

The quality is lovely, as per usual with Too Faced palettes, they DO have staying power, particularly with a primer, they are pigmented - certainly, but so many of them are frosty and cool toned that they will predominantly work for cool toned gals - particularly green eyes, I feel.

I'm still waiting for my Romantic Eye collection, I'm hoping the colours are better suited for me.

I wouldn't buy again, because they don't compliment MY skin tone, but the quality is there, so i'm not dissing the product itself.

//edit: I'm going to say that I have made *some* of the colours work for me. I pair them with silver jewellery, to complete the more frosty/cool toned look. You CAN make them work if you are of a warmer undertone, but I still say warm toned girls are better off buying a more suited palette fo this kind of money.

Phenomenal quality shadows, though. Love!

on 1/27/2012 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I received this as a Christmas present from my sister. She knows that I am a huge fan of smokey eyes, probably the only 'eye look' that I do! All the shadows in here are especially pigmented. I love the bottom 4 colors. The dark brown, the dark blue, and purple are very rich. There is also a small amoutn of shimmer in the blue and purple. Usually I wet my brushes a bit when dipping it in the color. But because this is so well pigmented, I don't need to wet my brush. It lasts all day for me, even without a primer. The packaging is a little bulky, but it's also secure. i can put this in a purse or weekend bag without breakign the compact. The clasp has a nice magnetic clasp that clamps down. THis is my second Too Faced palette, and I love the smooth application and pigmentation of the shadows.

on 12/12/2011 10:33:00 AM

Really a lovely collection. All the colors are coordinated, making it a great palette for people new to dark smokey eyes. A basic must-have for every makeup kit. My only issue with this product is the packaging: like many of toofaced palettes, its needlessly bulky.

on 11/13/2011 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This review is for the NEW Smokey Eye palette/collection from TF (they had an earlier one that didn't appeal to me at all). It might have been helpful if they'd called this "Vol. 2" or something, rather than just using a different spelling of "Smoky" - would maybe have avoided a bit of confusion. This is my 4th Too Faced palette and I've been delighted with all of them. This one is no exception. This is a collection of primarily cool-toned shades that I am really loving.

Even for an "old gal" like me, the colours are extremely wearable. My favourite look is the "Day" look because I simply love both Cloves (a glowy bronzey dark tan - it has become one of my all time favourite colours) and Up In Smoke (a matte dark brown/grey shade...that sort of perfect dark shadowy colour that looks like a shadow). While it's called "Day", this can be made very dramatic and "dangerous", if you wish! I'm not heavily into silvers so In a Flash isn't a colour I'd have bought on my own but Smoking Jacket (a rich purple) is gorgeous and the whole palette is very well thought out - the colours all look great together, whether you follow the suggestions on the cards that are always included with these palettes or choose to create your own looks or combine these shadows with others you already have. Texture is perfect - easily blendable, apply very well and are very pigmented. Definitely one I'd repurchase and recommend. Oh, and I hope the people at Too Faced get really smart and release Cloves as a single shadow, available on its own. It is SO gorgeous and unlike any other eyeshadow I own.

on 9/17/2011 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love my Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection but I love this even more. I did not like the previous Smokey Eye Palette but this palette the colors are just perfect. Day, Classic or Fashion, I love it all. I'm NW 20-22, NC 27 and this palette has the perfect gold/brown eyeshadows color on my skintone. I love it more than my Urban Decay Naked Palette. I'm thinking of buying a backup already just in case they change the color again. It's not too bulky so it's very nice to take to travel also. It has all the colors I needed round the clock. Pigmented, very smooth to apply and blend. Not chalky at all. Everything about this eyeshadow is just perfect. A definite must have.

Popular Palettes