Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

3.9

Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut ) Oil*, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Magnifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Silk Protein, Ammonium Salt, Melia Azadiratcha (Neem) Seed Oil,Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed oil, Sorbitol Esters, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Caprylyl Glycol, Essential Oil Blend, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract

I am a redhead with 2c very coarse, extremely prone to frizz, but yet fine hair. It was months and months I wanted to try this smoothie but I was always intimidated by the fact it is mainly marketed towards ethnic hair. Well finally I did try it, and wow, amazing. I have to add that I live in South Florida and that it is July now and humidity is brutal. This smoothie is just fantastic in providing curl definition and frizz protection. I was afraid it could make my hair too greasy but it didn't. I paired it with kinky curly custard on wet hair to seal moisture and it worked beautifully. It works incredibly well to revive 2nd and 3rd day hair too. A winner.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Love this product for reducing frizz and shaping curls, I've been using it for over 2 1/2 years now. The scent is very fruity and tropical, the texture is thick and creamy. It's best applied with a light hand and built up if necessary, otherwise it can be greasy. I avoid using it at the roots of my hair, instead I use the Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in for the flyaway hairs near the roots. The tub isn't the most convenient packaging as it's quite large and clunky, instead I buy it in the smaller tube so that I can with it for on-the-go touch ups. I have wavy/curly hair that tends to be dry and is currently hip length so I only use gentle products for it, all Shea Moisture products with the exception of using Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Mask every third wash. After shampooing + conditioning I apply the Shea Moisture JBCO leave-in to damp hair, add the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Finishing Elixir after the leave-in absorbs and the finally the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Sometimes I switch between using the smoothie second and the elixir third. I continue styling with all three until the next wash cycle.

To Read all 98 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/15/2016 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

This doesn't really suit my 4c hair, i use very little otherwise it flakes with lots of residue without giving me the curling result. I still find it useful in my hair kit though; currently using it as the cream in my LOC method.

on 3/25/2016 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'm Caucasian, for the record. My 3a/b curls are baby fine, dense and need strong hold products to be all they can be. This is certainly not a product I use for hold. Mostly, I use this as a leave in conditioner on wash days when I'm just putting my hair up and want some slight hold and smoothing. This makes my hair soft but doesn't do anything in terms of holding my hair together like a gel would. As a leave in under a strong hold gel, it loosens the hold a bit (from the oils) so I need to be light handed. I wouldn't repurchase, as I can't use this a stand alone product and I'm not overly wowed by it even for how I use it. As far as the smell, it smells pretty great but has a "heaviness" to it that I associate with products made with lots of natural oils.

*I have a sneaking suspicion my hair is low porosity which may explain the issues with oil.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Like several other reviewers here, I bought this product not realizing that it is intended primarily for type 3 or 4 ethnic hair. (I am a white woman with type 2a/2b wavy/slight curl hair.) I just saw "for thick and wavy hair" and put it in the cart. After realizing my goof at home, I decided to give it a try anyway. Best "mistake" I have made in a long time! It works wonderfully on my hair, defining and enhancing the curls and waves without the dreaded curl cream "crunch". My hair tends to be very frizzy and this product definitely eliminates most of the frizz. Smells great, too. I agree with other reviewers to use sparingly. I got the big tub, which looks like it is going to last me forever, but I would buy it again.

on 3/2/2016 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I haven't used this a moisturizer or leave in. I've only used it to aid in styling (read: twist outs) my hair so the review comes from this standpoint.

I bought this when I first went natural and wasn't aware of what products to use on my hair yet. I have 4b/4c hair and used this to twist. However, it made my hair super oily (tbh, I think I used it in conjunction with olive oil...youtube told me too), it sometimes wouldn't be dry overnight, and worst of all, I have NO DEFINITION whatsoever. This is better for maybe 3 textures, but 4 textures need something a bit heavier. This would be better as maybe a leave in or detangler.

I have 2c hair and this product leaves my hair dryyyy ,smells absolutely amazing and at first when I apply it its moisturising ,within a hour I get dull and dry hair . I blame the high glycerin content ,which my hair hates .

on 2/8/2016 11:29:00 PM

The curl enhancing smoothie is not good for type 4 natural ladies I have a friend that is 3c and it works well for her but for my 4a/b ladies you may want to use the JBCO line its great for kinky hair types that lack natural shine. I love shea moisture but i will not repurchase anything from the coconut and hibiscus line those products just don't work well enough for my 4a hair for the money spent.

on 1/25/2016 10:22:00 PM

I'm caucasian with 2b/2c hair type. I was worried this product wouldn't work as it's focused more towards ethnic hair in the 4a-4c category. However, I gave it a shot and I was very impressed! My curls are much more defined rather than being frizzed out puffs. I love this and definitely would purchase again. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have thick wavy hair, and this product did not absorb, but sat heavily on my hair. It gave no slip. I will just use it has a hair wax to tame flyaways

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Wash and go Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie eco styler gel 4a 4b hair fine hair by Mrs.Smiley430