Too Faced Smokey Eye Collection

4.4

on 4/16/2016 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I love this palette when I want a sexy smokey look, the quality is one of the best at this particular palette.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Gosh, there's already so many wonderful reviews for this one! I'm happy I'm not the only who loves this palette.

A few years ago I really wanted to perfect the sultry cat "smokey eye" , and I just knew I had to have this collection when I felt how soft and pigmented the colors were. Dark colors are hard for me to work with, but these went on so well, little fall out, blends beautifully, and really you can mix all of the colors for some pretty creative looks.

But, I love the little card tutorials, those were designed for dorks like me, I just know it! And these colors go on much brigher than they look too! At least I really think "In a Flash" does, geez that color is just so pretty. And the color "smokin hot" really grabbed me, because it's perfect for the corner V and even as an eye liner if you're in a pinch.

I just really love Too Faced eye shadow collections. I felt like I got a bargain for the money, and didn't have to worry about individually buying a bunch of different pigments and them not working together.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the only Too Faced eyeshadow I've tried, and it's ok but I'm not super impressed. The highlight shades, Firefly, White Lie, and In A Flash, are my favorites in the pallette. They're all smooth and nicely pigmented, as well as Cloves and Nice Ash (Nice Ash is probably the nicest and most pigmented of the bunch.) However, some of the eyeshadows are just not amazing, especially Smoking Jacket and Smolder, which I have not been able to blend together without looking like a shimmery bruise. Smoking Jacket, Smolder, Up in Smoke, and Smokin Hot are all less pigmented than I would like, look somewhat patchy when applied, and are not super easy to blend (though I will say they're nowhere near the worst eyeshadows I've tried. They're just not the best either.) Something I do like about this palette is that nothing is super glittery and it includes two mattes and one almost matte. This, in theory, makes everything in the palette super wearable, but I just don't find myself reaching for this palette very often. Another criticism I've heard from a lot of people (and I agree) is that the way Too Faced intends for these shadows to be combined (both in the way the palette is arranged and with the included example cards) doesn't really work. I do think that the Day and Classic color combinations are nice (though I much prefer to apply them differently than the cards suggest) but the Fashion colors look like a silvery bruise every time I try to wear them together. I suppose I need to play around with the colors more and find the best ways to combine them, but I don't really love this palette enough to feel compelled to do so. Also, most of the colors have fallout, but it's not horrible. So, in conclusion, I do like some of the shadows in this palette and I wouldn't say it's a bad product, but it's not exactly the most unique and original palette ever created so there are much better options for the price.

on 7/31/2013 7:28:00 AM

I received this palette as a gift from my mom about a year ago. Honestly, I've probably only used it about 10 times. I just don't find most of the colors very practical for everyday, then again it is for "smokey" eyes. The color pay off is GREAT though, and the packaging is very nice. I would not repurchase again just because I don't find that I would be getting my moneys worth.

on 2/18/2013 7:46:00 AM

Really a nice combination of colors. They are well pigmented, not too much fall out and the glitter is minimal......very nice soft shimmer shades. They all blend well and do not irritate my eyelids.

on 12/25/2012 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is an adorable palette. The packaging is sturdy and travel friendly. The shadows and highlighters are pigmented and all work together very well. I'm very happy that I got this as a gift, the price is a little steep but after trying it I could justify purchasing it again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The old Smokey eye palette has been discontinued. It's no longer for sale on the Too Faced website, so that means it's gone for good. This is the replacement, and so far it's getting a lot more positive feedback on here and the internet. I've never bought anything from Too Faced before today. Not that I don't buy a lot of moderate to high end products, but I didn't know how to approach Too Faced or even know much about the brand other than their eye primer. Some of their packaging is over the top to me or too flashy, but I love the eye palettes and their whimsical themes with pinups, fairies, or glitter. These are more compact than they used to be and they take up less space. You have to have your own brushes and mirror. It's not an on the go palette, but you can travel with it easily. For $36, you get three large highlights as you can see, and six colors in various shimmers and mattes. The silver highlight is opaque and intense, metallic with the right primer. I'd use LA Splash sealer/base with that one since those shades tend to be heavier unless you have a sticky base. I'm going to test it for a week or two and update, but so far it's really good. I also like the "midnight glamour in a garden" them for this palette.

The Too Faced website describes these shades as:
1. Firefly: silvery taupe
2. Cloves: Bronzey brown
3. Up In Smoke: Blackened brown
4. White Lie: Sugar white
5.Nice Ash: charcoal
6.Smokin' Hot: matte black
7.In A Flash: silver shimmer
8.Smoking Jacket: Black plum, I'd call it a chrome purple.
9. Smolder: matte navy

on 1/31/2012 8:02:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I first purchased the Natural Eye palette and FELL IN LOVE! I don't usually splurge on eyeshadows, I usually buy less expensive ones (in Australia this eyeshadow palette costs $59 US), but having loved the natural eye, I got this one, too.

I don't like the colours in this palette - they don't compliment my skin tone nor my eye colour. There are 3 matte colours, which is nice (hate palettes that are ALL shimmer), but I feel these colours all lean towards a 'cool' undertone, and as a warm toned gal, they do nada for me.

The quality is lovely, as per usual with Too Faced palettes, they DO have staying power, particularly with a primer, they are pigmented - certainly, but so many of them are frosty and cool toned that they will predominantly work for cool toned gals - particularly green eyes, I feel.

I'm still waiting for my Romantic Eye collection, I'm hoping the colours are better suited for me.

I wouldn't buy again, because they don't compliment MY skin tone, but the quality is there, so i'm not dissing the product itself.

//edit: I'm going to say that I have made *some* of the colours work for me. I pair them with silver jewellery, to complete the more frosty/cool toned look. You CAN make them work if you are of a warmer undertone, but I still say warm toned girls are better off buying a more suited palette fo this kind of money.

Phenomenal quality shadows, though. Love!

on 1/27/2012 7:47:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I received this as a Christmas present from my sister. She knows that I am a huge fan of smokey eyes, probably the only 'eye look' that I do! All the shadows in here are especially pigmented. I love the bottom 4 colors. The dark brown, the dark blue, and purple are very rich. There is also a small amoutn of shimmer in the blue and purple. Usually I wet my brushes a bit when dipping it in the color. But because this is so well pigmented, I don't need to wet my brush. It lasts all day for me, even without a primer. The packaging is a little bulky, but it's also secure. i can put this in a purse or weekend bag without breakign the compact. The clasp has a nice magnetic clasp that clamps down. THis is my second Too Faced palette, and I love the smooth application and pigmentation of the shadows.

I absolutely love this palette! So easy to blend and the colors are awesome. I'll buy again and again.