Too Faced Smokey Eye Collection

Too Faced Smokey Eye Collection
Too Faced Shadow PalettesSmokey Eye CollectionToo Faced Smokey Eye palette

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this palette and use it every day. Originally I had the Sephora smokey pallete but there was just too many shades I didn't use (it's very much 'cool' shades) and many were very glittery and too 'loose' and would fall all over my face. One of the reasons I love this palette is that the browns are not too orangey which is what I tend to find with many other products

For day wear, I use 'white lie' as a highlighter on the browbone and the inner corner. I then use 'firefly' on the lid and then a blend of 'cloves' and 'nice ash' in the crease and smudged under the lower lashline. I then use a blend of 'up in smoke' and 'smoking hot' as a liner in the out corner of the lower waterline and a little on the top lid (and flicked out). I fill my brows with 'smoking hot'

For evening I use 'white lie' as before, a blend of 'up in smoke' and 'nice ash' all over the lid and under the lower lashline, a light amount of cloves/nice ash slightly above the crease, and smoking hot in the crease

I don't use the bottom row as my eyes are green and brown so these cool tones don't suit me - but they would be great for blue eyes

For a really dressy look I usually use the sephora palette as they have more shimmery colours but I have to be a lot more careful with the application

Pros - buildable, blendable, highly pigmented shadows. Good colour choice, Lovely packaging. No mess when applying and long-wearing
Cons - shadows are too small and highlighters too big. Would be better for me to have some green tones instead of the 3 blue-based tones

on 2/18/2013 7:46:00 AM

Really a nice combination of colors. They are well pigmented, not too much fall out and the glitter is minimal......very nice soft shimmer shades. They all blend well and do not irritate my eyelids.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The old Smokey eye palette has been discontinued. It's no longer for sale on the Too Faced website, so that means it's gone for good. This is the replacement, and so far it's getting a lot more positive feedback on here and the internet. I've never bought anything from Too Faced before today. Not that I don't buy a lot of moderate to high end products, but I didn't know how to approach Too Faced or even know much about the brand other than their eye primer. Some of their packaging is over the top to me or too flashy, but I love the eye palettes and their whimsical themes with pinups, fairies, or glitter. These are more compact than they used to be and they take up less space. You have to have your own brushes and mirror. It's not an on the go palette, but you can travel with it easily. For $36, you get three large highlights as you can see, and six colors in various shimmers and mattes. The silver highlight is opaque and intense, metallic with the right primer. I'd use LA Splash sealer/base with that one since those shades tend to be heavier unless you have a sticky base. I'm going to test it for a week or two and update, but so far it's really good. I also like the "midnight glamour in a garden" them for this palette.

The Too Faced website describes these shades as:
1. Firefly: silvery taupe
2. Cloves: Bronzey brown
3. Up In Smoke: Blackened brown
4. White Lie: Sugar white
5.Nice Ash: charcoal
6.Smokin' Hot: matte black
7.In A Flash: silver shimmer
8.Smoking Jacket: Black plum, I'd call it a chrome purple.
9. Smolder: matte navy

on 11/13/2011 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This review is for the NEW Smokey Eye palette/collection from TF (they had an earlier one that didn't appeal to me at all). It might have been helpful if they'd called this "Vol. 2" or something, rather than just using a different spelling of "Smoky" - would maybe have avoided a bit of confusion. This is my 4th Too Faced palette and I've been delighted with all of them. This one is no exception. This is a collection of primarily cool-toned shades that I am really loving.

Even for an "old gal" like me, the colours are extremely wearable. My favourite look is the "Day" look because I simply love both Cloves (a glowy bronzey dark tan - it has become one of my all time favourite colours) and Up In Smoke (a matte dark brown/grey shade...that sort of perfect dark shadowy colour that looks like a shadow). While it's called "Day", this can be made very dramatic and "dangerous", if you wish! I'm not heavily into silvers so In a Flash isn't a colour I'd have bought on my own but Smoking Jacket (a rich purple) is gorgeous and the whole palette is very well thought out - the colours all look great together, whether you follow the suggestions on the cards that are always included with these palettes or choose to create your own looks or combine these shadows with others you already have. Texture is perfect - easily blendable, apply very well and are very pigmented. Definitely one I'd repurchase and recommend. Oh, and I hope the people at Too Faced get really smart and release Cloves as a single shadow, available on its own. It is SO gorgeous and unlike any other eyeshadow I own.

Video Reviews & Tutorials